The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Parish Rooms on Thursday 6 May 2010 commencing at 7.00pm. The press and public are cordially invited to attend.
1. To receive apologies for absence.
2. Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
3. To confirm minutes of the meeting held on April 1.
4. Matters arising.
5. Finance and fundraising
6. Communications and notifications.
• Meeting Dave Adkins, 2.4.10
• Action Earth, 7.4.10
• Hedge planting with 1st Findern Brownies, 11 4 10
• Bat box cleaning with Derby Bat Society, 24.4.10
8 .Event planning
• Findern Village Fete, 12.06.10.
• Environmental Forum, 11.5.10
• Walking the Crow Park Way, 27.5.10
• Creatures of the Night Walk tbc
• Mercia Marina Open Days ,3/4.07.10
• other 9 Public rights of way reports and maintenance
10 Wildlife site maintenance.
• Dog litter
11 Group promotional materials, (display board, website, banner)
12 Wildlife database
13 Next meeting June 3-appointment of chair.
Seymour Bell (Chair), Neville Froggatt, Liz Froggatt, Joan Tidy, Mary Ross MBE JP, Anne Evans, Frances Prockter, Elizabeth Lenton, Sheila Hughes, Val Fellows, Jan Ashford, Cllr Ann Hood and Andy Laxton.
1. Minute Number 171/10/FPG - To receive apologies for absence.
Apologies were received and accepted from Heather Hall and Wendy Hithersay.
2. Minute Number 172/10/FPG - Declaration of Member’s Interests (Parish Councillors).
There were no Declarations of Members Interests.
3. Minute Number 173/10/FPG - To confirm minutes of the meeting held on 1st April 2010.
Mary Ross MBE JP stated that Item 5 Minute Number 167/10/FPG Finance and Fundraising cheques from Action Earth (3 amounts of £50) and Safer Neighbourhoods (£456.31) had not been received.
Resolved: Subject to the above amendment Minutes of the previous meeting held on 1st April 2010 were circulated and agreed to be an accurate record.
4. Minute Number 174/10/FPG - Matters arising.
There were no matters arising from the minutes dated 1st April 2010.
5. Minute Number 175/10/FPG - Finance and fundraising
Mary Ross MBE JP handed out copies of the Receipts and Payments Account for the year ending 31st March 2010. She added that in April 2 cheques had been received, one from Green Watch for £300 and one from the Midland Co-op for £2,022. Liz Froggatt proposed a vote of thanks to Mary for her work in keeping the group’s our accounts throughout the year. Her efforts are very much appreciated by all.
Liz has received 3 grant application forms:
i) From Derbyshire County Council to go towards community events such as festivals, picnics etc.
ii) From Coors for grants up to £1,000 (which cannot be used for any activities involving children).
iii) From the Loughborough Building Society for grants of up to £500.
Resolved: Several suggestions were made as to how we could spend the grant money and it was agreed that Liz should complete all three application forms.
Liz reported that Mr David Tremaine, an artist who lives in the village, has offered to donate one of his paintings for the group to auction to raise funds.
6. Minute Number 176/10/FPG - Communications and notifications.
i) Liz Froggatt reported that the bench at the Ballast Hole Pond has been vandalised. This has been reported to the police and a crime number obtained. British Waterways have been informed and their enforcement officers will be attending. Repairs will be carried out by British Waterways.
ii) Information has been received that the LDAP Forum will be held on 16th October 2010.
iii) Liz contacted Dave Adkins re the sudden appearance in the village of footpath signs showing the route of the ‘Derby Nomad Trail’. Dave says that this is not a recommended route as people are directed over the A50 roundabout and he has asked us to remove these signs. It would appear that the Derby Nomads are a rambling group and it was therefore decided that Liz should contact Peter White at DCC to speak to them officially.
iv) Liz reported that Dave Adkins is leaving at the end of May. He will be visiting us on Thursday 27th May at 10 am.
v) Richard (in charge of the payback team) reports that DCC will no longer allow the team to take their rubbish direct to the tip on Saturdays. It has therefore been decided that they will leave any rubbish bagged up at the back of the Parish Rooms and Liz will contact Lorraine at the depot on the Monday to arrange its collection. If Liz is away the number for the depot is 01283 595993.
vi) It has been ascertained that the land designated for the ponds in Cardales Meadow has no registered owner. Dave Adkins has explained how we can go about registering the land as belonging to the parish and Clare is starting the ball rolling.
vii) British Waterways and Sustrans have had more meetings and discussions about the improvements to the canal towpath between Swarkestone and Stretton (Burton) are progressing.
viii) Following the visit of group members to Mickleover Meadows it has been agreed to invite them for a return visit on 7th June 2010 at 1030 am. Heather to contact Mickleover Meadows Group.
ix) Heather has received a letter from Brown Owl thanking the group for arranging their tree/hedge planting on 11th April 2010.
x) Liz passed round a card from Isobel on the payback team praising the group’s achievements on the wildlife sights.
xi) A ‘Good Luck’ card was handed round for everyone to sign for Dave Adkins.
xii) It was suggested that letters of thanks should be sent to:-
• Mark Todd for all his help during is time as our MP
• British Ways for the repair of Bridge 20
• The Shilcock family for the bench
xiii) Liz handed round Wildlife sightings cards from British Waterways asking for our help in recording the wildlife along the canal.
7. Minute Number 177/10/FPG - Evaluations
i) Meeting with Dave Adkins. Dave reports that the stile replacement is in hand and that the resurfacing of Bridleway 11 will take place this year.
ii) The Action Earth event on 7th April 2010 to plant snowdrops and primroses was well attended. A parishioner had also donated some primroses and these were planted as well.
iii) The hedge planting with the Brownies on 11th April 2010 was also very well attended and a good time was had by all.
iv) Steven Rowe has cleaned all the bat boxes and thinks we have 5 species visiting but not nesting. He will be sending full details of his findings. It was suggested that we should do a bat walk and that the best time to do it would be the beginning of July.
8. Minute Number 178/10/FPG – Event Planning,
i) The Findern Village Fete on 12th June 2010. Nev reported that the bird box kits are ready and that no one will be required until 2 pm. A rota was passed round for members to complete what times they were available.
ii) Environmental Forum 11th May 2010 at Linton. Members to meet Lower Green at 6.15 pm to car share.
iii) Crow Park Way Walk 27th May 2010. Members to meet at the village hall at 7 pm.
iv) Creatures of the night walk with Steven Rowe. To be discussed at next meeting.
v) Mercia Marina open days 3rd and 4th July 2010. To be discussed at next meeting.
vi) Elvaston Castle’s 40th birthday celebrations to take place on 20th June 2010.
vii) Fundraising for Marie Curie Cancer Care. Wendy suggests a supermarket bag pack, anyone interested to contact Wendy direct.
viii) Group barbecue, Sunday 18th July 2010 at 4 pm Stanhope Wood.
ix) HM Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee 2012. To liaise with Parish Council re a joint event.
9. Minute Number 179/10/FPG – Public Rights of Way and stile replacement
i) Liz reports that FP15 has a new sign and that footpaths 5,7,10 and 11 have been mown.
ii) It is reported that the stile at Lower Green is extremely wobbly. Heather has reported this to Mr Hicklin but as yet it has not been repaired.
Resolved: Liz to inform Dave Adkins as a matter of urgency.
10. Minute Number 180/10/FPG – Wildlife Site Maintenance
. i) Liz reports that the dog litter signs can have a maximum of 12 words on 2 lines.
Resolved: Joan to work on the wording and bring examples to the next meeting for approval.
ii) Wendy and Nev have done the wildflower order (copies handed round) for the wet area. Andy suggested that the group should have a site meeting to discuss a 5 year plan of site maintenance etc and that Debbie Alston should be invited for her input.
Resolved: To meet on Thursday 5th August 2010 at 10 am (subject to Debbie being available on that date).
11. Minute Number 181/10/FPG – Group Promotional Materials/Website
The group authorised Liz to contact Devmac to proceed with updating and maintaining the footpaths group website (initial cost £99 + VAT and then £29.95 + VAT per month maintenance).
12. Minute Number 182/10/FPG - Wildlife Database.
It was reported that a stoat with a mouse in its mouth had been seen at the top of Common Piece Lane and that yellow archangel was growing opposite the kennels.
13. Minute Number 183/10/FPG - Next meeting and appointment of chair.
Resolved: The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held on 3rd June 2010 at the Findern Parish Rooms commencing at 7pm. Resolved: Mary Ross MBE JP to Chair the Meeting.