Date of Meeting
The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Methodist Chapel on Thursday 7 July 2011 commencing at 7.00pm. The press and public are cordially invited to attend.
1. To receive apologies for absence.
2. Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
3. To confirm minutes of the meeting held on June 2 2011.
4. Matters arising.
5. Finance and fundraising.
6. Communications and notifications
7. Reports and evaluations
· Findern Fete,18.6.2011
· Meeting with Findern PTA, 15.6.11
· The Big Lunch 5.6.2011
· Meeting with British Waterways, 3.6.11
8. Event planning
· Findern Historical Walk, 26.6.11
· Workshop with BW, 25.7.11
· Workshop at Fradley, 28.7.11
9. Public rights of way reports
· Wildlife site management
10. Website development and Countryside News
11 Wildlife database
12 Next meeting July7-appointment of chair.
Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 2nd June 2011 commencing at 7.20 pm
Anne Evans (Chair), Sheila Hughes, Liz Lenton, Janet MacDonald, Wendy Hithersay, Cllr Seymour Bell, Neville Froggatt, Mary Ross MBE JP, Heather Hall, Joan Tidy and Andy Laxton (Derbyshire Countryside Service).
1. Minute Number 329/11/FPG - To receive apologies for absence.
Apologies were received and accepted from Clare Orme (Parish Clerk), Liz Froggatt and Cllr Ann Hood.
2. Minute Number 330/11/FPG - Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
There were no Declarations of Members Interests.
3. Minute Number 331/11/FPG - To confirm minutes of the meeting held on 5th May 2011.
Correction: Persons present to include Heather Hall.
Correction: Item 6 Minute number 320/11/FPG ii)
Heather clarified that she had made the cheque out to Wathalls Funeral Services and that they had passed the donation on to the Royal Derby Hospital.
Resolved: After the above corrections the minutes of the Footpaths Group Meeting held on 5th May 2011 were circulated and approved as a true record.
4. Minute Number 332/11/FPG - Matters arising.
Re Minute Number 318/11/FPG
Wendy stated she had heard from Alison Hicklin at Barrow-on-Trent Parish Council to say that they were unable to arrange a visit just yet but would contact us some time in the near future.
Re Minute Number 320/11/FPG iv)
Liz reported that the annual report has now been posted on the group’s website.
5. Minute Number 333/11/FPG - Finance and Fundraising
Mary Ross MBE JP apologised for having to miss the last meeting and for the lateness of the annual statement. Copies of the annual statement were then handed out to all present. She stated she did not have the account details as the books had been submitted for audit.
She reported payments in as follows:
£270 grant funding from DCC
£25 received from ‘Let’s go wild in Derby’ for Findern Frolic walk on 14th April 2011
and payments out:
£71.88 to Devmac for website maintenance.
She stated she had received an invoice from Woodgrow Horticulture for £19.20 which she was unable to pay at present as the accounts were with the auditors.
All present joined in thanking Mary for the work she does in managing the finances for the group.
Nothing to report.
6. Minute Number 334/11/FPG - Communications and Notifications
i) Liz had received an e-mail from Frances Prockter to ask if the Mothers Union could borrow the group’s gazebo for a fundraising event on 4th July 2011. There were no objections.
ii) Heather stated she had received a letter from Wathalls thanking us for our donation collected at Barry’s funeral and informing us that it had been passed with other donations to the Royal Derby Hospital.
7. Minute Number 335/11/FPG – Reports and Evaluations
Dawn Chorus Walk 7th May 2011
This event was well attended and thoroughly enjoyed by all and the breakfast at the Methodist Chapel surpassed all expectations. Heather states she sent thanks to all the ladies involved and that money left over had been donated to the chapel to buy flowers.
Crow Park Way Walk 26th May 2011
A good turnout and although cool the evening was dry so all enjoyed a brisk evening walk.
It was noted that the evaluation of the Environmental Forum event on the 10th of May was not on this agenda so it is to be added to the next.
8. Minute Number 336/11/FPG – Event Planning
i) Findern Village Fete 18th June 2011
Nev stated that the Primary School PTA had some leftover toys that we could have for the ‘hook-a-duck’ event and that he had bought the ducks, hooks and rods. It was agreed to charge 50p a go.
Heather states she has a baby bath which could be used for the apple bobbing. It was agreed to charge 20p a go.
Nev states he will get the apples and Wendy agreed to get the sweets for prizes.
ii) Marina Open Day Saturday 2nd and Sunday 3rd July 2011
Due to holidays and other commitments there are not enough members free to be able to take part in this event. Heather stated she will inform the Marina.
iii) The Big Lunch Sunday 5th July 2011
This community event is being held on Hillside Playing Field from 1pm and Nev has suggested that the group organise a ‘welly wanging’ event for the children.
iv) Group Summer Barbecue Sunday 7th August 2011 4 pm at Stanhope Wood
Nev will get prices etc and event to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
v) HM Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Sunday 3rd June 2012
Suggestions include organising a Hog Roast or holding an event at the Nadee Restaurant. Nev will make further enquiries and this event will be added to a future agenda for further discussion.
9. Minute Number 337/11/FPG – Public Rights of Way reports
i) The gates for Priory Way are still awaited.
ii) The repair of the broken stile at Lower Green is still with the technical services department.
iii) It is noted that the new bridleway is being lightly used so a disproportionate amount of time (and therefore money) has to be spent on keeping it clear. To date £98 of the £385 Minor Maintenance Allowance has already been spent.
iv) Paths 11, 15 and 20 have been mown and strimmed.
10. Minute Number 338/11/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
i) Damaged picnic bench Ballast Hole Pond
Members are meeting with Stuart Collins from British Waterways on 3rd June to fix a date for a working party to carry out maintenance on the towpath.
ii) ‘A’ frame Cote Close Bird Sanctuary
Several complaints have been received about the steep slope through the ‘A’ frame following Severn Trent’s resurfacing of the roadway. Attempts will be made to liaise with Severn Trent to try to find a solution to this, i.e. installing steps or lessening the gradient, and consideration is also being given to installing another ‘A’ frame by the second gate which is on the level.
iii) Invasion of Himalayan Balsam
Nev reports that there is hardly any balsam showing itself at present.
Resolved: Plans for a future ‘Balsam Bash’ event are to be added to the next agenda.
iv) Purchase of strimmer guards
Following a general discussion it was agreed not to purchase any guards for the moment but to instruct users not to strim within 12 inches of the tree trunks.
11. Minute Number 339/11/FPG – Website Development
Suggestions had been received from both Devmac and Mercia Marina that the group should consider having a ‘Twitter’ or ‘Facebook’ facility on the website. Following a general discussion it was unanimously agreed not to add either of these facilities to the website.
12. Minute Number 340/11/FPG – Projects
Cardales Meadow Ponds
No further progress as we have not yet had permission from the Highways Agency to create the ponds.
13. Minute Number 341/11/FPG – Wildlife Database
Liz Lenton reported a cinnabar moth, a rat and a goldfinch in Cote Close pm on 2nd June 2011.
Heather reports that the green woodpecker in the ash tree in Stanhope Wood now has babies in the nest.
There have been several sightings of a barn owl in the field between the railway bridge and Hicklin Bridge; this is believed to be the same barn owl rescued by group members last month.
Seymour reports receiving regular visits to his garden by 2 magpies over the last 4 or 5 days.
14. Minute Number 342/11/FPG – Next meeting and appointment of Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Methodist Chapel on 7th July 2011 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Wendy Hithersay.
[ Go Back ]