The meeting will be held in Findern Parish Rooms, beginning at 7.30pm. Chair Neville Froggatt. All welcome.
1) Apologies for absence.
2) Declarations of interest.
3) Minutes of meeting held on January 3 2008.
4) Matters arising.
5) Finance and fundraising:
· Breathing Places monitoring
6) Notifications and correspondence
7) Bridleway Diversion
8) Maintenance and usage reports of public rights of way Turnpike Way, Crow Park Way, The Gostilles & Potlocks Path improvements
9) Condition of Village Map & Turnpike Way sign
10) Big Derbyshire Clean Up, 20.2.08 at 10.30am
· Cardales Meadow
· Arrangements for National Nestbox Week, 14.2.08 at 10am
12) Group film
13) Parish Walks programme and walks leaflets
· Distribution of walks leaflets
· Priory Way Walk leaflet
14) South Derbyshire DC Walking Festival 2008
15) Wildlife bank
16) Land acquisition and lease renewal
17) Next meeting, March 6, appointment of Chair and start time.
Present: Mr. N Froggatt (Chair), Mrs. J Tidy, Mrs. Hithersay, Mrs. R Ross MBE JP, Mrs. J Ashford, Mrs. L Lenton, Mrs. H Hall, Mrs. A Evans, Mr. A Laxton, Mr. S Bell, Mr. M Orme, and Mr. V S Wright.
Mrs. L Froggatt, Mrs. F Prockter and Mrs. S Hughes.
2. Declarations of interest:
The Clerk stated that following a seminar at SDDC it was not necessary for volunteers to either complete a declaration of interest form or sign the declarations of interest book.
3. Minutes of the last meeting held on the 3rd January 2008:
The minutes of the last meeting held on the 1st November 2007 were then accepted as a true record, proposed by Mr. Orme, seconded by Mrs.Lenton with all in favour.
4. Matters Arising:
The mower had been returned to the suppliers for repair of an oil leak and fitting of a new tank under warranty.
The church PPC are meeting this week when the matter of the Easter egg search will be discussed.
Mr. Froggatt had found a push/tipping/tow trailer for the mower at a cost of £179 built or £159 self assembly. Approval was given by the group to go ahead with the purchase.
ACTION-Mr. Froggatt. The matter of storage has to be investigated.
5. Finance and Fundraising:
Mrs. Ross announced that the reserve account stood at £6132.16 and the current account at £2352.99.
Mr. Bell suggested that a third column should be included in the accounts to show funds ringfenced for projects.
Three applications have been made for funding for the Cardales meadow (Esmee Fairburn, Garfield Weston and Naturesave) and copies of the applications were requested from the Clerk.
An application has also been made to DCC Greenaction grant for the paths in Cote Close and Stanhope Hole following an e-mail from Debbie Court informing that DCC have an underspend.
A letter had been received from the Naturesave Trust requiring elaboration-ACTION-The Clerk.
A proposal was made to await the result of these applications before submitting any more.
Concern was expressed over the underspend on plans with respect to the Breathing Places award. Advice had been received to the effect that an underspend/overspend of up to £500 per item is permissible it would be preferable to limit the figure to £200 for that item.
It was proposed by Mrs. Tidy, seconded by Mrs. Ross with all in favour that Mrs. Hall and Mrs. Lenton liaise with Mrs. Froggatt to assess what plants are necessary, preorder from Naturescape and pay the account to reduce the underspend.
The matter of furniture is being pursued and quotations have been requested. The proposal was made for a circular version.
6: Communications and Notifications:
The Clerk had obtained a hedgerow survey book in anticipation of the ancient hedgerow survey. The Historical Society had no maps showing ancient hedgerows and suggested examining the large map in the village hall. Mr. Orme thought there might be some suitable maps in the DCC archive at Matlock.
Following advice from BTCV the Clerk had simply replied to both DCC and the Environment Agency expressing support for the inclusion of a biodiversity indicator in the Derbyshire Local Area Agreement (LAA).
A new password has been obtained for the BBC Breathing Places Website. A letter of thanks has been sent to Michael Atkins regarding stiles and bird boxes on his land.
A letter of thanks had been sent to the Derby Evening Telegraph for the services rendered by the Community Payback Service.
The Countryside events booklet had now been placed in libraries and Tourist Information Centres.
The Chatsworth Park tree survey is going ahead, but the Group will not be represented.
PCSO Amanda Beer has seen a blue trail bike being ridden on Greenway and Common Piece Lane and Group members were requested to be vigilant.
Mr. Bell had hung a picture taken at the last awards ceremony on the wall of the Parish Rooms, but it appeared to have gone missing.
Mr. Laxton said that he had funding for a leaflet for another walk in Findern, a circular one preferred. After some discussion Mr. Froggatt agreed to lead a party incorporating Priory Way, Heatherton Village, Rykneld Road, Burton Road and Doles Lane on 19th February at 10 a.m. Historical aspects of the walk are to be referred to the Historical Society.
7. Bridleway Diversion:
Peter White (DCC) had informed the Group that he was confident of completing the bridleway diversion and the programme of work during 2008.
8: Maintenance and Usage report on public rights of way:
D Adkins (SDDC) had arranged for a contractor to repair the stile on Rushy Meadow Way at Lower Green, was writing to Severn Trent with regard to repairs to the road by the locked gate, organise a contractor to repair the fence by the steps on Crow Park Way and temporary surface work by the canal. Also the stiles are to be removed from the Potlocks path and replaced by kissing gates, the Group to pay for the gates and SDDC pay for the contractor. Kissing gates are to be placed at each end of Turnpike Way with clapper gates in the middle, the Group to pay for the kissing gates, DCC to supply the clapper gates and SDDC to pay for the contractor. D Adkins is also to organize a contractor to repair the rail on the Gostilles.
Cllr. Mrs. Ann Hood is to progress the work.
ACTION-Cllr. Mrs A Hood.
9: Condition of Village Map and Turnpike Way sign:
Still no reply had been received form Caliba and a letter is to be sent to the managing director. ACTION-The Clerk.
10: Big Derbyshire Clean Up-20-02-08 at 10.30 a.m.
Mr. and Mrs. Froggatt, Mrs. J Ashford, Mrs. L Lenton, Mrs. Ross and Mr. Orme volunteered their services and were provided with t-shirts as the press is attending the event. Mrs. Hall is to provide litter-picking sticks including one from the Lengthsman and posters are to be displayed on the notice boards. Brook Close had requested the loan of three tables from the Parish rooms for the refreshments-ACTION-Mrs. L Lenton.
Cardales- The ground on the test area had been broken up after ploughing and wildflower seed sowing was planned for Saturday 9th February 2008 at 10.00 a.m. Preweighing of the seed will be required and group members attending were requested to bring rakes.
A surplus rooted Christmas tree is to be planted in the area of the sewage works on the advice of Mr. Laxton.
The Group is to fill in gaps in Mr. Hicklin’s hedge.
National Nestbox Week-Hard hats are required but Mr. Froggatt said numbers would depend on ladders available. Hammers and nails would also be required.
Permission had been given to site 5 nestboxes in the Churchyard and a letter of thanks is to be sent. ACTION-The Clerk. The programme was agreed as completing the Turnpike Way boxes first, coffee in the Parish Rooms and then moving on to the Church.
12: Group Film:
Peter White of DCC is to attend as many Group events as possible during 2008 with a camcorder and editing the film at the end of the year.
13: Parish Walks programme and walks leaflets:
Mr. Orme offered to distribute the Findern Historical walk leaflets to the hotels and copies are to be supplied to the mobile library.
The Priory Way walk has been rescheduled for Sunday 14th September 2008 commencing at 2.00 p.m.
14: South Derbyshire District Council Walking Festival:
Now retitled the National Forest Walking Festival. The booklet is not yet available as amendments are still being made. It should be going to the printers soon after 13/02/08 and, hopefully, will be available for the next Steering Group meeting on Thursday 03/04/08.
15: Wildlife Bank:
Details are now available on the Group’s website.
A sparrowhawk, pheasant and buzzard had been observed.
5 members of the Group had completed the RSPB birdwatch survey.
16: Land Acquisition and Lease Renewal:
Mr. Bell drew attention to the triangular plot of land on the LHS of the road leading out of the village approaching the A50 bridge and belonging to the Highways Agency. The land had the potential for a wildlife habitat or a wetland area. A suitable use is to be discussed by the Group and the Parish Council and will be placed on the agenda for future meetings. ACTION-The Clerk.
The leases for Cardales meadow and Cote Close (Highways Agency) and Stanhope Wood are due for renewal during 2008. ACTION-The Clerk.
Date of next Meeting: 06/03/08 in the Parish Rooms commencing 7.00 p.m. Chair-Mrs. Tidy.
The meeting concluded at 9. 08 p.m.