Date of Meeting
The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Methodist Chapel on Thursday 7 July 2011 commencing at 7.00pm. The press and public are cordially invited to attend.
1. To receive apologies for absence.
2. Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
3. To confirm minutes of the meeting held on June 2 2011.
4. Matters arising.
5. Finance and fundraising.
6. Communications and notifications
7. Reports and evaluations
8. Event planning
9. Public rights of way reports
10. Website development and Countryside News
11 Wildlife database
12 Next meeting July7-appointment of chair.
Findern Parish Council
Clerk: Mrs Clare Orme
110 New Road, Newhall, Swadlincote. Derbyshire DE11 OTH
Tel: 0771 9599132
Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 7th July 2011 at the Methodist Chapel, Findern commencing at 7 pm
Wendy Hithersay (Chair), Anne Evans, Sheila Hughes, Liz Lenton, Heather Hall, Frances Prockter, Joan Tidy, Cllr Martin Woodhouse and Andy Laxton (Derbyshire Countryside Service).
1. Minute Number 343/11/FPG - To receive apologies for absence.
Apologies were received and accepted from Clare Orme (Parish Clerk), Liz Froggatt, Nev Froggatt, Janet MacDonald, Jan Ashford, Cllr Seymour Bell and Cllr Ann Hood.
2. Minute Number 344/11/FPG - Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
There were no Declarations of Members Interests.
3. Minute Number 345/11/FPG - To confirm minutes of the meeting held on 2nd June 2011.
Correction: Item 329/11/FPG Apologies for absence to include Frances Prockter.
Resolved: After the above correction the minutes of the Footpaths Group Meeting held on 2nd June 2011 were circulated and approved as a true record.
4. Minute Number 346/11/FPG - Matters arising.
Re Minute Number 334/11/FPG item i)
Frances thanked the group for the loan of the gazebo which had been much appreciated on a very hot day. She went on to say that the event had raised almost £500 for the Mothers Union Overseas.
5. Minute Number 347/11/FPG - Finance and Fundraising
No statement details as the books are still with the Clerk.
i) Heather had been asked by Liz Froggatt to request permission to buy some weights for the gazebo. These are available from Amazon at a cost of £25 for 4. All present agreed.
Resolved: Heather agreed to order the weights from Amazon.
ii) It is suggested that we need to buy more games for outdoor events. Members are asked to come up with ideas for games such as outdoor chess; draughts etc and obtain details of availability and cost to bring to future meetings for further discussion.
Nothing to report.
6. Minute Number 348/11/FPG - Communications and Notifications
i) The group wished to thank the Parish Council for sending a donation to the Burton Wildlife Rescue Centre who had assisted us in the rescue of an injured barn owl and its subsequent recovery and release back into the wild on one of our wildlife sites.
7. Minute Number 349/11/FPG – Reports and Evaluations
Findern Fete 18th June 2011
Despite the poor weather the fete was well attended and the children enjoyed taking part in the group’s ‘Hook a Duck’ and ‘Apple Bobbing’ games. With monies taken at these games and from the sale of the picture kindly donated by Mr Tremayne the group raised £60.
Meeting with Findern Primary School PTA 15th June 2011
Group members met with the Headmistress, parents and members of the PTA on this day and a further meeting was arranged on 23rd June 2011 with Andy Laxton from the Derbyshire Countryside Service. At these meetings discussions were held as to what work needed to be done and the time scale. The possibility of the Derby Moor students helping out during their time with us is being looked into. It has also been suggested that the Community Payback Team could also carry out some of the work. Heather reported that PTA member and Findern Parish Councillor Justina Nurse had requested another meeting on 18th July 2011 but Andy Laxton and Nev Froggatt are not available on that day.
Resolved: Heather to contact Cllr Nurse re the meeting on 18th July 2011.
The Big Lunch 5th June 2011
Despite a windy and quite cool day a good number of people enjoyed their picnics on Hillside Playing Field. The wind was a bonus for the kite flyers but a bit of a problem when it came to keeping the gazebo on the ground.
Resolved: The group has agreed to purchase weights for the gazebo (see Minute 347/11).
Meeting with Stuart Collins, Volunteer Coordinator, British Waterways 3rd June 2011
Group members met with Stuart and discussed work to be done (see Minute 350/11 Event Planning).
Environmental Forum 10th May 211
Heather and Frances went to Calke Abbey and attended 2 workshops each. Frances said the Bird Identification workshop in the morning was excellent and she has given Liz details of how the group can follow this up. She went on to say that the Bug Identification workshop in the afternoon needed a lot more concentration. Heather stated she enjoyed both the wildflower and tree identification workshops and found them very informative.
Members are informed that the chair of South Derbyshire District Council is expected to attend the next Forum meeting which is being hosted by us on 6th September 2011 from 2pm – 5pm.
8. Minute Number 350/11/FPG – Event Planning
i) Findern Historical Walk 26th July 2011
This walk is part of the South Derbyshire Environmental Education Project Programme of Summer Evening Walks. The walk begins on The Green at 7 pm.
ii) Workshop with British Waterways on the towpath 25th July 2011
Work to be done includes the repair of the picnic bench at the Ballast Hole Pond and litter picking. Meet at The Nadee at 10 am.
iii) Workshop with British Waterways at Fradley 28th July 2011
The workshop is from 10am – 3pm, members should meet on Lower Green to car share.
iv) Balsam Bash
Wendy reports that the ragwort needs to be cleared from Cardales Meadow before the farmer cuts it for hay so it was decided to tackle that first and sooner rather than later. Members that can are to meet at the cemetery on Common Piece Lane at 1.30pm on Monday 11th July 2011.
Resolved: Further need for Balsam clearing to be added to the next agenda.
v) Group Summer Barbecue 7th August 2011
Heather states she will get the disposable barbecue but no further discussion as members absent.
Resolved: To be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
9. Minute Number 351/11/FPG – Public Rights of Way reports
Nothing to report.
10. Minute Number 352/11/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
See Minute 350/11 Event Planning re ragwort clearing in Cardales Meadow.
11. Minute Number 353/11/FPG – Website Development and Countryside News
Nothing to report re Website Development.
Wendy handed round a draft copy of the latest Countryside News for members’ comments. It was asked if the words ‘members of’ could be inserted before Findern Methodist Chapel in the article about the Dawn Chorus Walk.
12. Minute Number 354/11/FPG – Wildlife Database
Heather reported seeing a toad on the new path between Hicklin Bridge and the railway bridge.
Liz Lenton reports a patch of Meadow Rue on Priory Way.
Heather stated that she had spoken to Nick Laws, Derbyshire Wildlife Trust, who had been to Cardales Meadow and found 47 different species of plant in a quadrant. He will be forwarding full details to Liz.
13. Minute Number 355/11/FPG – Next Meeting and Appointment of Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Methodist Chapel on 4th August 2011 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Frances Prockter.
[ Go Back ]