The meeting will be held in the Parish Rooms, beginning at 7pm. All welcome.
1) Apologies for absence.
2) Declarations of interest (parish councillors).
3) Minutes of meeting held on July 3 2008.
4) Matters arising.
5) Finance and fundraising:
· East Midlands Airport Funding
· Awards for All funding
7) Public rights of way reports & stile replacement programme
8) Project planning
· Cardales Meadow, wildflower planting.
· Picnic bench, Stanhope Wood
· Path laying, Cardales Meadow, Stanhope Hole Pond & Cote Close
· Repairs to damaged information boards
9) Commemorative trees
10) Event planning
· ‘Times Past’ Walk (14.9.08, 2pm.)
· Make A Difference Day
· Do One Thing Day
11) Wildlife bank
12) Next meeting, September 4, appointment of Chair.
Present: Neville Froggatt (Chair), Liz Froggatt, Mary Ross MBE JP , Wendy Hithersay, Heather Hall, Liz Lenton, Mike Orme, Joan Tidy
Frances Prockter, Jan Ashford, Seymour Bell, Sheila Hughes, Anne Evans, Cllr Ann Hood
2. Declarations of Interest
3. Minutes of last meeting held on 3rd July 2008
Minutes reviewed and agreed to be an accurate record.
4. Matters Arising
Joan and Liz attended the National Forest Walking Festival evaluation meeting at Rosliston on 10th July 2008. During the meeting we said that as a group we had enjoyed taking part and that we had learned a lot but we again expressed our feelings concerning the title of the festival. It was generally agreed that the festival had been a success and it is to be staged again next year from the 16th to 25th of May. Despite efforts to have the four meetings staged at different venues, all are to take place at Rosliston on the following dates: 25th September 2008, 11th December 2008, 5th February 2009, 9th April 2009 and all will start at 10am. Further discussions about the group’s involvement in next year’s festival will be held at future meetings.
5. Finance and Fundraising
Mary has not received a bank statement re the current account but estimates it stands at £934.62p.
The Parish Council books have been audited but we are still waiting for a report for our accounts. It is anticipated that the report will show that changes in procedure will have to be made.
i) Debbie Court (Lowland Derbyshire Biodiversity Partnership) has promised us £500 towards plants for Cardales Meadow.
ii) EMA has awarded us £1231.28p towards the cost of an information board for Cardales Meadow. (The amount to be claimed when the work is completed).
iii) The application for funding to Radio Derby was unsuccessful.
iv) The National Tree Council have invited us to apply for £100 for trees, shrubs and hedging.
i) Complaints have been received concerning cars being driven along the towpath to the boats moored there. These were passed onto British Waterways who have placed a bollard beneath the arch.
ii) Kate Allies informs us that she is planning to bring all South Derbyshire groups together twice a year to compare projects and exchange ideas etc.
iii) Findern won the Environment category in the Calor Village of the Year (Derbyshire) competition and received a framed certificate and a cheque for £150.
iv) John in the village stores informs us that he is to start serving tea and coffee.
v) PC Chris Fearn is setting up a ‘Canal Watch’ scheme for walkers, boaters and fisherman with which the group will be involved.
vi) Letter received from Debbie Court (Lowland Derbyshire Biodiversity Partnership) re an annual forum to be held on Saturday 11th October 2008.
vii) Letter received re a Changing Spaces Funding Event to be held on 14th August 2008.
viii) Debbie Court is to visit us on 23rd September 2008 at 2pm.
ix) The group’s membership of the Lowland Derbyshire Biodiversity Partnership has been renewed.
x) We have been invited by the Dove Valley Community Project to the opening of the Thistly Place Meadow at Hatton on Friday 3rd October 2008 at 12 noon.
xi) A letter has been received confirming the Greenwatch grant.
xii) Letter received asking if we would like to be involved in ‘Make a Difference Day’ and it was agreed that we would.
xiii) Communication received from the Woodland Trust who are conducting an Ancient Tree Hunt. Joan will e-mail them all the details of our Veteran Tree Survey.
7. Public rights of way reports and stile replacement programme
Footpaths 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 10 and 11 have all been mown and strimmed. Liz states we have already spent £347.00 from our minor maintenance funding of £385.00, which is intended to cover expenditure until April 2009.
8. Project Planning
The hay has to be harvested (Neville will speak to Mr Barker) so that seeds can be sown and plugs planted on and in the ploughed experimental area. It is intended that the sowing and planting will be done as part of the BBC’s ‘Do one thing’ initiative.
Picnic bench Stanhope Wood
The group chose the oval design.
Path laying at Cardales Meadow, Stanhope Hole Pond and Cote Close to be undertaken during October when the mowing season ends
Damaged information boards
Neville will stick the boards back onto the stands and get Dave Tidy to help with cementing them back into the ground.
9. Commemorative Trees
Cllr Ann Hood would like to plant a rowan tree to commemorate her year as Chair of South Derbyshire District Council.
Heather has received a request from a parishioner who would like to plant a tree in memory of her late husband. It was agreed that memorial trees should all be planted in one site, i.e. Stanhope Wood. The lady is invited along to the next meeting to discuss her request.
10. Event Planning
Times Past Walk
Sunday 14th September 2008 meet Derby Moor School 1.45 pm. Several members said they were free to attend, final details to be confirmed at the next meeting.
‘Make a Difference Day’
The group is keen to take part and the date set aside is Tuesday 28th October 2008 at 10 am. The actual event/project will be discussed at the next meeting.
11. Wildlife Bank
Sightings handed to Joan for adding to the database.
12. Next Meeting
To be held on Thursday 4th September 2008 at 1900 hours and chaired by Heather.