The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Parish Rooms on Thursday 5 April 2012 commencing at 7.00pm. The press and public are cordially invited to attend.
Please bring any items which can be used as prizes. Thank you.
1. To receive apologies for absence.
2. Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
3. To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 1 March 2012.
4. Finance and fundraising to include
- DCC Community Action Grant
- Green watch Action Grant
- Derbyshire Wildlife Trust Value in Trees Project
5. Communications and notifications
6 Event planning
- Nature Detectives in Findern 16.4.2012
- SD Environmental Forum meeting, 17.4.2012
- Willington Parish Council meeting, 17.4.2012
- Dawn Chorus walk Saturday 12th May 2012
- ‘Crowns and Tiaras’ Walk, 4.6.2012
- Findern Village Fete, 16.6.2012
- Memory Walk tbc
- Fun on The Green Wednesday 24 October 2012
7 Public rights of way reports
8 Wildlife site management
- Meeting with British Waterways, 5.3. 2012
- White Letter Hairstreak Butterfly Project
9 Wildlife database
10 Next meeting Thursday May 3 2012 - appointment of chair.
Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 5th April 2012 at the Parish Rooms Findern commencing at 7 pm
Present: Heather Hall, Liz Lenton, Seymour Bell, Anne Evans (in the chair), Janet McDonald, Mary Ross MBE JP, Jan Ashford, Karen Walker (in attendance for item 7 vii)
1. Minute Number 429/12/FPG - To receive apologies for absence
Apologies for absence were received from Liz Froggatt, Neville Froggatt, Frances Proctor, Sheila Hughes, Robert Hudson and Joan Tidy
2. Minute Number 430/12/FPG - Declaration of members’ interests (Parish Councillors)
There were no declarations of members interests.
3. Minute Number 431/12/FPG – To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on
Minute 5 subpara3 should read as ‘not known’ rather than now known’. Apart from this correction the minutes were agreed and accepted.
4. Minute Number 432/12/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
No change to the Reserve Account which still stands at £5010.63
Current Account now stands at £2606.68
i) DCC Community Action Grant
This has now been spent and Liz Froggatt has completed the monitoring form. A banner has been ordered at a cost of £563.82. The final design is awaited.
ii) Greenwatch Action Grant
The bat boxes have been ordered at a cost of £423.52
iii) Derbyshire Wildlife Trust Value Trees Project
500 trees have been applied for. Full permission from British Waterways to plant along the towpath. Decision awaited.
iv) Heather reported that the mower handle has been repaired.
Action : Joan to send a ‘thank you note’.
v) Heather reported that Harold Smith has made 3 branding irons for the group – one with the letters FFG, one with a single F and one with a single G. The meeting agreed a payment of £20 for this work.
Action : Joan to reimburse Heather for this cost
5. Minute Number 433/12/FPG – Communication and Notifications
i) The computer in the Parish Rooms has been overhauled by Dave Berisford, free of charge. Group e-mails will now be received there. All keys are now in the office – Liz Froggatt, Seymour, Joan and Heather have keys to the Parish Rooms if required.
ii) Heather Wheeler, MP is looking into the possible transfer of Highways Authority sites to community ownership.
6. Minute Number 434/12/FPG – Reports and Evaluations
Bat box checking and installation Saturday 17th March 2012
Members had previously been circulated with Steven Roe’s report. It showed evidence of use of boxes by bats of 26.7% since the last check in October 2011.
7. Minute Number 435/12/FPG – Event Planning
i) Nature Detectives in Findern Monday 16.4.2012
This event has been cancelled due to the rescheduling of the Findern School closure.
Kate Allies is offering to do a Christmas Event on Nov 25th 1-3. (Elves Workshop?)
Action : date and title of event to be clarified – this date is a Sunday
ii) SD Environmental Forum meeting Tuesday 17.4.2012
The programme for the meeting is now as follows
6.30pm – 7.30pm : walk to the sett
7.30 – 8.30pm : presentation on badgers
8.30 – 9pm : Biodiversity Action Plans
9pm : walk to the badger sett with torches after the meeting
Heather will open the Chapel at 5.30pm and has permission from the landowner to cross the land to the sett. She will inform Faye Holloway and Rosemary Noblett of the evening’s activities in case of concern if torches etc are viewed on the land.
Tea and biscuits will be served as refreshments – Anne Evans and Liz Lenton offered to assist and Heather Hall and Liz Lenton will provide the refreshments.
iii) Willington Parish Council meeting 17.4.2012
Liz Froggatt attending
iv) Dawn Chorus Walk Saturday 12.5.2012
Currently 11 tickets have been sold therefore 19 still available. Breakfast at the Chapel has been organised.
v) ‘Crowns and Tiaras’ walk Monday 4.6.2012
It was suggested that Seymour request £100 from the Parish Council to purchase ‘medals’ and other small prizes for this event.
Action : Heather agreed to write a letter for Seymour to present to the Parish Council to this effect.
vi) Findern Village Fete Saturday 16.6.2012
Interest was expressed in running a fundraising stall for the group at this event. Heather will check what are the arrangements for the use of funds raised – i.e. for the Village Hall or for individual organisations.
Wendy, Janet, Anne and Heather are available to help on the day.
The next Fete Meeting is 18th April, 7.30pm in the Methodist Chapel
vii) Memory Walk September
Karen Walker attended the meeting to discuss holding a Memory Walk in aid of the Alzheimer’s Society in September 2012. She is aiming for an attendance of 100 people and would charge £5 a ticket. The ticket can be used for people to indicate who they are walking in memory of.
The walk would follow the route of Findern Historical Walk and include a period of reflection and prayer in the section of Stanhope Wood where there are several commemorative trees.
A date of 15th September 2012, meeting at 11am at Lower Green was agreed subject to a walk leader being available.
This item to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
viii) Fun on the Green 24.10.2012
Wendy reported that Zoolab had quoted a cost £216 including VAT for 2hours attendance.
Action: to be future agenda item
8. Minute Number 436/12/FPG – Public Rights of Way Reports
i) Litter, Airport Way
A member of Findern Footpaths Group brought a selection of litter such as pieces of solid plastic which have been found on this path. It appears to have been in such a condition for several months.
Action : Seymour to investigate further
9. Minute Number 437/12/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
i) Meeting with British Waterways Monday 5.3.2012
A litter-pick of the towpath and planting of trees donated by South Derbyshire District Council took place. The Payback Team have already started on improvements discussed with Stuart.
ii) White Letter Hairstreak Butterfly Project
A villager has put us in touch with the Butterfly Conservation Trust who would like us to plant disease resistant elms along the tow path as food for this endangered butterfly. British Waterways are supportive, but funding will be needed for this project.
Action : to be a future agenda item
10. Minute Number 438/12/FPG – Wildlife Database
- Liz Lenton reported seeing a bat on Castle Hill last week.
- Reports have been received of sightings of a badger, which appeared to be healthy, in broad daylight.
- Reported sightings of orange tipped butterfly and blackcap
- Frogspawn in Stanhope Hole
11. Minute Number 440/12/FPG – Date of Next Meeting and Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Parish Rooms on 3rd May 2012 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Seymour Bell