Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 6th October 2011 at the Methodist Chapel, Findern commencing at 7 pm
Jan Ashford (Chair), Joan Tidy, Heather Hall, Wendy Hithersay, Liz Lenton, Anne Evans, Sheila Hughes, Frances Prockter, Cllr Seymour Bell and Andy Laxton (Derbyshire Countryside Services)
1. Minute Number 369/11/FPG - To receive apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Cllr Martin Woodhouse, Liz Froggatt and Nev Froggatt.
2. Minute Number 370/11/FPG - Declaration of members’ interests (Parish Councillors)
There were no declarations of members’ Interests.
3. Minute Number 371/11/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
Joan reported that Statements for the period 22 Aug 2011 to 23 Sep 2011 had been received and balanced.
No change in the Reserve Account which remains at £4,909.65.
No deposits had been made into the current account.
Payments had been made from the current account as follows:
£29.98 to Heather Hall for the gazebo weights.
£35.94 to Devmac Systems Ltd for website maintenance.
£19.59 to Wendy Hithersay for materials for masks for the ‘Fun on the Green’ event.
The current account stands at £2,290.46.
i) Jan stated that Liz had reported that the pens for the ‘Fun on the Green’ event had been ordered and delivered. 2 pots of paint and about 3 dozen apples were also required for this event. Authority has been given to purchase the paint and the apples.
ii) Wendy handed round a price list of items to be used to raise funds for future projects and was given authority to purchase same.
4. Minute Number 372/11/FPG – Communications and Notifications
i) Communication had been received from the Parish Council for our input into a proposed car park for the King George V Playing Field. Members put forward various suggestions such as the type of surface and the need to ensure the safety of pedestrians on the adjacent footpath. Cllr Bell will include these suggestions in his report at the next Parish Council meeting.
ii) An e-mail had been received from the Derbyshire Wildlife Trust giving details of their ‘Saving the Great Trees of Derbyshire’ project.
iii) Liz had received an e-mail from Emma detailing the work done so far at Findern Primary School and inviting ourselves and Andy for another look round. Andy stated he had visited the school and that things were progressing but there was still a lot to do.
5. Minute Number 373/11/FPG – National Forest Walking Festival
Joan stated that she had sent off the completed walk form and that she had scheduled the Findern Historical Walk for Thursday 24th May 2012 starting at 7 pm. She and Andy will be attending the Steering Group meeting at Moira tomorrow (7th October) and would give a further report at our next meeting.
Resolved: Item to be added to the next Agenda (3rd November 2011).
6. Minute Number 374/11/FPG - Evaluations
i) SDDC Environmental Forum 10th September 2011
The forum was well attended and members worked hard lopping trees and litter picking along the tow path. Cllr Stanton, Chair of SDDC, was very impressed and asked it he could visit all our wildlife sites.
(See Minute number 375/11/FPG item v).
ii) Findern Frolic Walk 25th September 2011
Joan, Dave, Janet and Wendy went to the usual starting point but the recycling centre had apparently been removed. A tour was made of the car park but no walkers were evident. We waited until 2.10 pm but still no walkers were seen and as the weather was so atrocious we returned home. Joan stated she had completed and returned the walk leader’s questionnaire.
7. Minute Number 375/11/FPG – Event Planning
i) Fun On The Green 26th October 2011
Heather stated that the Badger Group would be setting up their gazebo on the green.
Andy handed over the flyers for delivery and it was agreed to deliver these with the Newsletter when we get it.
The bird seed is in the garage at the Parish Rooms and Andy will bring the pan for making the feeders.
Findern Pre-School have asked if they could attend and sell toffee apples to raise funds for the school. All present thought this was a good idea but Andy suggested that we should look into whether they would need a hygiene certificate.
Resolved: Jan to check with the pre-school re their hygiene certificate.
ii) Christmas Activities
Santa Stroll 16th December 2011
A street collecting certificate has been obtained from SDDC and the walk has been registered with Rainbows Hospice.
Christmas Tree Festival All Saints Church, Findern
The dates are the 8th and 16th December 2011.
Resolved: Item to be added to the next Agenda (3rd November 2011).
iii) Derby Moor School Pupil Enrichment Programme
Nothing received from Derby Moor School.
iv) Bat box inspection with Derby Bat Society 29th October 2011
Members to meet at the Nadee at 10 am. Heather will ask Steve about the ladder.
v) Visit of Cllr Stanton, Chair of SDDC, 17th October 2011
Members to meet at the Methodist Chapel at 9.30 am. Cllr Ann Hood will greet Cllr Stanton at 10 am.
Sheila and Anne Evans volunteered to make coffee and cakes. Wendy, Seymour and Joan will take Cllr Stanton round the wildlife sites.
vi) Meeting Kate Allies 10th October 2011
The meeting is to discuss future SDDC Environmental Forum events. Members to meet at Lower Green at 1130 to car share to Rosliston. Jan, Liz Froggatt, Heather and Seymour are attending.
vii) Meeting with British Waterways 13th October 2011
This meeting is to discuss grant funding and will be held in the village hall at 2 pm. Liz Froggatt and Clare (Parish Clerk) will be attending and Andy said he would go along as well.
8. Minute Number 376/11/FPG – Public Rights of Way Reports
i) Priory Way
Liz stated she has e-mailed Peter White at DCC but as yet has had no reply so she will be asking Cllr Ford to chase this up.
ii) Crow Park Way Bridleway
Members are advised that a new route for the bridleway has been posted on the locked gate.
9. Minute Number 377/11/FPG – Wildlife Site Management and Database
i) Notice in the A50 lay-by adjacent to Cote Close Bird Sanctuary
Balfour Beatty have agreed to the placing on a sign advising users of the lay-by that the adjacent wildlife site is private land but have asked to see the wording before installation. Members suggested the sign should read ‘Private Land – No Access’ and have also suggested that the group plant a blackthorn hedge as a further deterrent to trespassers.
ii) Cardales Wildflower Meadow Pond Project
The Highways Agency has inspected the sites we lease from them and are very pleased with what we have done so far. They have informed us that the land will be disposed of at some time in the future and suggested that the Parish Council may want to make representations about purchasing the land themselves. As yet no permission has been received from the agency for us to go ahead with the pond project.
iii) Installation of the hedgehog house given to us by Derby Moor School
Heather states she has spoken to the vicar who has given us permission to install the hedgehog house in a corner of the churchyard and it was decided to carry this out on Friday 14th October at 10 am.
iv) Tree Inspection Stanhope Wood
Members could not agree a date as we have so much on in October.
Resolved: Item to be added to the next Agenda (3rd November) to fix a date in November.
10. Minute Number 378/11/FPG – Countryside News and Website
The next Countryside News has been approved and should be going to the printers shortly.
11. Minute Number 379/11/FPG – Wildlife Database
Anne Evans reported that Bumblebees are still active on the winter jasmine in her garden. Other sightings handed to Joan for entering onto the database.
12. Minute Number 380/11/FPG – Date of Next Meeting and Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Methodist Chapel on 3rd November 2011 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Cllr Bell.