This meeting will be held on February 5 at 7pm. All welcome.
1. To receive apologies for absence.
2. Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
3. To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on December 4.
7. Matters arising.
8. Finance and fundraising
9. Communications and notifications
· Living With Nature, 4.02.09.
11. Event planning.
· Joint activities with Methodist chapel and Brownies.
· Do One Thing For Birds, 18.02.09
· National Forest Walking Festival
· Visits to Thistley Place & Calke Park
12. Public rights of Way reports and stile replacement programme.
· Little Derby Way/Willington route and implications of possible Burnaston Cross development.
· Bridleway diversion
13. Group newsletter.
14. Project planning for 2009.
15. Review of Wildlife bank.
16. Next meeting March 5-appointment of chair.
Present: Sheila Hughes (Chair), Liz Lenton, Liz Froggatt, Neville Froggatt, Peter Handley, Joan Tidy, Wendy Hithersay, Heather Hall, Mike Orme, Seymour Bell, Andrew Laxton.
Mary Ross MBE, Anne Evans, Maureen and Stephen Parnell, Frances Prockter.
2. Declarations of Interest
3. Minutes of last meeting held on 4th December 2008
Minutes of the previous meeting were reviewed and agreed to be an accurate record.
4. Matters arising
5. Finance and Fundraising
· Current Account stands at £1,486
· Reserve Account stands at £4,813.58p, of which £13.77p is quarterly interest.
£17 raised at the Living with Nature event is to be used for tea and coffee etc.
6. Communications and Notifications
a) Liz, Seymour, Maureen, Steve and Joan attended the ‘Fit for the Future’ event at Toyota where views were expressed and ideas exchanged.
b) Liz to inform Network Rail re the damage to Stenson Bridge and to contact Mark Todd MP with a view to enlisting his help liaising with British Waterways re the repair of same.
c) Kate Allies has planned the next 12 months meetings of the forum group:- 4th March at Swadlincote Town Hall (meet behind the church 6.15pm to car share), 15th July in Methodist Chapel Findern, 29th September at Hatton and 25th November at Swadlincote Town Hall.
d) Biffa Award small grants applications are open for grants of up to £5,000.
e) British Waterways are planning a Towpath Tidy at the end of March.
f) Liz has copies of Derbyshire Biodiversity News.
g) A public enquiry is to be held re the proposed Burnaston Cross development. It was decided that as the site is in Willington Parish and does not affect any of our projects, we would not be asking Findern Parish Council to make any recommendations.
h) Derbyshire County Council website now has a link to ‘Grant Net’ funding. The group has registered.
i) Re inadequate pedestrian crossings at Toyota Island, a letter has been received from Willington Parish Council declining to offer us their support.
j) Liz reported that Liz Lenton was bitten by a dog when pushing a flyer through a letterbox so everyone is warned to take care.
k) Liz passed round a Christmas card to the group from Mark Todd MP.
l) Liz passed round a thank you card from Mr Cox.
m) Correspondence received from Debbie Alston re the worm survey-taking place between March and May. Nev to organise.
The ‘Living with Nature’ talk went very well and all agreed that we should make our own raptor table and sparrow terrace.
8. Event Planning
a) Liz has been approached separately by Ian Worrall from the Methodist Chapel and the new Brown Owl re their stated wish to become more involved in countryside activities. Heather will contact both to see exactly what they want to do.
b) Planning for the ‘Do one thing’ event on 18th February is well under way. Joan is doing the posters, Neville and Peter are making the bird boxes and Wendy has the seed and lard. The event is from 1 pm to 3 pm but members will meet on The Green at 10 am to set everything up. Andy hopes to be able to get a self-erecting gazebo for this event. The mobile police van is also attending.
c) The National Forest Walking Festival meeting was cancelled due to bad weather.
d) Liz is arranging the visits to Thistley Park and Calke Park.
e) Crime Reduction Group’s Big Derbyshire Clean Up will take place on Wednesday 8th April 2009. Meet at Nadee at 10 am, Sheila arranging lunch at Brooke Close for 12 noon.
f) Liz passed round the final design for the Cardales Meadow Information Board. The cost is £979.93p for which we have funding. The Parish Council are to be asked to approve.
9. Public Rights of Way and Stile Replacement Programme
a) Little Derby Way/Willington route. As the Burnaston Cross development is on Willington Parish is was decided not to make any recommendations to the public enquiry.
b) Andy reports that another clapper gate is to be installed at the end of the bridge on Turnpike Way.
c) The stile at the beginning to Rushy Meadow Way is very loose and it was hoped to replace it with a kissing gate but the landowner doesn’t want one. Liz to refer the matter to Dave Adkins.
d) No further forward in the Bridle Way diversion.
e) Still waiting for the new stiles etc on Priory Way. Request made to Ann Hood to chase up on our behalf.
10. Group Newsletter
Liz handed round the latest edition and following some amendments will forward it to the Parish Council for approval before taking it to the printers in Willington.
11. Project Planning
Liz handed round a list of the recommendations made at the site meetings in January. Following a discussion it was also decided to try to encourage badgers into Stanhope Wood by making a sett.
12. Review of Wildlife Bank
More effort is to be put into recording our wildlife. Andy offered to come down and help set up excel to record our sightings.
13. Next meeting and appointment of chair
The next meeting will be Thursday 5th March 2009 and will be chaired by Wendy.
All recommendations subject to ratification by Findern Parish Council.