Date of Meeting
The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Methodist Chapel on Thursday 5 May 2011 commencing at 7.00pm. The press and public are cordially invited to attend.
1. To receive apologies for absence.
2. Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
3. To confirm minutes of the meeting held on April 7 2011.
4. Matters arising.
5. Finance and fundraising.
6. Communications and notifications
7. Reports and evaluations
· Findern Frolic Walk, 14.4.2011
8. Event planning
· ‘Dawn Chorus Walk’, 7.5.2011
· Findern Fete,18.6.2011
· Mercia Marina Open Day, tbc
· The Crow Park Way Walk, 26.5.2011
· The Big Lunch 5.6.2011
9. Public rights of way reports
10. Wildlife site management
11. Website development
· Cardales Meadow ponds
13 Wildlife database
14 Next meeting June 9 – venue and appointment of chair.
Findern Parish Council
Clerk: Mrs Clare Orme
110 New Road, Newhall, Swadlincote. Derbyshire DE11 OTH
Tel: 0771 9599132
Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 5th May 2011 at the Methodist Chapel, Findern commencing at 7 pm
Frances Prockter (Chair), Joan Tidy, Neville Froggatt, Wendy Hithersay, Jan Ashford, Sheila Hughes, Liz Lenton, Cllr Seymour Bell, Anne Evans, Janet MacDonald, Andrew Laxton (Derbyshire Countryside Services) and Derrick Hale (Training Officer, National Hedge Laying Society).
Frances welcomed Derrick Hale to the meeting.
Before commencing the meeting a minutes silence was held in memory of Mr Leslie Cox of Twyford, a local landowner from whom we rent Stanhope Wood and Stanhope Hole wildlife sites, who passed away a few days ago. Mr Cox has given the group such support and advice for many years and he will be sadly missed by all.
1. Minute Number 315/11/FPG - To receive apologies for absence.
Apologies were received and accepted from Clare Orme (Parish Clerk), Mary Ross MBE JP and Liz Froggatt.
2. Minute Number 316/11/FPG - Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
There were no Declarations of Members Interests.
3. Minute Number 317/11/FPG - To confirm minutes of the meeting held on 7th April 2011.
Resolved: The minutes of the Footpaths Group Meeting held on 7th April 2011 were circulated and approved as a true record.
4. Minute Number 318/11/FPG - Matters arising.
Re Minute 306/11/FPG item i)
Neville has e-mailed Debbie Alston and requested the necessary package to take part in the Climate Change Survey.
Re Minute 306/11/FPG item iii)
Wendy has not had any communication from Barrow on Trent Parish Council re their visit to our wildlife sites.
5. Minute Number 319/11/FPG - Finance and Fundraising
Mary Ross MBE JP had sent apologies therefore there was no financial report.
Nothing to report.
***At this point in the meeting Mr Derrick Hale was invited to address the meeting. He began by saying he had been following the group’s activities in the media and was impressed by what we were doing. He states that he is a training officer in the National Hedge Laying Society and offered to advise and assist us in hedge laying and planting. He is also a member of the Derby Railway Angling Club who have the fishing rights to the pond between the canal and the railway line near Mercia Marina. He was very interested to hear about the liaison we have with the Marina and having been given a copy of the Marina newsletter he will be contacting them as well.***
6. Minute Number 320/11/FPG - Communications and Notifications
i) At the beginning of the meeting Jan Ashford donated several packets of seed to the group and these were received with thanks.
ii) Heather reported that £50 had been collected at the funeral of Cllr Barry Bagnall and that she had sent a cheque to The Royal Derby Hospital (Ward 304 Hepatology).
iii) Wendy reported that £300 had been raised on the Daffodil Walk and that a cheque had been sent to Marie Curie.
iv) The group’s Annual Report for 2011 had been circulated and the content accepted although a slight adjustment is needed on the layout. Many thanks to Liz Froggatt for producing another excellent annual report.
v) Thanks to Neville for doing a grand job on renovating the trailer and to Martin Woodhouse who has agreed to let us store the trailer at Woodgrow. Resolved: Clerk to ensure that the trailer is insured.
vi) Joan had received an e-mail from Vicky Smyth, Healthy Lifestyle Officer at SDDC re possible places on Nordic Walking courses and also a poster advertising such activities for the over 50’s at Elvaston Castle. The poster was passed round the group and Joan has asked Vicky to let her know when courses are available.
7. Minute Number 321/11/FPG – Reports and Evaluations
Findern Frolic Thursday 14th March 2011
6 group members and 6 walkers attended and had a very enjoyable walk. On the return journey a visit was made to the café at Stenson lock for tea and cake.
8. Minute Number 322/11/FPG – Event Planning
Dawn Chorus Walk 7th May 2011
Heather reports that 15 bookings and been received and all breakfasts ordered and paid for.
Findern Fete 18th June 2011
The fete is now being held in the village hall and it has been agreed that the group will take part.
Mercia Marina Open Day 2011
The exact date is still unknown so this will be discussed at a future meeting.
Crow Park Way Walk 26th May 2011
Most members will be attending the walk. Resolved: Joan to e-mail Andy a copy of the risk assessment.
Big Lunch 5th June 2011
Findern Primary School is still waiting to hear from SDDC as to whether than can hold this event on Hillside Playing Field. Assuming SDDC grant permission for the event, Andy will bring the necessary equipment for the bird feeding game to be set around the playing field.
9. Minute Number 323/11/FPG – Public Rights of Way reports
i) Zoe Woodhouse has asked us to check the route of Little Derby Way as she has received a complaint from a member of the public who says it appears to have changed. Resolved: Nev dealing.
ii) With regards to the dropped gate on Turnpike Way, Zoe states that it is the landowner’s responsibility to mend the gate. Resolved: Nev will ask Liz to contact Mr Atkins.
iii) Frances reports a difficult stile on Priory Way. It is understood that Zoe was contact Mr Penny re this stile. Resolved: Nev to contact Zoe to check on progress.
iv) Several complaints received re the steep slope into Cote Close following the new tarmac surface installed by Severn Trent. Resolved: This to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
v) The picnic bench at the Ballast Hole Pond has still not been repaired by British Waterways. Resolved: This to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
vi) Liz reports that Footpaths 3, 7, 10 and 15 have been mown.
10. Minute Number 324/11/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
i) Thanks extended to Nev for the mowing.
ii) The payback team have been absent for several weeks because of Easter and the Bank Holidays but they will be back on Saturday.
iii) Thanks extended to Nev and Dennis for the excellent repair to the picnic bench at Cote Close.
iv) Seat painting is well underway.
v) A couple of the commemorative trees are suffering in the dry weather. Nev states he has taken water down but more efforts may be needed by group members if the dry spell continues.
vi) Several young trees are showing signs of strimmer damage. Nev has got some information on tree guards which will need to be purchased before the autumn when strimming will begin again. Resolved: To be added to the next agenda for discussion.
vii) We will shortly see signs of the dreaded Himalayan Balsam which will need to be uprooted. Resolved: To be added to the next agenda for a date to be fixed for a ‘Balsam Bash’.
11. Minute Number 325/11/FPG – Website Development
Nothing to report.
12. Minute Number 326/11/FPG – Projects
Cardales Meadow Ponds
Nev handed round a plan of the pond project which has been sent to the Highways Agency and once we have their permission to proceed the fundraising will start. Mr Hale kindly offered to look into which hedging plants will be the most suitable for the project.
13. Minute Number 327/11/FPG – Wildlife Database
Liz Lenton reported 3 grey wagtails seen in Cote Close at 9.20 am yesterday and a song thrush at 4 pm on Bank Holiday Monday at the Ballast Hole Pond. Other sightings handed to Joan who will update the database.
14. Minute Number 328/11/FPG – Next meeting and appointment of Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held on 2nd June 2011 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Anne Evans. Venue to be announced.
[ Go Back ]