Date of Meeting
The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Methodist Chapel on Thursday3 March 2011 commencing at 7.00pm. The press and public are cordially invited to attend.
We are delighted to welcome Tony Preston, Sales & Marketing Manager from Mercia Marina to this meeting.
1. To receive apologies for absence.
2. Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
3. To confirm minutes of the meeting held on February 3 2011.
4. Matters arising.
5. Finance and fundraising
6. Communications and notifications
7. Evaluations and reports
· Meeting with British Waterways, 7.2.2011
· Homes For Birds, 23.2.2011
· Wild Derby Programme launch, 2.3.2011
8. Event planning
· Pupil Enrichment programme,
· Daffodil Walk, 22 March 2011
· Dawn Chorus Walk tba
· SD Environmental Forum 2.3.2011
9. Public rights of way reports and wildlife site maintenance.
10. Website development
· Cardales Meadow ponds
12 Wildlife database
13 Next meeting April 7 -appointment of chair.
Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 3rd March 2011 at the Methodist Chapel, Findern commencing at 7 pm
Nev Froggatt (Chair),
Liz Froggatt, Heather Hall, Cllr Bell, Wendy Hithersay, Sheila Hughes, Jan Ashford, Mary Ross MBE JP, Anne Evans, Liz Lenton, Joan Tidy, Cllr Woodhouse and Tony Preston (Sales and Marketing Mercia Marina).
Mr Preston was welcomed to the meeting and introduced to all present.
1. Minute Number 288/11/FPG - To receive apologies for absence.
Apologies were received and accepted from Cllr Hood, Frances Prockter and Clare Orme (Clerk).
2. Minute Number 289/11/FPG - Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
There were no Declarations of Members Interests.
3. Minute Number 290/11/FPG - To confirm minutes of the meeting held on 3rd February 2011.
Resolved: Following minor corrections the minutes of the Footpaths Group Meeting held on 3rd February 2011 were circulated and approved as a true record.
4. Minute Number 291/11/FPG - Matters arising.
There were no matters arising.
**At this point Tony Present was invited to speak. He began by thanking us for inviting him to attend the meeting. He briefly outlined his position at the Marina and stated that they were keen to establish links with, and offer support to, the local community. Suggestions were made about possible joint events and he explained that there were some tasks the Marina could help us with such as the designing, printing and displaying of leaflets.
Mr Preston was thanked for his input and advised that he could leave if he wished but he opted to stay until the end of the meeting as he was eager to learn more about the group and what we do.**
5. Minute Number 292/11/FPG - Finance and Fundraising
The following matters were reported:
· Current Account £2,282.51.
· Reserve Account is unchanged since the last meeting.
i) Liz reported that the funding application for the joint project with British Waterways for improvements to the towpath along the Trent and Mersey Canal had stalled as we were struggling to get the 10% match funding. Requests had been made to the Parish Council, South Derbyshire Partnership and Derbyshire County Council Community Leadership Scheme through Cllr Martyn Ford but no pledges had as yet been made and without match funding we could not continue. Cllr Woodhouse stated that this was a very important project and personally pledged £1,000. Following a discussion the group voted unanimously to pledge £1,400 from our reserve account. This leaves a further £1,000 needed for the match funding and Cllr Bell has been asked to include details of this shortfall in his report to the Parish Council at the next meeting on 10th March with a view to asking them if they could help with this matter.
6. Minute Number 293/11/FPG - Communications and Notifications
i) A ‘thank you’ card had been received from Sheila and Bob thanking the group for the gift of the rose to celebrate their Golden Wedding Anniversary.
ii) An e-mail has been received from Findern Primary School stating that they had been given some trees for planting and asked if anyone from the group could visit them and assess the trees and advise on the planting. Resolved: Nev offered to contact the school.
iii) Liz had received a letter from Derek Hale who is a member of the National Hedge Laying Society saying he had visited the group’s website and outlined some projects he could help us with. Resolved: Heather will contact Mr Hale on the group’s behalf.
iv) A letter has been received from Clare Tomkins at the BBC with details of a new website they are developing called ‘Things to Do’ which replaces the ‘Breathing Places’ website.
v) A letter has been received from Kate Allies at Rosliston informing us that grants of £50 are being offered for events taking place in Climate Week which runs from 21st to 27th March 2011.
7. Minute Number 294/11/FPG – Evaluations and Reports
· Meeting with British Waterways on 7th February 2011
British Waterways staff had explained that as they were now a ‘trust’ they would have to rely more on volunteers for a lot of the day to day maintenance of the waterways (i.e. litter picking, reporting of problems etc through a Towpath Rangers Scheme. We explained that we were happy to look after our stretch of the Trent and Mersey canal. (Mr Preston from Mercia Marina is looking into the possibility of the Marina looking after their stretch).
· Homes for Birds on 23rd February 2011
All agreed this was a very good event. Despite the atrocious weather it was estimated that more than 80 children had come along and enjoyed the activities.
· Wild Derby launch on 2nd March 2011
Heather and Liz Lenton attended on the group’s behalf and were very impressed with what had been achieved at Sinfin Nature Reserve. They stated that some of those involved at Sinfin would like to visit our sites. Resolved: Heather will contact Sinfin to arrange return visits. Liz Froggatt stated she had sent a letter of thanks to Cllr Holmes for his role in helping to secure the future of the Wild-Derby Partnership.
8. Minute Number 295/11/FPG - Event planning
· Pupil Enrichment programme,
The pupils will be visiting us on four Fridays: 4th March, 18th March, 25th March and 1st April and the following schedule was agreed:
On 4th March the pupils would be shown round the sites by Heather and Joan.
On 18th March the pupils will be planting Ragged Robin with Liz Froggatt and Wendy.
On 25th March the pupils will be planting cherry trees with Anne Evans and Liz Lenton.
On 1st April the pupils will be making bird feeders (to hang on the raptor benches) with Wendy, Heather and Jan. They will also be given certificates to acknowledge the work they had done.
Resolved: Liz Froggatt to contact Cllr Bagnall to see if he would be able to attend on the 1st of April to present the certificates.
· Daffodil Walk 22nd March 2011.
The group will meet on The Green and walk to Mercia Marina and then back through the village to Findern Garden Centre collecting on the way.
· Dawn Chorus Walk
Liz explained that Stuart Collins our Volunteer Coordinator from British Waterways has offered to lead a Dawn Chorus Walk. He would want to start the walk at 5 am. Liz states that as he will be travelling from Lichfield it would be unfair if only a handful of people turned up so a date of Saturday 7th May has been suggested and Liz is to confirm his availability for that date. Joan is to design a flyer to see how many people would be interested before we confirm the walk.
· Findern Fete 18th June 2011
Liz states she has had an enquiry from Mary Goodall who is organising the fete as to whether or not the group will be taking part. It was agreed that we would take part and this would be discussed at a meeting nearer the time.
· SDDC Forum meeting on 22nd March 2011.
Meet at Lower Green at 6.30 pm to car share to Repton.
9. Minute Number 296/11/FPG - Public rights of way reports and wildlife site maintenance
i) It was reported that the work on the bridleway is well under way but that work has had to be stopped for 2 weeks to allow the path to dry out before top dressing can be laid. We have been informed that DCC intend to divert the bridleway route along the side of the Sewage Treatment Works in Mr Smith’s field as soon as possible. There is no timescale for the diversion to be extended in front of the Sewage Works and up to the locked gate.
ii) It is reported that Severn Trent will be resurfacing the stretch of Crow Park Way up to the locked gate. (No date is known yet)
iii) Liz states she is going to ask Clare for permission to buy some oil to treat the picnic benches.
10. Minute Number 297/11/FPG – Website development
Liz stated that the new website was up and running and asked if anyone had any comments or suggestions on its further development. Jan suggested that perhaps the photographs could have captions underneath them to explain which event was shown etc.
Resolved: Liz to contact Devmac to discuss this.
11. Minute Number 298/11/FPG – Projects
· Cardales Meadow Ponds
Members to meet with BTCV staff at Lower Green at 9.30 am on Friday 4th March 2011 to measure the site.
Nev has obtained the light board and will collect the trailer.
[ Go Back ]