This meeting will take place in the Parish Rooms, Lower Green, Findern at 7pm. All welcome.
1. To receive apologies for absence.
2. Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
3. To confirm minutes of the meeting held on November 5.
4. Matters arising.
5. Finance and fundraising
6. Communications and notifications to include
report from RWE Power consultation, 6.11.09
report from LDAP Training Day 24.10.09
7. Review of Parish Newsletter
8. Project planning 2010
9. Event planning:
Wildlife Trail, 17.2.10
10. Public rights of way reports and maintenance
Names for footpaths 14 and 15.
11. Wildlife site maintenance.
Bird box cleaning
12. Group promotional materials
13. Next meeting February 4-appointment of chair.
MINUTES OF THE FINDERN PARISH COUNCIL FOOTPATHS WORKING GROUP MEETING HELD ON THURSDAY 7th JANUARY 2010 AT THE PARISH ROOMS COMMENCING AT 7PM
Neville Froggatt (in the Chair)
Sheila Hughes, Liz Lenton, Liz Froggatt, Joan Tidy, Wendy Hithersay, Heather Hall, Val Fellows, Frances Prockter.
1. Minute Number 121/09/FPG - Apologies
Apologies were received and accepted from the Clerk, Clare Orme, Jan Ashford, Anne Evans, Cllr Ann Hood, Mary Ross JP MBE and Martin Woodhouse.
2. Minute Number 122/09 /FPG - Declarations of Interests
There were no Declarations of Members Interests.
3. Minute Number 123/09 /FPG - Minutes of last meeting held on 5th November 2009
Minutes of the previous meeting were reviewed and agreed to be an accurate record subject to the following clarification. Item 13 regarding the Village of the Year read as though Findern came in the last 6 but it was in fact in the top 6.
4. Minute Number 124/09/FPG - Matters arising
1. Liz wished to thank the Parish Council for allowing the Pay back Team to keep their equipment in the garage at the rear of the Parish Rooms.
2. Local farmers have been contacted to try and find out who owns the land at the bottom of Cardales Meadow. No one was able to help so coordinates have been given to Clare who will contact the Land Registry.
5. Minute Number 125/09/FPG - Finance and Fundraising
Nev has spoken to Mary who says that apart from the cheque for the bee boxes (£230) there has been no other movement in the accounts although we have accrued 48p interest.
1. Liz reports that the minor maintenance allowance of £385 pounds has been spent so Clare can go ahead and reclaim it from DCC.
2. Liz states she has applied to the Safer Neighbourhood Partnership for a £500 grant for signage asking for people to clean up after their dogs.
3. Liz has applied to the Midland Co-operative Community Division for a grant of £2000 for wildflowers and bulbs to be planted next September.
4. Liz was concerned that she hadn’t received the bill from Alan Withington concerning the bee box day so she e-mailed him. He replied saying he sent it on the 5th November 2009. He sent a copy which Liz has just received so she asks that Mary pay it as soon as possible.
5. Bill of £230 received from Woodgrow for the Tree o’clock trees and also Mike’s memorial tree.
Liz went on to say that it is getting increasing difficult to find organisations who give grants to groups such as ours and asks members to let her know if they see any likely sources.
6. Minute Number 126/09/FPG - Communications and Notifications
1. Group members attended the RWE Npower exhibition on 6th November 2009. We have gained some concessions but the site of the old Ballast Hole Pond is currently being leased, and RWE Npower wish to respect this. We have requested a bridleway around the edge of the site. This is under consideration. The existing footpath adjacent to the railway line will be improved but not extended. Public access to both of the two existing wildlife sites has been requested.
2. Liz passed round a Christmas card sent to the group by Mark Todd MP.
3. An e-mail has been received from the BBC Breathing Places informing us that the campaign finishes in June and that a series of events under the heading “Wild Days Out” is being planned for 29th – 30th May 2010.
4. A letter has been received from Loughborough Building Society inviting group members to a celebration event to be held at Kegworth on 14th January 2010. Anyone who would like to go should let Liz know.
5. Laura Bacon from Elvaston Country Park has sent an invitation to an event to celebrate 40 years of Elvaston being a Country Park to be held in June 2010.
6. Letter from Derby City Council confirming the ‘City to Countryside’ walk which will take place on Sunday 12th September 2010 from 2pm to 4 pm. Clare is to be asked to book the Parish Rooms.
7. A letter has been received from Murray Independent Funeral Advisers who stated that they had written a previous letter but received no reply and they had also left a message on the Parish Rooms answering machine but again received no reply. This matter, which was a request for ashes to be scattered for a relative of a client of theirs, is being looked into, but the group expressed some concern that letters are alleged to have been sent, but have not been received, and messages are alleged to have been left on answering machines but have not been dealt with. It has been suggested that the answering machine in the parish rooms is of poor quality and messages are often inaudible, so perhaps this needs replacing.
8. Heather has sent an e-mail to Mickleover Meadows re their wildlife site but has not received a reply as yet.
Liz took this opportunity to say thank you to those who had decorated the group’s holly tree for the festival in the Church. Heather states the tree will be planted on one of our sites some time in the future.
7. Minute Number 127/09/FPG - Review of the Parish newsletter
Unfortunately the first edition of the joint newsletter was received too late to be delivered before Christmas and although most households should have their copy now we still need a further 150 copies. Liz and Wendy have requested a further meeting with the Parish Council to review progress to date.
8. Minute Number 128/09/FPG - Project Planning 2010
The following items were suggested for inclusion in the Project Plan for this year.
1. Wildflower planting in Stanhope Hole and Stanhope Wood.
2. Himalayan Balsam and ragwort clearing.
3. 5 ponds Cardales Meadow.
4. Tree work on the willows at Stanhope Hole (land owner to be contacted).
5. Ballast Hole Pond improvement – Liz is contacting the Ecology Officer at British Waterways to arrange a site meeting.
6. Contact to be made with Steven Roe to check the bat boxes and discuss a night walk.
The completed Project Plan 2010 should be ready for authorisation at the next meeting.
9. Minute Number 129/09/FPG - Event planning
1. Insect Hotel
Meet on The Green at 10 am Thursday 28th January 2010. People were asked to bring items for use.
2. Wildlife Trail
On The Green from 1pm to 3pm on Wednesday 17th February 2010 Members to bring:
• Logs to drill holes in for bird feeders
• Bird seed – Wendy
• Colouring activity – Liz and Wendy
• Clare to organise insurance for John Dandy who is bringing his birds of prey
• Mr Withington bringing materials for bird boxes
3. The Black and White Walk for Mike Orme
Saturday 27th February 2010. Some members will be starting the walk in Findern and meeting the others at The Derby Ram in the City Centre at 10 am to walk to Pride Park. Joan contacting DCFC re a possible photo opportunity at Pride Park and DCC re whether permission is needed to collect money (for The British Heart Foundation) en route.
4. Fungus Foray
Beverly Rhodes, Derby City Council, has agreed to organise this event for us on Wednesday 20th October 2010.
5. Family Wildlife Event
Andy will be organising an event on The Green from 1pm to 3pm on Wednesday 27th October 2010. Alan Withington is to be booked.
10. Minute Number 130/09/FPG – Public Rights of Way and Maintenance
1. Liz has spoken to Dave Adkins who is arranging the stile replacement on FP3, FP4 and FP5, however, it is to be noted that stiles adjacent to the A38 must remain as there is always sheep in the fields. The remainder of the stiles on FP1 will also be replaced.
2. Liz is informing Dave Adkins that the gate at the start of Priory Way (FP1) has dropped and needs repairing.
3. Members agreed on names for FP14 and FP15. The Parish Council are to be asked to approve these.
• FP14 – George V steps
• FP15 – Baxters Way
11. Minute Number 131/09/FPG – Wildlife Site Maintenance
1. Bird box cleaning – to be discussed at the next meeting.
2. Dog litter and litter pick to be done when the snow has gone.
3. Liz reported that the Pay back Team had repaired the fence by the railway line and done a very good job of it.
4. Liz reported that the Parish Council have budgeted £800 to replace two broken benches. Liz contacted our supplier and the cost is £694 for two benches plus £200 for delivery. If there is a shortfall, the group will make up the difference. It was agreed that “CROW PARK WAY” would be stencilled on the benches and advice would be sought from Dave Adkins re siting the bench by the canal once the hard surface path has been put in.
5. Concern was expressed that there is no more room for the planting of memorial trees by parishioners. An alternative site is needed. Andy has suggested that parishioners could be permitted to dedicate an existing tree. This matter is to be referred to the Parish Council.
12. Minute Number 132/09/FPG – Group Promotional Materials
Liz reported that the cost for the plastic banner for the gazebo is £100 and the display boards are £140. It was proposed by Joan and seconded by Frances that the group purchase these items from our own funds, subject to approval from the Parish Council. Agreed by all present.
13. Minute Number 133/09/FPG – Next meeting and chair
Next meeting Thursday February 4th 2010 7 pm. Chair Joan.