The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Parish Rooms on Thursday 2 April 2009commencing at 7.00pm. The press and public are cordially invited to attend.
1. To receive apologies for absence.
2. Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
3. To confirm minutes of the meeting held on March 5.
4. Matters arising.
5. Finance and fundraising
6. Communications and notifications
7. Visit from Sudbury Prison Service 20.3.09
8. Results of Opal Soil and Earthworm Survey.
9. Project planning
· Five-pond project
· Mammal cairns
· Cardales Meadow path
10. Event planning.
· Joint activities with Methodist chapel and Brownies.
· Big Derbyshire Clean Up, 8.4.09
· Do One Thing for Birds, 28.10.09
· Easter Festival, 11.4.09
· Village of the Year 2009
11. Public rights of way reports and stile replacement programme.
12. Group newsletter and website.
13. Wildlife site maintenance.
14. Wildlife bank.
15. Next meeting May 7-appointment of chair.
Liz Lenton (in the Chair)
Joan Tidy, Wendy Hithersay, Sheila Hughes, Peter Handley, Heather Hall, Cllr Seymour Bell, Mary Ross MBE, Ann Evans, Cllr Mike Orme.
Ray Milward and the Clerk to the Parish Council were also in attendance.
PART 1 - NON EXEMPT INFORMATION
Before the meeting commenced Liz Lenton welcomed Roy Milward to the meeting and thanked him for attending.
1) Minute Number 014/09/FPG - To receive Apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Jan Ashford, Liz Froggatt, Nev Froggatt, Cllr Ann Hood, Andrew Laxton and Frances Prockter.
2) Minute Number 015/09/FPG – Declaration of Members Interests (Parish Councillors)
There were no Declarations of Members Interests.
3) Minute Number 016/09/FPG – To confirm the Non Confidential Minutes of the Meeting held on 5th March 2009
Resolved: The Non Exempt Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Working Group Meeting held on Thursday 5th March 2009 having been circulated were approved and signed as a true record.
4) Minute Number 017/09/FPG – Matters Arising
There was nothing to report.
5) Minute Number 018/09/FPG – Finance and Funding
Mary Ross MBE explained that although it was no longer her responsibility to maintain the Financial Records she had completed a Financial Statement for the Year End up to 31st March 2009. (Members present were given a copy for information). Mary explained that the Minor Maintenance Scheme reimbursement for the Financial Year 2008/2009 had not yet been received and this was the first time that it had not been received in the correct Financial Year.
Resolved: The Clerk to chase David Adkins at South Derbyshire District Council and ask what the hold up was.
Mary Ross MBE reported that the Footpaths Group would be receiving a grant of £650.00 from the County Council Community Fund to be spent on the Wild Flower Bank at Stanhope Wood.
Mary Ross MBE reported that the County Council were hoping to provide a temporary bridge over the canal subject to an inspection by a surveyor.
6) Minute Number 019/09/FPG Communications and Notifications
Cllr Bell stated that he was very pleased to see the pictures in the local press for the Snow Drop Planting Event at Stanhope Hole.
It was reported that there were two willow trees at Stanhope Hole that were in need of being felled as they were in a dangerous condition.
Resolved: Peter Handley to contact Mr Cox the landowner, and ask if it would be acceptable for the Footpaths Group to arrange the felling of the two trees in question.
Resolved: If Mr Cox agrees Peter Handley to contact David Burchell of Manor Farm for a quotation for the work.
7) Minute Number 020/09/FPG – Visit from Sudbury Prison Service 20.03.2009
Wendy Hithersay reported that she visited Sudbury Prison and had a good walk around. She also explained that she had met with Mr Johnson who would be visiting to cut the grass on 12th April 2009.
8) Minute Number 021/09/FPG – Results of Opal Soil and Earth Worm Survey
Heather Hall reported that the Earth Worm Survey took place in 3 locations, Stanhope Hole, Cardales Meadow and on Heather’s Allotment; however the results had not yet been compiled.
9) Minute Number 022/09/FPG – Project Planning
a. Five-pond Project
Joan Tidy reported that the pond was required to be built professionally; she explained that Liz Froggatt had already contacted the Ponds Trust for advice on this matter.
b. Mammal cairns
Joan Tidy reported that Mr White on Lower Green was donating the stone towards this project.
c. Cardales Meadow path
There was nothing to report.
Heather Hall reported that Liz Froggatt had mentioned her concern over a resident taking the wood from the bottom of Cote Close. It was agreed that the resident did not realise that the wood was not to be taken away and may have thought that they were doing the village a favour.
Resolved: Joan Tidy to produced notices and place them by the wood explaining that the wood was not to be removed.
10) Minute Number 023/09/FPG – Event Planning
a. Joint Activity with the Methodist Chapel and Brownies
Ray Milward explained that different things had been happening in and around the Chapel over the last 12 months with regards to the building work and trying to make more of the building. Cllr Bell replied that they were doing a very good job.
Ray explained that they would like the building to be used more by local people. He explained that they had started a coffee afternoon on a Wednesday and were hoping to start something on Saturday mornings up to lunchtime. He explained that they were trying to set up something for the local walking community to help bring more people into the village. He explained that the plan was to have documented walks of the area and asked if they could modify some of the Footpaths Group information with regards to this.
Resolved: Permission was given to Ray Milward to use some of the Findern Walks as a starting point.
Ray explained that all people taking the Health and Hygiene course were now all fully qualified.
Ray explained that they were also hoping to do lunches on Wednesdays and Saturdays. He explained that all the work that they do is free however, people could leave donations if they so wished. He explained that the intention was not to take anything away from the Parish Rooms with regards to the coffee mornings.
Ray explained that the Chapel’s Anniversary would be on 5th April 2009.
b. Big Derbyshire Clean Up 08.04.2009
The Clerk reported that she had received the six litter pickers along with six high vis jackets, bags and gloves. The Clerk explained that these items had been given to the group for free by Gillian Coats at South Derbyshire District Council.
c. Do One Thing For Birds 28.10.2009
Joan Tidy reported that Liz Froggatt had provisionally booked the bee man for the event. She explained that he would normally charge £50.00 for the session; however he would bring all of the equipment/materials with him on the day including stickers to be put on the bee boxes. She explained that the bee man would usually charge £5.00 per bee box, however Liz Froggatt was looking into alternative funding to allow the group to pay for the boxes in order that they could be given out free on the day.
Peter Handley explained that he was in the process of making the bird boxes, at present he had made 5 including a sparrow box. He said that with the wood he had, he should be able to make about 30 more boxes.
Joan Tidy reported that Liz Froggatt had already completed a funding application for B & Q for more timber towards the project.
Joan Tidy also reported that staff at the Mobile Library had been informed of the event and were very interested in participating.
d. Easter Festival 11.04.2009
There was nothing to report.
e. Village of the Year 2009
Joan Tidy explained that the Footpaths Group were hoping to enter all four categories of the competition this year. She explained that the only thing that needed a resolution to be passed was for who would pay the entrance fees and who would get the winnings.
Resolved: The Clerk to add this to the agenda of the Parish Council Meeting to be held on 9th April 2009.
Joan Tidy reminded all present of the Walking Festival. The Findern and Willington Circular Walk to be held on 18th May 2009 commencing at 10.30am at Lower Green, and the Crow Park Way Walk with Andy Laxton to be held on 21st May 2009 commencing at 7pm at the Village Hall car park.
Joan Tidy also reported that she would be attending a meeting at Moira Youth Hostel on Thursday 9th April 2009 with regards to the National Forest Walking Festival if anybody else was interested in attending. She explained that she would be collecting the leaflets.
11) Minute Number 024/09/FPG – Public rights of way report and stile replacement programme
Joan Tidy reported that some of the stiles had been replaced on Priory Way however, there was a problem at the Brook where they had taken out the stile and installed a gate with a four foot drop the other side. She suggested that this matter should be discussed with David Adkins from South Derbyshire District Council when he attends the meeting with the group on 9th April 2009.
Joan Tidy also reported that David Adkins, Zoe Sewter and a representative from the Planning Department at South Derbyshire District Council would be attending a meeting on 29th April 2009 to follow up on the future development of the overall plan for the village. Liz Froggatt will email the group with times so that whoever wants to attend, can attend if they wish. Resolved: Peter Handley to monitor the gates on Potlocks being jammed open by members of the public.
12) Minute Number 025/09/FPG – Group Newsletter and Website
Joan Tidy reported that they already had a template for the newsletter, however it was suggested that members of the group took it in turns writing the newsletter as this would make it more interesting.
It was reported that they had somebody that would write a new website for about £100.00. It was agreed that the old website was not user friendly and was in need of updating.
Resolved: The Clerk to add the above issues to the agenda for the Parish Council Meeting to be held on 9th April 2009.
13) Minute Number 026/09/FPG – Wildlife site maintenance
There was nothing to report.
14) Minute Number 027/09/FPG – Wildlife bank
Cllr Bell reported that he had seen a Woodpecker. Heather Hall reported that she had seen frogspawn at Stanhope Hole. It was reported that a Weasel had been seen crossing the road by the A50.
Peter Handley reported that he would like to see the Sparrow Box installed, however he was finding it difficult to find a good south facing tree that was not already take up by a bird or bat box.
15) Minute Number 028/09/FPG – Date of the next meeting and the election of a Chairperson
Resolved: The date of the next Findern Parish Council Footpath Group will take place on 7th May 2009 at the Findern Parish Room commencing at 7pm. Resolved: The Chair for the meeting will be Joan Tidy.