Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 7th February 2013 at the Parish Rooms, Findern commencing at 7 pm
Wendy Hithersay (Chair), Joan Tidy, Nev Froggatt, Liz Froggatt, Janet Macdonald, Heather Hall, Anne Evans, Cllr Seymour Bell, Sheila Hughes, Jan Ashford and Paul Smith BA (hons)
- Minute Number 532/13/FPG - To receive apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Mary Ross MBE JP, Frances Prockter and Liz Lenton.
- Minute Number 533/13/FPG - Declaration of members’ interests (Parish Councillors)
There were no declarations of members interests.
- Minute Number 534/13/FPG – To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 3rd January 2013
Minutes of the Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 3rd January 2013 were circulated and approved as a true record.
Wendy then welcomed Paul Smith BA (hons), MCMA, Project Co-ordinator University of Derby Conservation Society who had come to discuss whether the Conservation Society could offer any assistance in any of our events. Paul stated he was to sit throughout the meeting and discuss this at the appropriate stage of the meeting (Item 10)
At this point Findern resident Mr Paul Futcher entered and asked if he could address the meeting and give his account of the felling of a tree on Cardales Meadow on Saturday 2nd February 2013. He was invited to continue and stated that he had been asked by the Woodcocks, owners of the horse paddock adjacent to Cardales Meadow, to take down the tree which they said was on their land. When he was approached by Liz Froggatt on the Saturday and asked to stop he did so and left all the wood in situ. He states he has since received a letter from solicitors re his actions. He states he showed the letter to the Woodcocks who again told him the tree was on their land. He has spoken to the people he received the letter from and they are going to contact the Woodcocks to sort out this boundary issue. He apologised for taking the tree down but repeated he thought he was acting on behalf of the landowner.
His apology was accepted and he was thanked for taking the time to come to the meeting to explain his actions.
Mr Futcher then left the meeting.
- Minute Number 535/13/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
Joan stated that a statement for the current account had been received and the account balanced at £3182.92p
A statement had also been received for the reserve account which had accrued Interest of 52p and which now stands at £5012.65p.
Liz stated she had applied to:-
- The Midland Co-op for £2,300 to fund an information board for the new Jubilee Wood, and
- East Midlands Airport for £500 for wild flowers
Western Power have already awarded the group £500 for wild flowers for planting in the new Jubilee Wood.
- Minute Number 536/13/FPG – Communications and Notifications
Joan stated all the following e-mails had been received and forwarded to all members to comment if desired etc.:-
- Woodlands Trust January Newsletter
- Debbie Alston re support for Derbyshire Wildlife Trust’s water vole project.
- Debbie Alston thanking us for a copy of our wildlife sightings for 2012 and informing us that a new book ‘Mammals of Derbyshire’ is due out in late February.
- Emma Ruff with details of forthcoming events at Betty’s Farm.
These events have all been added to the calendar in the office.
- ‘Keep Britain Tidy’ re England’s Great Litter Count
- Helen Sykes from the BBC re their Summer of Wildlife pan-BBC season taking place between May and October 2013 and asking for details of any of our events likely to attract 500+ people.
- Community Action with their latest e-bulletin Reach Out 139.
- Carol Kirkham from Derbyshire Mind re ‘Enjoying Derby and Macmillan Cancer Support’ holding an event in Derby on 10th April 2013.
- Kate Allies Environmental Development Manager asking if we want to be included in the Summer Walks Programme.
Resolved: The group decided to participate and opted to do the Findern Circular Walk on 22nd August 2013 starting on The Green at 2pm. Joan will e-mail details through to Kate at Rosliston.
- Willington Parish Council thanked members for attending their last meeting and giving advice on how to set up their own Footpaths Group.
- Carol Kirkham at Derbyshire Mind with information about the Shipley Walk Programme.
- Entrust with details of Basic Training course at Nottingham on 28th February 2013.
- Reg Hesketh from Burton-in-Kendal in Cumbria who came across our website whilst looking for footpaths groups as he is trying to set up his own group in Cumbria. He congratulates us on our website and says he has taken the liberty of printing off some pages to show at the next committee meeting of the Burton Fellwalkers.
Resolved: Heather to write a reply thanking them for the compliment and wishing them success with their own footpaths group.
- Barry Thomas, Melbourne Footpaths Group, accepting our invitation to visit our sites on 24th April 2013.
Resolved: This item has been added to the calendar in the office.
Liz stated that:-
- The big mower is back having been serviced but the hand mower is beyond repair. Clare has been informed that the cost of a new hand mower is £359, but that a replacement is not needed while the Payback Team are helping us.
- The fliers for the Fun on The Green event have been printed and are ready for members to deliver.
- The distressing incident of the shooting of a cat in Crow Park Way has been reported to the police.
- With regard to the felling of the tree in Cardales Meadow recorded earlier Liz states having spoken to Mr Futcher on the Saturday she reported the incident to Clare on Monday morning and Clare advised her to inform Smiths Gore, the land agents for Highways Agency, as it is Highways Agency land which is leased by the Parish Council. Liz states she duly informed the land agents who said they would attend and carry out their twice yearly inspection. At their request Liz met the land agents representative and accompanied her to the site. The land agents confirmed that it is Highways Agency land and stated that they would be writing to Mr Futcher. The group unanimously approved the actions taken by Liz and Clare.
The land agent added that they were very impressed and pleased with the way we are managing their sites.
- Minute Number 537/13/FPG – DART Training
Anne Evans stated she had telephoned DART and spoken to Nicola who said she didn’t think they could be of any assistance at this time but she has our details and what we require and will contact us if they can help in the future.
- Minute Number 538/13/FPG – Reports from Meetings
4th February 2013 meeting with SDDC to discuss the ‘Life on the Verge’ Project
Nev, Liz, Joan and Heather along with Cllr Ann Hood and Cllr Lynette Nash met with Zoe at Swadlincote. Zoe provided maps of the village and a discussion followed as to which areas to begin the pilot project. It was decided to start with:-
- Grass verge both sides of Heath Lane between Heath Farm and the A50 Bridge
- All Saints Church yard
- Findern Cemetery
- King George V playing field
- Hillside playing field
- Commonpiece Lane
A report of the meeting has been forwarded to all members and will be attached to these minutes.
A site meeting with Zoe has been arranged for Tuesday 26th February 2013 meeting at 9 am on Lower Green.
Resolved: Nev, Jan and Liz said they will attend.
29th January 2013 meeting with Willington Parish Council
Liz, Wendy and Heather attended and thanks from Willington Parish Council have been passed on.
- Minute Number 539/13/FPG – Social Media and Website
Liz states she has not had chance yet to look into the merits of joining the Social Media network but she will do so soon. She states the website has been updated with new photographs.
- Minute Number 540/13/FPG – Countryside News
Liz handed round a hard copy of our side of the Newsletter for approval. It was noted that the date for October’s Fun on the Green event was wrong. Liz will amend this and forward the Newsletter to Clare and Justina. Once the Parish Council have approved the Newsletter it will go for printing.
- Minute Number 541/13/FPG – Event Planning
Payback Team 20th anniversary celebration
Still awaiting details from the Parish Council
Fun on the Green Wednesday 20th February 2013
Heather states she has contacted Alan Withington who hopes he can attend but this is not confirmed.
Joan states the deposit has been paid to the Mini Zoo and they have confirmed attendance.
Fliers ready to be delivered.
Andy is coming but will be on his own so may need assistance to load up and Elvaston in the morning and to unload at Elvaston after the event.
Heather has done the ‘touchy feely’ box.
Several craft activities were discussed and it was agreed to meet in the parish rooms on Tuesday 19th February at 10 am to get everything ready for the next day.
Garage spring clean
Due to the exceptionally cold weather, this item is to be added to the next agenda
Dawn Chorus Walk
Liz states Stuart has agreed to do another dawn chorus walk but hasn’t given us a date yet.
Bat Box Checks with Derby Bat Conservation Group
Steven Roe from the DBCG had proposed Saturday 6th April 2013 and Saturday 12th October 2013. Both dates were agreed and both events will meet at the Nadee at 10 am.
Resolved: Joan to e-mail Steven to confirm the dates.
Butterfly Transect April to September 2013
Ken Orpe has offered to help get us started and Joan explained that the site (Cardales Meadow) has to be checked every week (day to be decided dependant on the weather) from 1st April to 30th September. The best time to check is between 10am and 3pm and preferably in sunshine. It is possible that 4 residents of the village may like to be involved but we would need at least 6 members to volunteer.
Liz, Nev, Jan, Janet, Wendy, Heather, Sheila, Joan and Anne all wanted to be involved.
Resolved: Joan will contact the residents and confirm that they wish to be involved. She will also draw up a table to complete a rota for each month.
This item is to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
Planning meeting at Rosliston discuss SDDC Environment Forum meetings for 2013
Liz had a list of dates supplied by Kate and it was decided on Thursday 28th February 2013 am.
Nev and Heather volunteered to attend
University of Derby Conservation Society participation in events
Paul thanked the group for inviting him to the meeting and explained what tasks the students could undertake, how many students would be available and on what days. It was agreed that some of the work could be done with Steve Cresswell (DCC Countryside Officer) and Stuart Collins (Volunteer Coordinator Canal and River Trust).
Resolved: Heather and Liz to forward details of projects to Paul.
- Minute Number 542/13/FPG – Public Rights of Way Reports
Liz reported that resurfacing had been carried out to the part of Priory Way between Lower Green and Sycamore Avenue. This work was financed by the ROW dept.
- Minute Number 543/13/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
Wildlife Site path maintenance
- Liz report that whilst the land agent was on site she asked for permission to repair the path underneath the ‘A’ frames in Cote Close and Cardales Meadow which had become very slippery. Permission was given for the paths to be sprayed by a suitably trained and insured person and also for them to be topped. It was requested that this work take place in May.
Liz stated she had informed the Parish Council re the unacceptable amount of dog mess on our sites and particularly in Stanhope Hole Conservation Area. The Council have agreed that in the first instance we can put up a sign informing people that if the problem continues the site may be closed and/or dog exclusion orders sought.
- Minute Number 544/13/FPG – Wildlife Database
Liz and Nev handed their sightings for Joan to put onto the website and spreadsheet. Jan reported a Fieldfare in her garden and Heather reported seeing a Hare on Priory Way last Thursday.
- Minute Number 545/13/FPG – Date of Next Meeting and Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Parish Rooms, Findern on Thursday 7th March 2013 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Liz Froggatt.