1) Apologies for absence.
2) Declarations of interest (parish councillors).
3) Minutes of meeting held on September 4 2008.
4) Matters arising
5) Finance and fundraising
6) Communications and notifications
7) National Forest Walking Festival 2009 steering group meeting 25.9.08
8) Report from Parish Council finance committee meeting, 5.9.08
9) Evaluation of Big Tidy Up, ‘Times Past’ Walk.
10) Visit Debbie Alston, DCC Biodiversity Project Officer, 23.9.08
11) Public rights of way reports & stile replacement programme, including visit by Dave Adkins, 26.9.08
12) Arrangements for group visits
· Thistley Meadow Nature Reserve, Hatton, 3.10.08
· South Derbyshire Wildlife Forum, 4.11.08
13) Group newsletter
14) Project planning
· Cardales Meadow
· CSV’Make A Difference’ Day, 28.10.08
· Tree For All, 1.12.08
15) Wildlife bank
16) Christmas meal
17) Next meeting, November 7, appointment of Chair.
Present: Wendy Hithersay (Chairman), Liz Froggatt, Neville Froggatt, Sheila Hughes, Joan Tidy, Heather Hall, Seymour Bell, Mary Ross MBE, Mike Orme, Peter Handley
In attendance: Peter Shackleton (Clerk), Jenny Smith – member of the public
Jan Ashford, Cllr. Ann Hood, Liz Lenton, Frances Prockter, Ann Evans
2.Declarations of Interest
3.Minutes of Last Meeting
Minutes reviewed – amendments Ann Evans present, Minute 8 Dave Adkins not Don Adkins. With these amendments the minutes were agreed to be an accurate record
4.Matters Arising The picnic bench had been installed. The Clerk was asked to check it was covered on the insurance
It was commented that the old bench also looked good alongside the hedge by the tow path.
5.Finance and Fundraising
There was a request for items for next year’s budget. It was agreed to request funding of 2 benches cost £800 + delivery
Joan Tidy had notification of a “Wear it Pink Day” – Friday 31st in aid of Cancer Charities.
It was agreed to meet at 10.30am at the Lower Green £2 per person.
Liz had ring PC Chris Fearns about complaints of shooting in the field alongside the Tow path. This is not illegal unless shooting is actually across the path.
A card had been received from Frances thanking the group for the cards and good wishes.
PC Chris Fearns had been in touch re Safer Neighbourhoods and the canal watch scheme. The Footpaths group had been invited to join. A pack could be picked up at the marina. Heather hall agreed to see to this matter.
The lease on Stanhope Wood was due – a letter had been received stating it was the intention to renew for another 5 years – a letter will be sent confirming the groups intention to renew.
A Funding Fair was being held on Wednesday October 22 at Sharp’s Pottery Swadlincote. Joan Tidy agreed to attend this event
A circular had been received from Alan and Sylvia Williams – who had previously given a talk on Barn Owls. They are willing to come and speak on Living with Nature for a fee of £50 plus 40p per mile travelling. Mary agreed to look into organising this event.
A letter had been received from Derby City Council with regard to “Let’s go Wild in Derbyshire”. After some discussion it was agreed to meet to try out a circular walk. Meet at Lower Green Friday 14 November at 10.00 am.
Cllr Ann Hood had passed on a flyer re a garden tree and bulb give away which would feature in the Burton Mail from the last week of October onwards.
A British Waterways hand out re identifying wild life along the canal was circulated.
7.National Walking Festival 2008
No one had been able to attend the meeting of the Steering Group on September 25th but a request had been made for the minutes. The event will take place Saturday May 16 to Monday May 25th 2009.
The next meeting was on 11th December and Joan Tidy would attend.
8Evaluation of Big Tidy Up, ‘Times Past’ Walk
“ What a load of Rubbish!!” One outcome was the need for more litter sticks and bag rings. It was resolved to ask the Parish Council to buy 6 litter sticks (approx £10 each) and 6 bag rings (approx. £5 each)
9.Debbie Alston, DCC Biodiversity Project Officer had cancelled and a new date would be after Christmas.
10. Public Right of Way /Stile Replacement
Liz stated that the path by the canal was to be resurfaced. Peter at Derbyshire County Council would then like an event to celebrate this. There would be some problem with regard to the level crossing during the time when the path was closed. Extra signs were ready to be put up. Joan and Wendy volunteered to look after the extra signage. Liz gave an account of an attempt had been made to walk the path to Starbucks at the new service area at Toyota Island Dave Adkins, Seymour, Nev and Dave Tidy had been along. It had been a large cutting job!! Liz was going to write to the council about the state of the footpath and the crossing of the slip roads at the island. 11.Arrangements for Group Visits
Thistley Meadows Nature Reserve 3/10/08. Meet at Lower Green at 11.30 am. 10 places were booked.
South Derbyshire Wildlife Forum – the inaugural meeting would be at Repton Village Hall at 7.00 pm on 4th November.
Some costs had been obtained. 800 copies in black and white - £32 800 colour copies £155 or £188.
After some discussion it was agreed to look into the possibility of obtaining a colour copier/printer. Grant funding may be available.
·Cardales Meadows – Mr Hicklin will chain harrow the site as soon as he is asked and someone is available to let him in to the field. Neville will cut the field then inform Wendy and Heather who will inform Mr Hicklin It was agreed to buy Mr Hicklin a tin of biscuits.
·Make a difference day – October 28th. Meet at Lower Green at 10.00
·Tree for all. Meet at 10.00 to start planting. Cllr Ann Hood will arrive at 11.00 to plant her tree. Then there will be refreshments.
Jenny Smith (member of the public) would also like to plant an oak tree in memory of her mother. The group advised her about how to go about getting a plaque etc.
Liz would send out invitations and had priced up the plaque
A Kingfisher had been reported and a Cormorant had been seen on Tidy up day.
15 Christmas Meal
After some discussion Cherry Tree Farm is first choice for the 15 or 16 December
Second Choice – Littleover Lodge. Joan and Heather to organise
This will take place on November 6th at 7.00 pm – Joan to Chair.
The meeting closed at 8.45 pm.