The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Methodist Chapel on Thursday November 3 2011 commencing at 7.00pm. The press and public are cordially invited to attend.
1. To receive apologies for absence.
2. Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
3. Finance and fundraising.
4. Communications and notifications, to include
• Entrust enrolment
• Payback Team
• National Forest Walking Festival 2012 meeting, 5.10.11
• Meeting with Kate Allies, 10.10.11
• Meeting with British Waterways, 13.10.11
• Chairman’s visit, 17.10.11
• Meeting with Derby Bat Society, 29.1.10
• Fun On The Green, 26.10.11
7 Event planning
• SD Environmental Forum, 22.11.11
• Christmas Activities
• Fun on the Green, 15.2.12
8 Public rights of way reports
• Priory Way
• Crow Park Bridleway
9 Wildlife site management and database
• Notice for A50 layby
10 Wildlife database
11 Next meeting January 5 2012-appointment of chair.
FINDERN PARISH COUNCIL
Clerk, Findern Parish Rooms, Lower Green, Findern, Derby. DE65 6AD
Tel: 01283 702732 firstname.lastname@example.org
Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 3rd November 2011 at the Methodist Chapel, Findern commencing at 7 pm
Cllr Seymour Bell (Chair), Liz Froggatt, Nev Froggatt, Wendy Hithersay, Heather Hall, Joan Tidy, Frances Prockter, Liz Lenton, Janet MacDonald, Anne Evans, Jan Ashford, Sheila Hughes and Andy Laxton (Derbyshire Countryside Services).
1. Minute Number 381/11/FPG - To receive apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Cllr Martin Woodhouse and Cllr Robert Hudson.
2. Minute Number 382/11/FPG - Declaration of members’ interests (Parish Councillors)
Resolved: Cllr Bell declared a Personal Interest in item 8 Reports, Item v) SDDC Chairs Visit of the agenda. Cllr Bells intention would be to abstain from any decision as advised by the Parish Clerk were a vote to be taken.
3. Minute Number 383/11/FPG – To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 6 October 2011
The minutes of the Footpaths Group meeting held on 6th October 2011 were circulated and approved as a true record.
4. Minute Number 384/11/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
Joan reported that statements for both accounts were received on 25th October 2011 and the accounts balanced. The reserve account stands at £4,910.14p and the current account at £2,873.66p. She states that cheques totalling £1,500 were paid into the current account on 27th October 2011 and that these would show up on next month’s account.
Work is still ongoing re the application for the funding application for improvements along the canal towpath.
5. Minute Number 385/11/FPG – Communications and Notifications
i) ENTRUST Enrolment
Liz reported that part of the conditions for applying to BiffAward is that the group belong to ENTRUST. To become a member of ENTRUST certain amendments have to be made to the group’s Constitution and members personal details passed on to ENTRUST. A copy of the Constitution with the amendments highlighted was passed around discussed.
Following this discussion a vote was taken and it was unanimously agreed to accept the said amendments. (Proposed Frances Prockter, seconded Nev Froggatt)
Liz handed each member a copy for them to complete with their details and asked that all those who have no objection to their details being forwarded to ENTRUST to complete it and give back to her no later than Sunday.
ii) Payback Team
Liz reported that at present Richard is unable to come to Findern every week but instead either 2 or possibly 3 Saturdays a month. She said that if required arrangements could be made for another team to cover the workload.
All present agreed that for the time being we would carry on with Richard’s team whenever he was able to attend.
iii) All Saints Church Christmas Festival
A letter has been received from All Saints Church inviting the group to take part in their Christmas Festival by putting up and decorating a tree for display inside the church. The church would be available for the decorating either on the evening of Thursday the 8th December or the morning of Friday the 9th. The group decided that as in previous years we would like to take part and it was agreed to buy a Holly tree as this could be planted on one of the wildlife sites after the festive period.
Heather volunteered to get the tree and was authorised to spend up to £30. Heather, Anne, Liz Lenton and Janet volunteered to decorate the tree on Thursday 8th December.
6. Minute Number 386/11/FPG – Reports
i) National Forest Walking Festival 2012 meeting 7th October 2011
Joan handed round the draft of the 69 walks proposed so far and stated that more walks were still coming in and that there could be as many as 80 walks in next year’s festival. The festival organisers are making savings on the printing of the walks brochures and are hoping to be able to fund a launch event. Hi-Tech are sponsoring the photo competition and Calke Abbey will be donating the prize for the winning evaluation form. It is anticipated that first proofs will be available week commencing 21st November 2011 and it is hoped that the completed programme will be ready to go to print by 17th December 2011.
The next meeting will be held at Moira on Friday 24th February 2012 from 10 am to 12 noon.
This item to be added to the next Agenda.
ii) Meeting with Kate Allies 10th October 2011
During the meeting the Programme for the Environmental Forum 2012 was discussed. 3 meetings will be during the day and 2 in the evening and will include visits to Calke Abbey and Elvaston Castle.
iii) Meeting with British Waterways re grant funding 13th October 2011
Liz, Joan, Seymour and Clare attended the meeting with Chris Bailey from British Waterways. Chris took away all the details required re programme of works etc and said a project manager would be assigned for the duration of the work.
iv) Meeting with Derbyshire Bat Conservation Group 29th October 2011
Joan and Heather met Alan and Steven Roe and assisted in the checking and cleaning of 14 bat boxes. No bats were found but 7 of the boxes showed signs of use by myotis, pipistrelle and brown long eared bats. Boxes 1-5 on the oak trees north of the A50 showed most use and it was suggested that a further 8 boxes in this location would encourage more bats to use them. They also suggested a date for another box check on either 17th or 18th March 2012.
It was agreed to start fundraising for the 8 boxes as soon as possible and Joan will arrange for a bat box check on Saturday 17th March 2012.
v) SDDC Chairman’s visit 17th October 2011
Cllr Ann Hood and her husband met the Chair, Cllr Stanton and his wife and escorted them down to Crow Park Way to meet other group members. Cllr and Mrs Stanton were very interested in our sites and spent a considerable time in all of them giving group members plenty of time to show off our achievements. After the walk we made our way back to the Methodist Chapel where we met other group members and Cllr Mary Goodall, Vice Chair of Findern Parish Council. We all enjoyed tea and cake before bidding farewell to Cllr and Mrs Stanton who it is hoped will visit us again very soon.
The event went very well but some members were upset by what they considered inappropriate remarks both before and after the visit to the wildlife sites. These remarks were heard by several group members but it is not known if they were heard by anyone other than group members. After a discussion about what if any action we should take regarding these remarks a vote was taken and the majority agreed to send a letter to the Parish Clerk informing her of what had been said and for her to take any action she deemed necessary.
7. Minute Number 387/11/FPG – Evaluations
Fun on the Green 26th October 2011
This was another very good event with an estimated 100+ children attending. The weather was fine and the children didn’t seem to mind getting wet bobbing for apples as all the apples went in no time. Children of all ages were walking around in masks carrying bat boxes and ghosts they’d made themselves. The owls were a particular favourite especially as the children were allowed to hold them.
It was agreed to make a donation of £30 to JTS Falcons
8. Minute Number 388/11/FPG – Event Planning
i) South Derbyshire Environmental Forum 22nd November 2011
This event is being held in Repton from 7 pm to 9 pm and members should meet at Lower Green at 6.30 pm to car share. Liz, Frances, Joan, Nev, Sheila, Heather and Liz Lenton will be attending.
ii) Christmas Activities - Santa Stroll 16th December 2011 (in aid of Rainbows Hospice)
Liz is booking the Methodist Chapel so we can meet there and change into our Santa suits. The walk will start at 11 am and walk down Common Piece Lane and Crow Park Way then along the canal towpath to Willington. After lunch the return walk will be along Findern Lane, past Mercia Marina and back to the Methodist Chapel. Although group members have sponsorship forms collections will also be made on the way and a street collections licence has been obtained from SDDC. Most agreed to lunch in The Green Man and Liz will contact the landlord. All present agreed to attend except Jan and Anne.
iii) Fun on The Green 15th February 2012
Liz states she has already booked Alan Withington who will be making bee boxes. Another idea is willow weaving and Andy will let us have contact details. More ideas are sought for further things to do/make.
This item is to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
iv) Tree inspection Stanhope Wood
It was agreed that there was no need for any further work at this time.
9. Minute Number 389/11/FPG – Public Rights of Way Reports
i) Priory Way
Cllr Martyn Ford had been chasing this up for us and an e-mail has been received from Peter White at DCC informing us that the new footpaths officers starts there on 28th November 2011 so we should hear something about this work soon. It was decided to invite the new footpaths officer to visit us when he’s settled in.
ii) Crow Park Way Bridleway
It is understood that the road down to the underpass is to be resurfaced in a non slip material suitable for horses, however, as it is likely that some riders would still prefer to ride on grass a deterrent is to be sought to prevent them getting onto the bank at all. It is also understood that a horse hop may be installed in Cote Close Bird Sanctuary although the Highways Agency may object to this if it encroaches into their land.
10. Minute Number 390/11/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
Liz is contacting Balfour Beatty re the sign in the lay-by on the A50 adjacent to Cote Close. It is also suggested that a dead hedge be laid alongside the fence between Cote Close and the lay-by as a further deterrent.
11. Minute Number 391/11/FPG – Wildlife Database
Heather reminded Joan about the Little Owl she reported outside Clovermead Kennels on 14th October.
12. Minute Number 392/11/FPG – Date of Next Meeting and Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Methodist Chapel on 5th January 2012 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Wendy Hithersay.