Date of Meeting
|The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Parish Rooms on Thursday 6 Septembert 2012 commencing at 7.00pm. The press and public are cordially invited to attend. |
1. To receive apologies for absence.
2. Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
3. To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 2 August 2012.
4. Finance and fundraising.
• Funding for WLT butterfly project
5. Communications and notifications
• Land leases
• Summer Walk, 22.8.12
7. Event planning
• Memory Walk, 15.9.2012
• Fun On The Green, 31.10.2012
• Jubilee Wood planting
• Christmas fundraising and Santa Stroll
8 Public rights of way reports
• Meeting with Duncan Lovatt & Steve Cresswell, 21.8.2012, 10am
9 Wildlife site management
10 Wildlife database
11 Next meeting Thursday 4 October 2012- appointment of chair.
| || Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 6th September 2012 at the Parish Rooms, Findern commencing at 7 pm |
Seymour Bell (Chair), Jan Ashford, Wendy Hithersay, Frances Prockter, Heather Hall, Anne Evans, Tom Freeland (Canal and River Trust), Neville Froggatt, Liz Froggatt, Karen Walker, Sheila Hughes, Mary Ross, Clive Reed
1. Minute Number 486/12/FPG - To receive apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Martin Woodhouse, Elizabeth Lenton
2. Minute Number 487/12/FPG - Declaration of members’ interests (Parish Councillors)
There were no Declarations of Members’ interest.
3. Minute Number 488/12/FPG – To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 2nd August 2012
Agreed with the correction of point 5, minute 478/12/FPG (i) reading “....confirming the meeting....” rather than ”....confirming at meeting....”
4. Minute Number 489/12/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
Joan had reported that she had received bank statements and balanced both accounts which stand at:
Current Account £2680.21p and Reserve Account unchanged at £5011.63
(i) Funding for WLT Butterfly Project – Liz Froggatt requires a further 3 letters of support in respect of the funding application for disease resistant elms for the Butterfly Conservation Project, in particular from connections with children. A suggested wording for the letter was “I/we are supportive of planting disease resistant plants along the canal.”
(ii) The Parish Council asked if Findern Footpaths Group would write a letter supporting benches on George V Playing Fields – this was agreed
Action : Liz Froggatt to write the letter
5. Minute Number 490/12/FPG – Communications and Notifications (other than e-mails forwarded)
(i) Biodiversity News
Members of the group were asked to note the information on page three of Derbyshire Biodiversity News regarding the Annual Forum. This year’s Forum will be held at the year-end again. Details and dates are still being finalized, (it is likely to be either 17th November or 1st December). Its main theme will focus on the ways in which small or large projects can reach out and inform their audiences with conservation and biodiversity messages.
(ii) Land Leases
Liz reported that the Highways Agency is raising the rent to £60 per year for both Cardales and Cote Close respectively. The leases have been renewed for 2 years until 2014.
Stanhope Wood is still under lease form the late Mr Cox but Stanhope Hole is not. Liz Froggatt has spoken to the late Mr Cox’s solicitors and a decision is pending.
(iii) Memorial Benches
Liz Froggatt has received a phone call from Sally Swinfin at Radio Derby re Memorial Benches and will ring her back with further information.
6. Minute Number 491/12/FPG – Evaluations
(i) Summer Walk 22.8.12
Neville and 2 members of the Rosliston Team carried out this walk accompanied by 13 members of the public. It was a very enjoyable walk.
7. Minute Number 492/12/FPG – Event Planning
(i) Memory Walk Saturday 15.9.2012
Karen reported that she has sold 60 tickets and there are 40 tickets left. The walk is taking place on Saturday 15th September 2012 during Alzheimers Week. The cost is £5 per walker and refreshments are being sponsored by Murrays Funeral Directors on whose behalf Karen is organising the walk. Some information re fundraising can be found on “Burton TV News” and there will be more up-to-date information during the event. Swarkestone Garden Centre has provided a box of seeds for people to plant in memory of those they have lost. The main start time is 10am however there are staggered starting times led by Seymour, Heather, Sheila and Janet.
Joan had carried out Risk Assessments - passed to Frances.
(ii) Butterfly Survey
A butterfly survey had been suggested in Cardales Meadow and Ken Orpe from East Midlands Butterfly Conservation Group has visited the site and offered to help. (Information already circulated by e-mail.)
Action : Heather will liaise with Ken with a view to carrying out a survey next year.
(iii) SD Environmental Forum 25.9.2012
“Practical Skills at Calke Abbey” - Joan indicated that she was available for either session. Frances, Janet and Sheila were available for the evening session, Heather and Mary for the afternoon.
(iv) Findern Historical Walk Wednesday 26.9.2012, 1.30pm
Joan reported that posters are on the boards. This is a walk we do for Derby City who give us £25. Joan will be attending with First Aid Kit – Frances and Janet also agreed to attend.
(v) Bat Box check Saturday 13th or Saturday 27th October 2012
Two dates had been suggested by Stephen Roe for checking the bat boxes. The group agreed on Saturday 13th October 2012.
Action : Heather to let Stephen know the date.
(iv) Fun on the Green Wednesday 31.10.2012
It was asked if the Parish Council could donate money already pledged towards this even, as we are incurring expenses.
Action : Seymour to ask the Parish Council
Wendy will make ‘bat masks’
(v) Jubilee Wood Planting
Janet, Joan and Liz Froggatt went to a meeting with Derbyshire Wildlife Trust (DWT) who will provide 1500 trees (500 per year for 3 years). They are to be planted along the towpath where the willows were taken out. DWT are also providing stakes and mulch mats. A date is awaited for the availability of the trees.
(vi) Christmas Fundraising and Santa Stroll
a) The group has been invited to have a stall at Findern School Fundraising event on Thursday 24.9.2012 from 2-4pm. Heather and Wendy offered to run this.
b) The charity for the Santa Stroll this year is Findern Pre-School. It was suggested that the stroll be to the Marina and return via the towpath.
Action : Liz Froggatt will discuss options and possible dates with Pre-School and report back to the October meeting of the group
(vii) National Walking Festival May 18th- 30th May 2013
Joan has asked if the group would like to take part in next year’s Walking Festival. The date of the next Steering Group is
Friday 5th October 2012 at 10am at Moira. The possibility of a daytime rather than an evening walk was put forward.
Action : for further discussion at the October meeting of the group.
(viii) Harvest Festival All Saint’s Church Findern Sunday 30.9.2012
A letter had been received from All Saints Church asking if the group would like to decorate an area of the church for the Harvest Festival. It was agreed that we would. Fresh produce donated will be sent to the Padley Centre in Derby for feeding the homeless and non-perishable goods donated will be sent to the Basics Bank run by Derby City Mission. A list of suggested items for the BASICS bank was provided.
Action: Jan to return the form to Pat Maddock with Sheila as contact. Anne, Sheila and Liz Lenton to coordinate the collection of donations and ideas for decorating.
Tom Freeland asked if the group still wanted to do the boardwalk. The response was affirmative for the work to be carried out in the New Year.
8. Minute Number 493/12/FPG – Public Rights of Way Reports
A meeting took place with Duncan Lovatt and Steve Cresswell on 21.8.2012 at 10am and minutes had already been circulated. Liz Froggatt congratulated everyone who attended the meeting in expressing their opinions. She said that thanks to Councillor Martyn Ford the project is now progressing as a result of further work after the meeting.
9. Minute Number 494/12/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
(i) Devise a management plan to protect orchids
Most of the bee orchids are on sites managed by the group and the timings of the mowing currently carried out protects them. However Hillside Playing Fields are owned by SDDC.
Action : Parish Council to be asked to write to SDDC requesting that particular part of the Playing Fields to only be mown in
(ii) Purchase of blackthorn for Cote Close (to be planted adjacent to A50 layby)
Heather has spoken to Martin Woodhouse re the donation of some well-established blackthorn saplings. He will contact us in November re planting.
(iii) Hedgehog Conservation Area in All Saints churchyard
Heather expressed concern about the management of the hedgehog conservation area in the corner of the churchyard. There was discussion as to whether to initially write to SDDC as part of the letter referred to in Minute Number 494/12/FPG point (i) above or contact the vicar.
Action : Heather to contact the vicar and let Liz Froggatt know if a letter needs to be sent from the Parish Council to SDDC.
10. Minute Number 495/12/FPG – Wildlife Database
(i) Barn Owl top of Commonpiece Lane 25.8.2012
(ii) Barn Owl on Porters Lane 2.9.2012
(iii) Sparrowhawk Rushymeadow Way everyday
(iv) Swallows and swifts congregating to leave everyday
11. Minute Number 496/12/FPG – Autumn Newsletter
Liz distributed draft copies for approval
12. Minute Number 497/12/FPG – Date of Next Meeting and Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Parish Rooms, Findern on 4th October 2012 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Frances (if available). (Jan offered to chair the meeting if Frances is unavailable.)
[ Go Back ]