Date of Meeting
|The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Parish Rooms on Thursday 7 March 2013 commencing at 7.00pm. The press and public are cordially invited to attend. |
1. To receive apologies for absence.
2. Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
3. To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 7 February 2013.
4. Finance and fundraising
5. Communications and notifications
6. Report from meetings
7. Countryside News and website
8. Evaluation of ‘Fun on the Green’, (20.2.13)
9. Event planning
11 Public rights of way reports
12 Wildlife site management
13 Wildlife database
14 Next meeting Thursday 4 April 2013- appointment of chair.
FINDERN PARISH COUNCIL
| || |
Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 7th March 2013 at the Parish Rooms, Findern commencing at 7 pm
Sheila Hughes (Chair), Joan Tidy, Janet Macdonald, Frances Prockter, Cllr Seymour Bell, Heather Hall, Wendy Hithersay, Anne Evans, Jan Ashford, Cllr Maurice Johnson.
Sheila began the meeting by welcoming new member Parish Councillor Maurice Johnson.
1. Minute Number 546/13/FPG - To receive apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Liz Froggatt, Nev Froggatt, Liz Lenton and Mary Ross MBE JP.
2. Minute Number 547/13/FPG - Declaration of members’ interests (Parish Councillors)
There were no Declarations of member’s interests.
3. Minute Number 548/13/FPG – To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 7th February 2013
Minutes of the Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 7th February 2013 were circulated and approved as a true record.
4. Minute Number 549/13/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
Joan stated that the current account stands at £3103.46p although the statement showed it standing at £3260.58p as some cheques issued had not yet been presented.
There had been no movement on the reserve account which still stands at £5012.65p.
i) Joan reported that she had received a letter from East Midlands Airport informing us that our application for funding has been successful and that we have been awarded £520 to purchase wildflowers to be planted in Stanhope Wood in 2013.
ii) Betty’s Farm Spring Family Day Saturday 30th March 2013. Unfortunately as this is Easter weekend there were not enough group members available to book a stall to fundraise at this event. However, it was noted that there are other events at Betty’s throughout the year and members have made a note of the dates.
Resolved: Joan to e-mail Betty’s and as future events approach an item will be added to the relevant agenda.
5. Minute Number 550/13/FPG – Communications and Notifications
i) All e-mails received on the group’s e-mail had been forwarded to all members – there were no matters raised.
ii) Heather stated she had received an e-mail from Paul Smith BA (hons), MCMA, Project Coordinator, University of Derby Conservation Society thanking us for inviting him to our last meeting. He asked if it would be possible for a group of students to visit us here in Findern so that we could give a small talk about what we do and perhaps follow this with a walk around our wildlife sites. It was suggested that this would probably have to be in term time so Heather will reply offering either Friday 19th or 26th of April in the afternoon.
Resolved: This item is to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
iii) (Through Sheila as Chair) Liz Froggatt reported that she had spoken to Clare re health and safety issues whilst members were working on wildlife sites and that from now on hi-vis vests are to be worn at all times. In addition to this Findern Parish Council have supplied us with portable yellow ‘A’ frames warning of people working on site and these are to be placed at each end of the work site.
6. Minute Number 551/13/FPG – Reports from Meetings
i) SDDC Life on the Verge Project site meeting 26th February 2013
Zoe and several group members walked round the sites and Zoe has completed a map of what areas should be mown and when. Following a discussion after the site visit it was decided to call the project ‘Findern Flower Power’.
ii) Planning SDDC Environmental Forum meetings for 2013
Nev and Heather met with Kate Allies at Rosliston to discuss ideas for the forum meetings. An e-mail has been received from Kate Allies and forwarded to all members.
iii) Butterfly Transect Training 7th March 2013
Group members and Findern residents Dave Tidy, Brian and Jean Hallam and Alan and Steven Roe met Ken and Pat Orpe from Butterfly Conservation. Ken gave a talk on what the transect entailed and offered advice on what equipment was needed and which publications offered the best means of identification. As a weekly transect is to be made between 1st April and 30th September each month’s rota will be completed at our monthly meeting and forwarded to all those taking part and Ken. As not all members have excel Joan will print off sufficient recording sheets and once completed the data will be transferred onto excel and forwarded to all those taking part and to Ken each week. As well as taking part in the transect itself Brian and Jean, who have taken part in transects before have offered to take a group of members out for a demonstration before 1st April. Following a discussion the group settled on Tuesday 26th March at 2 pm.
Resolved: Joan to contact Brian and Jean to ask if they can make Tuesday 26th March at 2 pm.
Resolved: Those present voted to authorise Joan to spend up to £70 on butterfly nets, identification cards, fold out charts and a book on Butterflies of Great Britain and Ireland.
7. Minute Number 552/13/FPG – Countryside News and Website
The Countryside News was now ready for delivery. (Through Sheila as Chair) Liz stated that the Countryside News was to be over two pages in future so as to avoid having to use too small print and she asked if members would like this to be in portrait or landscape page setup. The group decided on landscape.
8. Minute Number 553/13/FPG – Evaluation of ‘Fun on The Green’
Although the day started dull the visitors soon arrived in numbers and a good day was had by all. The shop took a magnificent £113.60, well done Wendy, and the mini zoo and the owls were as popular as ever. No bird or bee boxes were made this year, however, Wendy said her husband Dennis had a template of a kestrel box and said the materials to make 2 would cost £29. If the group authorised the expenditure he offered to make them for the next event.
Seymour stated the Methodist Chapel reported an excellent turnout for their afternoon tea and cakes.
Resolved: Those present agreed to the expenditure of £29 for Dennis to make the kestrel boxes.
9. Minute Number 554/13/FPG – Event Planning
i) Payback Team 20th Anniversary Celebration
Still awaiting contact from the Parish Council.
Resolved: This item is o be added to the next agenda.
ii) Garage Spring Clean
Date decided Wednesday 10th April 2013 at 10 am.
iii) Dawn Chorus Walk
Still awaiting a date from Stuart.
Resolved: This item is to be added to the next agenda.
iv) National Forest Walking Festival 2013
Joan stated the steering group meeting scheduled for 22nd February 2013 was cancelled as there was no need for one as everything was on schedule. She stated she had ordered 200 leaflets for distribution around the village but they had not yet arrived. She reminded members that our walk as part of the festival was on Tuesday 28th May 2013.
v) Bat Box check Saturday 6th April 2013
Members are to meet Alan and Steven Roe, Derby Bat Conservation Group, at the Nadee at 10 am.
10. Minute Number 555/13/FPG – Public Rights of Way Reports
i) Heather stated she had spoken to some people who were staying in the guest house on Main Street who had asked if there were any maps of walks around the village.
Resolved: Heather to see the owner of the guest house and supply some walks leaflets.
ii) (Through Sheila as Chair) Liz reported that the steps on Heath Lane to the Gostilles need some repair as does the bit of decking near the first stile. She asks if Dennis could tell us what we need to buy so the Payback Team will do the work.
Resolved: Wendy will ask Dennis what is needed and this item is to be added to the next agenda.
11. Minute Number 556/13/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
i) Liz reported that all the seats had been painted and all signs, information boards and the pond platform had been washed. The seat at the bottom of the causeway needs repair, could Dennis please tell us what is needed?
Resolved: Wendy will ask Dennis to have a look and this item is to be added to the next agenda.
ii) A Little Owl box has been erected in Cardales Meadow. Thanks extended to Nev and Ken Lenton.
iii) A Blackthorn hedge has been planted in Cote Close. Thanks extended to Nev and Heather.
iv) Heather states the ‘A’ frames need touching up and she is willing to do it if she can have authority to buy the paint.
Resolved; Heather authorised to buy metal paint for the ‘A’ frames.
v) Heather states the bench at Stanhope Hole needs repair.
vi) Heather states signs from Safer Neighbourhood re dog fouling have been put up.
12. Minute Number 557/13/FPG – Wildlife Database
Nev had handed his and Liz’s sightings to Joan prior to the meeting. No other sightings reported.
13. Minute Number 558/13/FPG – Date of Next Meeting and Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Parish Rooms, Findern on Thursday 4th April 2013 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Janet Macdonald.
[ Go Back ]