The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Parish Rooms on Thursday3 January 2013 commencing at 7.00pm. The press and public are cordially invited to attend.
1. To receive apologies for absence
2. Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors)
3. To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 1 November 2012
4. Finance and fundraising
5. Communications and notifications
6. Project planning, 2013
• Santa Stroll, 13.12.12
• SD Environmental Forum, 6.11.12 at 7pm
• Elves Workshop, 25.11.12
• Jubilee Wood planting 24.11, 26.11.and 10.12.2012
8. Event planning
• Payback Team 20th anniversary celebration
• Fun on the Green, 20.2.2013
• Garage spring clean
9. Public rights of way reports
10. Wildlife site management
11. Wildlife database
12. Next meeting Thursday 3 February 2013- appointment of chair
Findern Parish Council
Clerk: Mrs Clare Orme
Findern Parish Rooms, Lower Green, Findern, Derbyshire DE65 6AD
Tel: 0771 9599132
Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 3rd January 2013 at the Parish Rooms, Findern commencing at 7 pm
Heather Hall (Chair), Joan Tidy, Wendy Hithersay, Liz Froggatt, Nev Froggatt, Frances Prockter, Anne Evans, Cllr Seymour Bell, Sheila Hughes, Liz Lenton, Jan Ashford and Steve Cresswell (Derbyshire County Council Countryside Officer) who is attending the meeting to report on the progress for improvements to FP1 Priory Way.
Heather began the meeting by welcoming Steve on behalf of the group.
1. Minute Number 520/13/FPG - To receive apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Mary Ross MBE JP and Janet Macdonald.
2. Minute Number 521/13/FPG - Declaration of members’ interests (Parish Councillors)
There were no declarations of members interests.
3. Minute Number 522/13/FPG – To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 1st November 2012
Minutes of the Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 1st November 2012 were circulated and the following noted:
Minute number 512/12/FPG Finance line one ended abruptly and should read
Joan stated that the reserve account had accrued 50p interest and that this account now stood at £5012.13p.
The above amendment having been made the minutes were approved as a true record.
At this point Steve was invited to address the meeting. He began by explaining what his role with the DCC Countryside Service entails. He explained that he is a Volunteer Project Officer and his role is to develop support for, and motivate volunteers, to work on DCC countryside sites.
Steve went on to report on the progress for improvements to Priory Way. He stated that 2 out of the 3 landowners had agreed to the replacement of stiles with wicket gates on their land and this work would be carried out by himself and group members some time in March and April. The third landowner had refused to replace stiles with wicket gates and had been served with notice to repair the stiles on his land to correct specifications.
Problems with the culvert at the Derby City end of the footpath were still being discussed.
With regards to the very wet area at the beginning of the walk Steve reported that he had been in contact with the landowner who had agreed to the installation of a single timber single span footbridge to cross the wet area. Steve stated he had received permission from DCC to spend £600 on said bridge and that it would be installed by his staff and volunteers, again in March or April. Steve has provided details of the bridge and a copy will be attached to these minutes.
Item 10 on the agenda – Public rights of way reports – is now brought forward in order to discuss this whilst Steve is still in the meeting.
Liz reports that she had received a call from Rob Greatorex, DCC, informing her that all the legal work for the diversion of the bridleway had now been completed and that work to complete the bridleway should be completed by the end of March. A discussion followed as to the best way to ensure that the horse riders using the bridleway along Crow Park Way to the A50 underpass kept to the road surface and did not ride on the grass banks on either side. It was generally agreed that wooden bollards placed in the middle of the 3’ wide grass strip should be sufficient to keep the horses off. Liz stated that as the land is leased from the Highways Agency she will contact them before any work is carried out.
At the end of the discussions on Public Rights of Way Steve left the meeting.
4. Minute Number 523/13/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
Joan stated that a statement for the current account had been received and the account balanced at £3281.36p
There had been no movement on the reserve account which still stands at £5012.13.
Liz stated she had secured £500 funding from Western Power for wildflower planting in the new Jubilee Wood in the autumn.
5. Minute Number 524/13/FPG – Communications and Notifications
i) E-mail received from Paul Smith, Derby University Conservation Group asking if his group could offer any assistance to us.
Heather agreed to liaise with Paul Smith regarding what sort of assistance i.e. practical or theoretical.
ii) E-mail received from Melbourne Footpaths Group saying they would like to visit Findern and suggesting Wednesday 24th April 2013 as a possible date.
Group members agreed and as Wednesday afternoon is tea and cakes at the Methodist Chapel Joan will e-mail Melbourne and suggest meeting on Lower Green at 2pm.
iii) E-mail received from Willington Parish Council asking if someone from our group would attend one of their meetings (dates given, first January 29th 2013 7pm) to advise them re setting up their own footpaths group.
Heather, Liz Froggatt and Wendy said they would like to attend and Heather will reply direct to the parish council.
iv) Liz states following discussions with the parish council there will be 4 issues of the Countryside News in 2013, in February, May, August and November. Details for inclusion in the newsletter must be received by the last day of January, April, July and October respectively in order that they can be approved at Footpaths Group and Parish Council meetings at the beginning of the months of issue.
v) Zoë Sewter stated that following the discovery of several sites of orchids in the village SDDC are keen to look at a mowing programme to be followed to protect these sites in the future.
Liz will bring this matter up with the Parish Council at their next meeting for their input.
vi) Liz reports that Cllr Lynette Nash has won a tree which she is giving to the group to plant on one of the wildlife sites.
vii) Liz states the parents of Lily Robinson liaised with Martin Woodhouse at Woodgrow re a suitable memorial tree and this has now been planted in Cote Close. Many thanks to Martin for his advice and assistance.
viii) Liz states she had registered our new Jubilee Wood on the Woodland Trusts website.
ix) Vic Wright has donated 2 bird boxes to the group for installation within the wildlife sites.
6. Minute Number 525/13/FPG – DARE Project
Anne stated she had contacted Clare to ask for contact details for someone in the DARE project but had received no reply.
Liz will add the request for details to the report for the Parish Council
7. Minute Number 526/13/FPG – Project Planning 2013
Liz Froggatt asked members what projects they would like funding for in 2013 and the following were agreed:
1) Andy Laxton had advised removing all the bluebells from Stanhope Wood as most were either foreign or hybrid so members suggested applying for £500 to buy replacement bluebells and also primroses and ramsons for planting in the autumn.
2) £100 to buy Hay Rattle for planting in Cardales Meadow.
3) £500 for buying wildflowers for planting in the new Jubilee Wood (funding already secured from Western Power see minutes number 523/13/FPG Fundraising).
4) £100 to complete the hedge off the causeway in Stanhope Wood.
5) Information board for the new Jubilee Wood.
6) Boards to be installed in Cote Close and Stanhope Wood to display details of species sighted each month.
8. Minute Number 527/13/FPG – Evaluations
Santa Stroll 13th December 2012
It was agreed that there had been some confusion as to the start time as some members had arrived earlier than the advertised time in order to change into Santa suits and set off earlier than 10 am. It was also agreed that the photo shoot at the marina went on far too long and as a consequence some of the children became very cold and distressed. Both these observations will be taken into account should we organise a similar event again.
Environmental Forum 6th November 2012
Heather, Anne and Liz Lenton attended this event which covered media surveys and the merits of using Facebook and Twitter.
Resolved: Liz Froggatt to contact Devmac re having Facebook and Twitter on the group website.
Elves Workshop 25th November 2012
All who attended agreed that the activities on offer were the best we’d ever done and that this was largely in part to the experience provided by Kate Allies staff.
Resolved: Jan to try to see Kate at Rosliston on Friday for more ideas for future events.
Jubilee Wood planting 24th and 26th November and 10th December 2012
Liz stated that the first two days went really well but that on the 10th December some members who had volunteered to attend didn’t turn up so we would have been short if other had not other members turned up unexpectedly. There is still the oak tree grown from an acorn from Sandringham to be planted and Liz will ask Stuart from the Canal and River Trust for advice on the best place to plant it.
Resolved: Members if you’ve volunteered for an event please turn up.
9. Minute Number 528/13/FPG – Event Planning
Payback Team 20th Anniversary
Liz states this is being planned in conjunction with Findern Parish Council.
Resolved: This item to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
Fun on the Green Wednesday 20th February 2013 from 1pm to 3pm
i) Alan Withington to be asked to make 2 Kestrel boxes for installation by group members and bee boxes for the children to take away with them.
Heather will liaise with Alan and ask Mary if she will sell the tickets for the bee boxes.
ii) Mini zoo to be booked.
Joan will contact the mini zoo.
iii) JTS Falcons to be booked to bring the owls.
Liz will contact JTS Falcons
iv) Heather authorised to purchase 12 clipboards for use by children doing the wildlife quiz.
v) Checklist completed for who is doing what on the day and will be forwarded to all group members.
Resolved: This event to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
Garage Spring Clean
This is to be discussed with parish council for their input but before the spring clean there are some tiles to be moved onto the bug hotels.
Resolved: Heather, Nev, Wendy and Liz Lenton agreed to meet on Thursday 10th January at 10 am to remove and resite said tiles.
Wild Derby Walk 2013
Joan stated that details of the walk had to be forwarded to Derby City Council by 11th January 2013 and asked if the group wanted to do a walk and when. Group members agreed that they would to the same walk as last year, i.e. the Findern Mercia Marina Circular walk on Wednesday 25th September 2013 starting at 1.30 pm
Resolved: Joan will complete the form and e-mail it to Wild Derby before the closing date.
10. Minute Number 529/13/FPG – Public Rights of Way reports
Discussed at the beginning of the meeting with Steve Cresswell.
11. Minute Number 530/13/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
i) Heather reported that the surface under the ‘A’ frames had become very slippery and she was concerned that someone could slip on them.
Resolved: Heather to ask Martin Woodhouse whether this was due to the wet weather and would improve when the weather did or whether remedial action was required.
ii) Heather asked whether now would be the time to order the Blackthorn for planting between Cote Close and the A50. Nev states we have sufficient Blackthorn but it was too early to plant it.
Resolved: This item to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
12. Minute Number 531/13/fpg – Wildlife Database
Sightings handed to Joan for updating onto the website and spreadsheet.
13. Minute Number 531/13/FPG – Date of Next Meeting and Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Parish Rooms, Findern on Thursday 7th February 2013 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Wendy Hithersay.