The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Methodist Chapel on Thursday 2 February 2012 commencing at 7.00pm. The press and public are cordially invited to attend.
Please bring any items which can be used as prizes. Thank you.
1. To receive apologies for absence.
2. Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
3. To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 5 January 2012.
4. Finance and fundraising to include.
• Bat box funding
• DCC Community Action Grant
• Parish Council assistance
5. Communications and notifications.
6. Group constitution
• Meeting with Derbyshire Wildlife Trust, 16.1.12
• Survive & Prosper 20.1.12
• Melbourne Footpaths Group 25.2.12
8 Event planning
• Bird box installation, 3.2.12
• Meeting Duncan Lovatt, ROW assistant, 13.2.12
• Fun on the Green, 15.2.12
• National Forest Walking Festival meeting 24.2.2012
• Jubilee celebrations
• Nature Detectives in Findern 16.2.12
• Elves Workshop, 25.11.12
9 Public rights of way reports
10 Wildlife site management and database
• Notice for A50 layby
• Cardales Wildflower Meadow, DWT report.
11 Wildlife database
12 Next meeting March 1 2012-appointment of chair.
Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 2nd February 2012 at the Methodist Chapel, Findern commencing at 7 pm
Neville Froggatt (Chair), Wendy Hithersay, Heather Hall, Joan Tidy, Sheila Hughes, Frances Prockter, Jan Ashford, Cllr Seymour Bell, Cllr Robert Hudson (Chair Findern Parish Council), Steven Roe (Derbyshire Bat Conservation Group) and Andy Laxton (Derbyshire Countryside Services).
1. Minute Number 405/12/FPG - To receive apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Liz Lenton, Liz Froggatt and Anne Evans.
2. Minute Number 406/12/FPG - Declaration of members’ interests (Parish Councillors)
There were no declarations of members’ interests.
3. Minute Number 407/12/FPG – To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 5th January 2012
The minutes of the Footpaths Group meeting held on 5th January 2012 were circulated and approved as a true record.
4. Minute Number 408/12/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
Joan stated that statements for both accounts had been received and the accounts balanced.
She reported the Group had received a donation of £100 from Mrs Shilcock and this had been paid into the Reserve Account. 49p interest had also been received so the Reserve Account currently stands at £5,010.63p.
The Current Account stands at £5550.42p. (The group were reminded that this amount includes £2,500 in pledges received in respect of the ongoing Biffa funding application).
i) Nev reported that Liz had sent of the funding application for Bat boxes but has had no reply as yet. Steven stated that the Derbyshire Bat Conservation Group’s offer of part funding still stands.
ii) The DCC Community Action Grant has nearly all been spent. Nev had brought along the newly purchased First Aid Kit in its own rucksack for the Group to have a look at as well as a Hi-Vis jacket complete with the Group logo on the front and ‘volunteer’ printed on the back.
iii) It was reported that Findern Parish Council had pledged £500 towards the half term events the group stages on The Green. The Group extends thanks to the Parish Council for their continued support of our events.
5. Minute Number 409/12/FPG – Communications and Notifications
i) A card had been received from Mary Ross MBE JP thanking us for her “retirement” gift.
ii) Liz has sent a thank you card to Mrs Shilcock for her donation to Group funds.
iii) Nev reported that SDDC we offering free trees and it was agreed that we should ask for some.
iv) Nev reported that the Group had been invited to the inaugural meeting of the Mercia Marina Wildlife Committee which is on Sunday 5th February 2012 at 1430 hours. Unfortunately no one present was available at such short notice, however, Steven said he was going on behalf of the Bat Conservation Group and would pass on our apologies.
v) Willington Parish Council has invited us to their Parish meeting on Tuesday 17th April 2012 commencing at 7 pm in the old school, Castle Way. However, this clashes with the Environmental Forum meeting which the Group is hosting so apologies will have to be sent.
vi) A letter has been received from Pat Maddock thanking the Group for taking part in All Saints Church’s 2011 Christmas Tree Festival which raised more than £67 for the Church.
6. Minute Number 410/12/FPG – Group Constitution
Entrust had asked for a few amendments to the wording of our Group Constitution. Nev passed round a copy of the Constitution with the new wording and there were no objections to the amendments.
7. Minute Number 411/12/FPG – Reports
i) Meeting with Tim Brooks, Derbyshire Wildlife Trust 26th January 2012
Heather reported that this was Tim’s first visit to Findern and he was very impressed with what we had achieved. He stated he is keen on hedge laying and offered his expertise should we need it in the future. He stated that the trust is going ahead with an application for funding for a ranger to assist groups such as ours in the South Derbyshire area.
ii) ‘Survive and Prosper’ event at Swadlincote on 20th January 2012
Heather and Wendy attended this event which concentrated on how to get money for projects. The event was well attended and everyone was impressed with our display boards. Heather stated that Eric Clayton BTCV had grants of up to £1,000 available.
iii) Melbourne Footpaths Group first meeting 25th January 2012
Joan and Seymour attended and Seymour was able to give advice on how to start, i.e. by surveying all their footpaths, and who to contact at DCC and SDDC for advice and assistance.
8. Minute Number 412/12/FPG – Event Planning
i) Bird Box installation Friday 3rd February 2012
Joan, Nev and Heather will meet Stuart (British Waterways) at the Nadee at 10 am.
ii) Meeting with Duncan Lovatt (Rights of Way Officer DCC) Monday 13th February 2012
Joan, Nev, Liz, Frances and Seymour will meet Duncan at 1030 at the Methodist Chapel.
iii) Fun on the Green Wednesday 15th February 2012
Wendy asked if she could go ahead and buy more items for the event and there were no objections.
A check list of who was doing what on the day was completed.
iv) National Forest Walking Festival meeting Friday 24th February 2012
Joan and Andy are attending this meeting which is at Moira commencing at 10 am.
v) HM Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee celebrations
Frances suggested planting a ‘royal’ oak tree in commemoration of the jubilee and it was agreed to visit the Woodland Trusts website on how to obtain the tree for planting in the autumn.
Nev suggested a Parish walk to take place on Monday 4th June 2012.
This item is to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
vi) ‘Nature Detectives’ Monday 16th April 2012
This is an event being planned in partnership with Kate Allies, Environmental Development Manager SDDC..
This item is to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
vii) Summer Evening Walk Wednesday 22nd August 2012
This is a repeat of last year’s summer evening walk organised with Kate Allies. The walk will start on The Green at 7 pm and is free but donations would be accepted for group funds.
viii) Wild Derby Walk Wednesday 26th September 2012
This year instead of having to start the walk in the Derby City area the Wild Derby organisers have agreed to let us do a walk in Findern. It is proposed to do the Findern Historical Walk commencing at 1.30 pm and finishing at 3.30 pm with tea in the Methodist Chapel. (Joan has spoken to Lynette who states they will be happy to cater for the walkers with sufficient notice).
ix) ‘Elves Workshop’ Sunday 25th November 2012
This is another event in partnership with Kate Allies, Environmental Development Manager SDDC.
This item is to be added to a later agenda for further discussion.
9. Minute Number 413/12/FPG – Public Rights of Way Reports
i) Nev reported that there was some graffiti on the A50 underpass. Heather offered to help Nev to clean it up.
ii) Frances reported that people were taking the logs that had been piled up by British Waterways along the towpath and wondered if anything could be done to stop them. Group members are meeting Stuart to put up bird boxes on Friday and will inform him.
10. Minute Number 414/12/FPG – Wildlife Sight Management
i) A50 lay-by
Still no response from the Department of Transport re a sign. Group members suggest planting a blackthorn hedge to prevent people getting from the lay-by into Cote Close Bird Sanctuary.
ii) Cardales Wildflower Meadow
Group members had received Derbyshire Wildlife Trust’s survey of the plant life in the meadow. A total of 8 Local Wildlife Site grassland indicators were recorded during the survey and as 10 are required for Local Wildlife Site Designation the meadow does not quality at present. However, more plant species are appearing all the time and it is hoped that when the next survey is done more indicators would be present.
11. Minute Number 415/12/FPG – Wildlife Database
Nev handed Joan his sightings for January.
Wendy reported a hedgehog (live) in her garden last Saturday.
There have been several sightings of a fox in the Hillside, Aults Close area recently.
12. Minute Number 416/12/FPG – Date of Next Meeting and Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Methodist Chapel on 1st March 2012 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Liz Froggatt.