The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Parish Rooms on Thursday 7 June 2012 commencing at 7.00pm. The press and public are cordially invited to attend.
Next meeting Thursday 5 July 2012 - appointment of chair.
- To receive apologies for absence.
- Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
- To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 3 May 2012.
- Finance and fundraising
• Value in Trees Project (Jubilee Wood).
• Fundraising at Findern Village Fete, 16 June.
• Fundraising at Mercia Marina, 7/8 July
• Fundraising at Willington Carnival, 14 July.
• Approval of proposed promotional banner.
- Communications and notifications
- Report and evaluations
• Dawn Chorus Walk, 12 May
• SD Environmental Forum, 16 May
• Findern Historical Walk, 24 May
• Crowns and Tiaras Walk, 4 June
- Event planning
• SD Environmental Forum 3 July.
• National Forest Walking Festival evaluation meeting, 6 July.
• Fun on The Green Wednesday 24 October
- Public rights of way reports
- Wildlife site management
• Boardwalk laying, Ballast Hole Pond
• Himalayan Balsam removal.
- Wildlife database
Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 5th June 2012 at the Parish Rooms, Findern commencing at 7 pm
Present: Janet Macdonald (Chair),Joan Tidy, Cllr Seymour Bell, Jan Ashford, Sheila Hughes, Liz Lenton, Steve Cresswell (Derbyshire Countryside Services), Andy Laxton (Derbyshire Countryside Services), Anne Evans, Heather Hall, Wendy Hithersay, Neville Froggatt
The meeting opened with a presentation to Andy Laxton who has been a Head Ranger at Elvaston Castle for many years with the Derbyshire Countryside Services of Derbyshire County Council and given a huge amount of support to the group. Due to reorganisation of the County Councils Countryside Services he is now moving to become Assistant General Manager at Shipley Park. Steve Cresswell was welcomed to the meeting and he will be taking on the new role of Countryside Officer with a responsibility for volunteer involvement in footpaths and countryside matters across the county.
1. Minute Number 452/12/FPG - To receive apologies for absence
Frances Prockter, Liz Froggatt
2. Minute Number 453/12/FPG - Declaration of members’ interests (Parish Councillors)
3. Minute Number 454/12/FPG – To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 3rd May 2012
Minute number 6 should read as ‘disappointed that no Badger Group members attended’ rather than ‘ disappointed at poor turnout’ otherwise agreed and accepted.
4. Minute Number 455/12/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
Joan reported that she has received the books back from the auditors, no recommendations have been made.
Reserve Account : £5011.13
Current Account : £2820.33
Heather has purchased 5 ridge tiles for the top of the insect hotel at a cost of £20. She is to be reimbursed.
i) Value in Trees Project (Jubilee Wood)
This funding application has been successful and will be used to create a small Jubilee Wood along the towpath by Ballast Hole Pond.
Action : Neville to discuss with Stuart Collins from British Waterways.
Fundraising at Findern Village Fete Saturday 16 June
The group will offer a couple of games. Wendy, Janet and Neville are available to help. The stall will be set up around 12noon.
ii) Fundraising at Mercia Marina Saturday/Sunday 7/8 July
Members are only available to attend Saturday 7th July 2012 – Janet, Neville, Joan and Sheila. Need to set up the stall at 9am.
iii) Fundraising at Willington Carnival Saturday 14 July
This was briefly discussed.
Action : Neville to book a stall. It is unclear how many members are available to help on that day – to discuss at next meeting
iv) Approval of proposed promotional banner
5. Minute Number 456/12/FPG – Communications and Notifications
i) An e-mail has been received from Stuart Collins of to the effect that materials are now ready to build the Boardwalk at Ballast Hole. 6 people for 2 days are required to carry out the work. The dates of 14th-15th August were proposed.
Action : Liz Froggatt to be requested to e-mail Stuart with this information.
ii) A copy of the recent Mercia Marina Newsletter has been sent to everyone by e-mail
iii) An e-mail about the Jubilee Woods has been circulated to everyone
iv) An e-mail about Springwatch has been circulated to everyone
6. Minute Number 457/12/FPG – Reports and Evaluations
i) Dawn Chorus Walk 12 May
17 people attended and it was a very enjoyable event.
ii) SD Environmental Forum 16 May
Frances Prockter attended the event and sent a written report. It was poorly attended but very interesting. The day was about Birds and Insects and led by Dave Budworth. He spoke about the British Trust for Ornithology Breeding Bird Survey including time spent outside learning how to plot birds heard and seen on a map. He also spoke about the Nest Record Scheme and Butterfly Conservation Moth Count. Frances has leaflets about the various activities should anyone be interested in getting involved in their own garden etc.
iii) Findern Historical Walk 24 May
Andy Laxton led this walk as part of the National Forest Walking Festival. 8 people took part in addition to Findern Footpath Group members.
iv) Crowns and Tiaras Walk 4 June
This went well and the weather was sunny and warm. It broke even on the sale of tickets and purchase of medals with some profit made from sales of items and games.
7. Minute Number 458/12/FPG – Event Planning
i) SD Environmental Forum Tuesday 3 July
This will be held 2.30-6.30pm Tuesday July 3rd 2012 at Rosliston. Neville is attending.
ii) National Forest Walking Festival evaluation meeting Friday 6 July
This will be held 12 – 2pm Friday 6th July 2012 at Moira. Joan is attending.
iii) Memory Walk Saturday 15 September
Frances sent a written report. The walk is being organised by Karen Walker and will commence at 10am from the Green. Karen is selling tickets and refreshments will be in the Parish Rooms. Proceeds are for the Alzheimer’s Society. 100 people are expected in groups of 25 so 3 leaders in addition to Frances are required. Joan is doing the Risk Assessment and leaders will be wearing Hi Vis jackets.
Action : further discussion at next meeting when Frances will be present. Volunteers to be identified then.
iv) Fun on the Green Wednesday 31 October
This was discussed.
Actions :The Minizoo is to be booked. Andy to enquire whether the Owl Man is available. Heather to contact Alan Withington re attending and making planters.
v) ‘Big Society in Action’
This is being held at Derbyshire County Council Headquarters on Tuesday 12th June. Heather, Neville and Wendy are attending.
8. Minute Number 459/12/FPG – Public Rights of Way Reports
i) The middle stile on Rushy Meadow Way has a plank loose.
Action : Heather to discuss with Mr Hicklin
ii) Walkers continue to report confusion about the route of Priory Way.
Action : Liz Froggatt to be requested to contact the Footpaths Officer
9. Minute Number 460/12/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
i) Boardwalk laying, Ballast Hole Pond
See Minute 456/FPG point i) from this meeting
ii) Himalayan Balsam removal
The Himalayan Balsam needs to be removed from Ballast Hole and other areas of the canal towpath before it flowers. People doing the work should wear long sleeves, trousers and wellington boots. Gauntlets will be provided.
To be carried out Monday 11th June 2012 meeting 10am at the Nadee.
10. Minute Number 461/12/FPG – Wildlife Database
i) The following sitings were noted
2 partridges in Cote Close
2 green woodpeckers in the Wildflower Meadow
Reed Bunting at the Scrapeout
Heron in a garden on Sycamore Avenue
11. Minute Number 462/12/FPG – Date of next Meeting and Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Parish Rooms on Thursday 5th July 2012 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Wendy Hithersay.