The meeting will be held in Findern Parish Rooms, commencing at 7pm. The press and the public are invited to attend.
Chair: Seymour Bell
The meeting will begin with a safety talk for using the Westwood mower. This will take place on the grass outside the parish rooms.
1) Apologies for absence.
2) Declarations of interest (parish councillors).
3) Minutes of meeting held on April 3 2008.
4) Matters arising.
5) Finance and fundraising:
· Breathing Places monitoring
6) Notifications and correspondence
7) Public rights of way reports & stile replacement programme
9) Project planning
· Cardales Meadow
· Wildflower planting (Warburton’s finance)
· Action Earth events
10) Event planning
· National Forest Walking Festival launch (17.5.08)
· Findern Historical Walk (22.5.08)
· Findern-Willington Circular Walk (19.5.08)
11) Wildlife bank
12) Next meeting, June 5, appointment of Chair.
Present: Seymour Bell (Chair), Joan Tidy, Liz Froggatt, Wendy Hithersay, Anne Evans, Heather Hall, Mary Ross MBE JP, Neville Froggatt, Sheila Wilson
Frances Prockter, Mike Orme, Liz Lenton, Sheila Hughes, Jan Ashford, Paul Wilson
2. Declarations of Interest
3. Minutes of last meeting held on 6th March 2008
Minutes reviewed and agreed to be an accurate record.
4. Matters arising
Liz asked if the lease renewal (item 4e) had been paid. Mary and Seymour both agreed it had but Seymour will get confirmation at the next Parish Council meeting.
5. Finance and Fundraising
a) Mary handed out copies of the Receipts and Payments Account for the year ending 31st March 2008. However, Mary added that since 31/03/08 a further expenditure of £1,980 had been made so the current account now stands at £371.23p.
b) Seymour reported that the Internal Auditor had resigned so a replacement will be sought by the Parish Council to audit the group’s account.
c) The invoice for the new seat for Stanhope Wood has been received and the cost is £1,197.
d) The group has won a £10 Marks and Spencer voucher for our efforts in an earlier “CSV make a difference day” event.
e) A cheque for £750 has been received from Naturesave for the 2 ‘A’ frames which have been installed in Cardales Meadow.
Liz lead the group in extending thanks to Mary for the work she has done, and continues to do, to keep our accounts in order.
a) Liz reports that our application for a grant from Garfield Weston has failed. She adds that funding is proving harder to get (possible reasons may be firms and other bodies opting to use funds to promote themselves to a wider audience via events such as the London Olympics) but vows to carry on filling in those application forms.
b) In February the group applied to DCC for £500 to lay short stretches of path in various project areas. Liz states she has been informed that the money is being processed and that we will get it but we don’t know when.
6. Notifications and Correspondence
a) Liz handed round copies of Biodiversity News and The Great of Derbyshire newsletter for Spring 2008.
b) Liz states she has entered Findern for a “Village of the Year” award. There are four categories and she thinks we may have a chance in the environment section.
c) A letter has been received from Debbie Court, Biodiversity Project Officer, asking for details of our activities over the past year. Joan will complete the questionnaire and return it to Debbie.
d) Liz showed the group a copy of the letter she has written to Peter White asking for funds (£6,000) to help with stile replacement. (see item 7a)).
e) Naturesave has sent us the sign they want us to display as per the agreement for the £750 they donated for the ‘A’ frames at Cardales Meadow.
7. Public rights of way reports and stile replacement programme
a) Following his visit on Friday 18/04/08 Dave Atkins stated he couldn’t see any problems replacing the stiles along footpaths 1, 3 and 5 with kissing gates and advised writing to Peter White DCC for funds to carry out these improvements.
b) Peter White informs us that provided no objections are received £30,000 worth of improvements could be made to the bridleway along the edge of the canal towards Stenson by the end of May.
c) Liz reports that footpaths 7, 10 and 11 have been cleared by the probationers and that the fingerpost by the windmill will be replaced on Saturday.
8. Seat Maintenance
The new seat will soon be delivered and installed in Stanhope Wood. There is still a lot of life left in the old one and ideas are sought as to where it can best be of use. The group were happy for the seat to be installed in Cardales Wildflower Meadow or Stanhope Wood. Wendy and Heather agreed to visit and assess these sites and will bring their findings to the next meeting.
Action: Heather and Wendy
9. Project Planning
a) Cardales Meadow is going well and it was agreed to use the £100 donated by Warburton’s to buy “robust plugs” for the project. Wendy volunteered to visit the Naturescape website and report her findings at the next meeting.
b) £50 donated by Action Earth has bought plants for the Ballast Hole Pond. Group members will meet at the Nadee at 10 am on 5th June for planting.
c) £50 donated by Action Earth has bought 2 bee boxes. Group members will meet at Lower Green at 10 am on 23rd June for installation in Cote Close and Ballast Hole Pond.
10) Event Planning
a) National Forest Walking Festival launch 17/05/08 - Joan and Jan.
b) Willington Findern Circular Walk 19/05/08 – Joan, Liz Lenton, Wendy, Sheila Hughes.
c) Findern Historical Walk 22/05/08 – Neville, Liz Froggatt, Liz Lenton, Wendy, Sheila Hughes, Joan
11. Wildlife Bank
More sightings handed to Joan to update. Some members were having difficulty printing or reading the sightings so Joan will amend the form. Liz states she has sent an e-mail to Devmac Systems accepting their offer to update our website free of charge and is waiting to hear from them.
12. Next meeting and chair
Next meeting June 5th 2008 at 1900 hours. Liz Froggatt to chair.