Chair: Frances Prockter
Meeting to be held in the Parish Rooms Findern, beginning at 7.30pm. All welcome.
Declarations of interest
Minutes of last meeting
Finance and fundraising
Notifications and correspondence
Bridlepath diversion, Crow Park Way
Visit from Debbie Court, 21.07.06
Bird sanctuary, please bring ideas for names.
Wildflower planting, Ballast Hole Pond and Stanhope Hole.
Tree and shrub planting, Stanhope Hole and Stanhope Wood
Canal tree marking scheme, British Waterways
Bird and insect box installation
Arrangements for Ballast Hole Pond Opening, 2.10.06 at 11am
Evaluation of High Summer Hike, 30.08.06
Wildlife database, please bring entries
Feedback from public consultation, 17.06.06
Arrangements for mowing
Date next meeting, Chair
Minutes of a meeting of the Footpath sub-committee held on 31st August 2006-09-01
Present: Frances Prockter (in the chair), Seymour Bell, Sheila Hughes, Neville Froggatt, Liz Froggatt, Heather Hall, Liz Lenton, Wendy Hithersay, Paul Wilson, Jan Ashford and Joan Tidy.
In attendance: Jackie Howells and Karen Kirkham.
Apologies: Vic Wright, Mary Ross MBE, Cllr Ann Hood, Andy Laxton and Martyn Ford.
Declarations of Interest:
1.Heather and Liz declared membership of Findern Local Crime Reduction Group
Minutes of last meeting held on 6th July 2006:
1.Minutes of the last meeting were agreed as a true record and there were no matters arising.
Finance and Fundraising:
1.Liz announced that she had received £4,500 from the National Lottery and stated that this should be sufficient to take us to next Easter.
2 Liz stated a donation of 2 boxes of daffodil bulbs had been received but as they were of the cultivated variety it was proposed to sell these and use the proceeds to purchase native ones for planting.
Notifications and Correspondence:
1.Liz produced letters received from BTCV inviting volunteers to attend a course to learn about ‘Thrive’ and from ‘Asthma UK’ asking if the group would be interested in organising a charity walk in aid of their organisation. Both letters were discussed briefly but no commitment was made.
2.Liz stated she had correspondence from Derbyshire Wildlife Trust (DWT) asking for volunteers to report the location of veteran trees in the parish. It was generally agreed that this is something the group would like to undertake (but that an action plan should be drawn up in order that this could be done systematically) and Liz stated she would inform the DWT of this decision.
3.Liz reported that the group had been awarded a ‘Green Apple Award’ (but what kind of award is not yet known) and that a member of the group had been invited to attend the award ceremony in London on 3rd November 2006 to accept the award. As the trip is not funded any volunteer would be making the trip at his or her own expense. Nev expressed a wish to attend the ceremony so he will be accepting the award on behalf of the group.
4.The damage to the mural has been reported to the police but as yet the offenders are unknown. Connect will be repairing the wall and CCTV will be considered by FLCR group in an effort to stop the vandalism.
5.Police have also been informed of damage to the pond platform at Stanhope Hole.
6.Problems were reported with people using mini motorbikes. Liz said the police attended in response to one such report and dealt with several adults and children at the time. The police also put up a ‘no motorcycles’ sign but this has been stolen so the problem continues.
Bridle path diversion Crow Park Way:
1.Liz reports that the Highways Agency (HA) doesn’t want the bridle path through the field and that they won’t sell the field to the group until the issue of the bridle path diversion has been settled. It was suggested that the bridle path should go along the metal road until such time as the group owned the field. Liz stated that she would contact Mark Todd MP for advice on how to deal with the HA in this matter.
Visit by Debbie Court of Derbyshire Biodiversity on 21st July 2006:
1.General discussed about the e-mail received from Debbie Court and the suggestions therein.
1.Andy will be meeting group members on Wednesday 7th September at 9.45 am behind the church to attend the right hand field to discuss the bird sanctuary. During discussion it was agreed that it would be nice to use the old field name for the project and suggested it be called the ‘Cope Close Bird Sanctuary.’
2.Wildflower planting at the Ballast Hole Pond will be on Saturday 7th October 2006. Volunteers to meet at the Nadee Restaurant at 9.30 am.
3.Wildflower planting at Stanhope Hole will be on Saturday 28th October 2006. Volunteers to meet behind the church at 9.30 am.
4.Tree planting at Cope Close will be on Wednesday 22nd November 2006. Volunteers to meet behind the church at 9.30 am.
5.British Waterways have stated that they intend to plant a tree every kilometre along the canal towpath.
6.Re the bird and insect boxes donated by Mr Boldison. He will meet Heather and other volunteers behind the church on 23rd September 2006 at 9.30 am for the installation of the boxes.
1.Liz reports that maintenance is going well and is within budget. Frances registered thanks from the chair for all those involved in the maintenance work.
Ballast Hole Pond Opening 2nd October 2006 11 am:
1.Liz states invitations have been sent to British Waterways.
2.Although the actual ceremony is at 11 am members are requested to arrive earlier to ensure that everything is in place and on time.
3.Seymour is to provide the unveiling cloth.
High Summer Hike 30th August 2006:
1.The weather was dry and not too hot so ideal for walking. 13 of us set off and Frances led at a pace that suited all (although Liz and Sheila found it a little slow! through a couple of the fields). The coffee (and loo!) stop at the parish rooms was most welcome before the return to Derby Moor School. There was some disappointment that more local people didn’t attend (group members outnumbered others by 8 to 5) but those who came along thoroughly enjoyed it.
2.It was noted during the hike that some of the stiles need a little maintenance; Liz has the photographic evidence
1.Nev reported going to Cope Close at the beginning of August and seeing lots of different species of wild flowers.
2.Sheila reported seeing a stoat.
Feedback from public consultation 17th June 2006:
1.Nev stated the exhibition in the parish rooms was well attended.
2.A discussion followed about the walks leaflets produced by the group and whether they could be made more available to a wider population, e.g. by posting them with the parish magazine or leaving them in places such as doctors surgeries, public libraries or tourist information offices, in order to make more people aware that they are there.
1.Liz reported that Peter has done a lot of work on the website and that it now boasts panoramic walks.
Arrangements for Mowing:
1.Possibly to be done by Young Offenders.
Any Other Business:
1.Further mention made with regards to the nuisance caused by the mini motorbikes. It was generally agreed that the parish council would deal with this matter.
Date for Next Meeting:
1.The date for the next meeting is Thursday 5th October 2006 at 7.30 pm and the venue is the parish rooms.
2.Jan will be in the chair.
3.Apologies for absence; Frances.