Date of Meeting
The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Methodist Chapel on Thursday 5 January 2012 commencing at 7.00pm. The press and public are cordially invited to attend.
1. To receive apologies for absence.
Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 5th January 2012 at the Methodist Chapel, Findern commencing at 7pm
Wendy Hithersay (Chair), Joan Tidy, Anne Evans, Heather Hall, Janet Macdonald, Neville Froggatt, Frances Prockter, Cllr Seymour Bell, Sheila Hughes, Jan Ashford and Andy Laxton (Derbyshire Countryside Service).
1. Minute Number 393/12/FPG - To receive apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Liz Lenton, Liz Froggatt, Mary Ross MBE JP and Cllr Ann Hood.
2. Minute Number 394/12/FPG - Declaration of members’ interests (Parish Councillors)
There were no declarations of members’ interests.
3. Minute Number 395/12/FPG – To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 3rd November 2011
The minutes of the Footpaths Group meeting held on 3rd November 2011 were circulated and approved as a true record.
4. Minute Number 396/12/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
Joan stated that she had not yet received December’s statement to balance the accounts; however, there had been several transactions in and out of the current account which now stands at £5,812.13p. (Members were reminded that this included pledges made in respect of the application for the Biffa Award for towpath improvement works).
There has been no movement on the reserve account which still stands at £4910.14p.
i) Bat box funding.
Liz states she has completed the funding application which has been checked and signed by Clare and is ready to post. However, 2/3 letters of support from the community are still required.
Heather states she will get a letter and forward it to Liz.
ii) Towpath improvement funding.
Liz states she received the paperwork from British Waterways on 21st December and sent it to Clare for checking and forwarding to Biffa but she had not heard anything so was unsure of the current position.
Joan states she spoke to Clare this morning and that the paperwork had been forwarded to Biffa.
iii) Derbyshire Wildlife Trust ‘Community Open Spaces – Reaching Communities’ application.
Liz stated that Tim Brooks from DWT would like to come out on Tuesday at 10 am to see the sites if any members were free to meet him. If no one was available to visit would be re arranged.
No members were available so Nev will ask Liz to rearrange the visit.
5. Minute Number 397/12/FPG – Communications and Notifications.
i) Invitation to fundraising event at Sharp’s Pottery, Swadlincote
This event takes place on 20th January 2012 from 9.30 am.
Nev and Heather volunteered to attend.
ii) Installation of bird boxes 3rd February 2012
Stuart Collins from British Waterways has some bird boxes for installation along the towpath if any group members are free to assist him. Meet 3rd February 2012 at 10 am at the Nadee Restaurant.
Heather, Janet and Nev volunteered to attend.
iii) South Derbyshire Environmental Forum
Kate Allies would like to hold an event in Findern on 17th April 2012.
Members are asked to keep this date free if possible.
iv) First Aid Kit and Hi-Vis jackets
Liz had received an e-mail from Stuart Collins re a suitable first aid kit and what details we should have on our hi-vis jackets and asked members if she should go ahead and order these as we have funding for them from DCC.
Members agreed for Liz to proceed with the order.
6. Minute Number 398/12/FPG – Reports
i) LDAP Forum 5th November 2011
Heather and Liz attended this event and Heather said it was very good and she learnt a lot.
Liz stated that we needed to attack the Himalayan Balsam in March while it was still small enough to deal with. She stated the Lowland Derby Biodiversity Action Plan for 2011-2020 had been launched and that Kate Allies would be discussing this at the SD Environmental Forum and we will need to study its implications for us to discuss it with the Parish Council.
ii) South Derbyshire Environmental Forum 22nd November 2011
Several members attended the forum which had centred on activities for fund raising.
7. Minute Number 399/12/FPG – Evaluations
i) Christmas Tree Festival All Saints Church
All agreed there were some excellent presentations in the church for the festive season.
The group extended thanks to Heather, Liz Lenton and Janet for their work on our tree.
ii) Santa Stroll 16th December 2011
Group members dressed in Santa suits walked to Willington to raise money for Rainbows Hospice. The Green Man in Willington put on an excellent buffet for us and staff at Betty’s Farms provided coffee and mince pies. Findern resident Mick Coe who completed the Santa Run at Elvaston Castle the previous week joined us on the walk. Mick raised £137.50 at Elvaston and put his money with ours so the total raised in sponsorship and collections is £469.24p.
All proceeds were banked and a cheque was sent to Rainbows on 30th December 2011.
Nev reported that Liz had sent thank you cards to The Green Man and Betty’s Farm.
iii) Meeting with Sue Ellis from Newton Solney 19th December 2011
Heather, Frances and Sheila met Sue and gave her a guided tour of our wildlife sites. Sue said she had enjoyed her tour very much and was impressed with what the group has achieved.
8. Minute Number 400/12/FPG – Event Planning
i) Meeting with DWT 10th January 2012
As discussed under minute number 396/12 – fundraising - this meeting is to be rearranged.
ii) South Derbyshire Environmental Project 16th April 2012 and 25th November 2012
Kate Allies has offered to run a free activity for the children on these dates using her staff. The April date is a training day so the children should be around and for the date in November Kate suggests a Christmas themed activity.
Both of these items are to be added to future agendas for further discussion.
iii) Fun on the Green 15th February 2012
Andy says he can do the posters and flyers for us to publicise the event.
Liz says she can book a firm who will bring 30/40 live animals but want £120.
Following a discussion the group voted unanimously to go ahead with the booking.
Alan Withington will be there building bee boxes.
Andy is to contact the ‘owl’ man to arrange for him to bring his owls as they were so popular last year.
Other events planned are apple bobbing and Nev has built a ‘Splat the Rat’ but requires 3 ‘rats’ (available from IKEA).
Heather and Wendy volunteered to go and buy the rats.
iv) National Forest Walking Festival 2012
Joan has received a PDF of this years walks leaflet. She states the next meeting is 24th February 2012 at Moira and she should get some leaflets then.
9. Minute Number 401/12/FPG – Public Rights of Way Reports
Heather asked if the new Rights of Way Officer was in place at Matlock as she had walked Priory Way recently and no improvements had been made. Andy states the new officer is in place and that he knows the issues re Priory Way. Andy will ask him to contact us to arrange a site visit.
10. Minute Number 402/12/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
i) Signs for the A50 lay-by
As yet we have heard nothing from the Highways Agency re the installation of the signs.
ii) Pond Project Cardales Meadow
Nev states we have still not heard anything from the Highways Agency re their approval for our pond project and states he will ask Liz to contact Heather Wheeler MP to intercede on our behalf to move things forward.
11. Minute Number 403/12/FPG – Wildlife Database
Anne Evans reports being stung by a wasp in her conservatory.
Sheila and Jan state that daffodils are in flower in Findern Lane, Willington and in Hillside, Findern.
Nev handed round a photograph of 2 Goldcrests taken in his garden on 4th January 2012.
12. Minute Number 404/12/FPG – Date of Next Meeting and Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Methodist Chapel on 2nd February 2012 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Neville Froggatt.
[ Go Back ]