The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Parish Rooms on Thursday 2 May 2013 commencing at 7.00pm. The press and public are cordially invited to attend.
1. To receive apologies for absence.
2 Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
3 To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 4 April 2013.
4 Annual report, 2012/13
5 Finance and fundraising
6 Communications and notifications
7 Countryside News
8 Report from events attended
- Visit of Melbourne Footpaths Group, Wednesday 24.4.2013
- Bat box Survey with Derby Bat Conservation Group, 6.4.2013
- Visit of Derby University Conservation Group, 26.4.2013
9 Project planning
- Butterfly Transect Project
- Findern Village Map publication
10 Event planning
- Payback Team 20th anniversary celebration
- Dusk Chorus Walk, Saturday 11.5.2013
- Fun on the Green, Wednesday 30.10.2013
- Visit to Shipley Country Park, 15.5.2013
- Friends of Littleover Parks village fete, 29.6.2013
- Findern/Mercia Marina Circular Walk, 28.5.2013
- Betty’s Farm Open Day, 25.5.2013
11 Public rights of way reports
12 Wildlife site management
13 Wildlife database
14 Next meeting Thursday 6 June 2013- appointment of chair.
|Minutes: || |
Findern Parish Council
Clerk: Mrs Clare Orme
Findern Parish Rooms, Lower Green, Findern, Derbyshire DE65 6AD
Tel: 0771 9599132
Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 2nd May 2013 at the Parish Rooms, Findern commencing at 7 pm
Wendy Hithersay (Chair), Joan Tidy, Heather Hall, Cllr Maurice Johnson, Janet Macdonald, Sheila Hughes, Liz Lenton, Anne Evans, Cllr Seymour Bell, Jan Ashford and Cllr Rick Williamson.
1. Minute Number 571/13/FPG - To receive apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Mary Ross MBE JP, Frances Prockter, Liz Froggatt and Nev Froggatt.
2. Minute Number 572/13/FPG - Declaration of members’ interests (Parish Councillors)
There were no Declarations of member’s interests.
3. Minute Number 573/13/FPG – To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 4th April 2013
Minutes of the Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 4th April 2013 were circulated and approved as a true record.
At this point in the meeting Wendy welcomed Cllr Rick Williamson and invited him to address the meeting.
Cllr Williamson has been a head postmaster and having heard of an incident where a group member was bitten by a dog whilst pushing the parish newsletter through a letterbox offered to give a talk on the hazards which may be encountered and how best to avoid them. The main points were;-
i) If a dog is in the garden DO NOT go in, even if you know the dog.
ii) DO NOT put your hand or arm over the gate or fence to hand something over even if the owner is there to receive it as the dog may still go for you.
iii) DO NOT put your hand in the letter box. (As our newsletters are very flimsy it is suggested that something such as a wooden spoon or a ruler be taken to push the paper through the letter box.)
iv) If there is an obstruction, such as building materials etc., don’t deliver.
All those present welcomed his advice on both the obvious and the not so obvious hazards and will be more aware in future.
Cllr Williamson was thanked for his attendance and left the meeting at 7.20 pm.
4. Minute Number 574/13/FPG – Annual Report
Joan handed round copies of the group’s Annual Report compiled by Liz Froggatt for approval. Apart from a minor amendment re spelling all present approved the report and extended thanks to Liz for the work she has done in presenting it.
5. Minute Number 575/13/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
Joan stated she had received statements and balanced both accounts. The current account stands at £3198.63p and the reserve account at £5013.13p. She states she has received the cheque for £385 for minor maintenance but has been unable to pay it in as the books are with the parish clerk for audit.
Liz Froggatt left word that we have £1,000 to spend on wildflowers and asked if we should preorder them for the autumn. All agreed.
6. Minute Number 576/13/FPG – Communications and Notifications
All e-mails had been forwarded to all members for any comment.
i) E-mail from Steve Cresswell re a volunteer seminar to be held at Elvaston Castle on Saturday 13th July
Resolved: As a few members are absent this item is to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
7. Minute Number 577/13/FPG – Countryside News
Liz Froggatt had e-mailed the Countryside News to be put to the group for approval but unfortunately when printed it was illegible as part of it had overprinted.
8. Minute Number 578/13/FPG – Reports from Events Attended
i) Visit of Melbourne Footpaths Group 24th April 2013
Heather, Liz, Janet, Sheila and Wendy attended and showed the Melbourne Footpaths Group members around our sites. They were most impressed not only with what we have achieved on the wildlife sites but on the quality of the tea and cakes at the Methodist Chapel. A thank you e-mail has been received from Melbourne and forwarded to all members.
Heather will write a thank you card to the Chapel whose members stayed on to cater for our group.
ii) Bat Box Survey 6th April 2013
Unfortunately no bats were found this time but there are signs that bats have been visiting some of the boxes. A full list of what was found in each box has been forwarded to all members.
iii) Visit of Derby University Conservation Group 26th April 2013
Heather states that 4 students and Paul Smith attended from the university and Steve Cresswell also came along. The students will be helping to replace the stiles and build the new bridge on Priory Way. Steve needs to know how much stone is required and how it is to be delivered to the site. Heather has spoken to Mr Hicklin who has offered to meet them when the stone is delivered and help them get it to the site. They expect to start replacing the stiles in May and to start the bridge on Friday 7th June 2013.
Thanks to Anne and Liz Lenton for providing the tea and cakes in the parish rooms.
Resolved: Liz Froggatt to be asked how much stone is needed and the best way to get it to the site and the item is to be added to the next agenda.
9. Minute Number 579/13/FPG – Project Planning
i) Butterfly Transect
Joan states the transect has started slowly with the first 4 weeks showing only 4 sightings but the weather is warming up so we should start to see more. The rota has been completed up to week 13 (24th June).
Resolved: this item is to be added to the next agenda to complete the rota for July.
ii) Findern Village Map publication
Anne has compiled some useful information for putting on the other side of the map such as places to eat and what to do in Findern and asks if anyone has any ideas of anything else which could be included. It was suggested that Tony at Mercia Marina may have some more ideas and could also help with the printing.
Resolved: Heather and Anne will liaise with Tony at Mercia Marina
10. Minute Number 580/13/FPG – Event Planning
i) Payback team 20th Anniversary celebration
Maurice states Robert has not yet met with Liz so this is to be discussed at the next parish council meeting.
Resolved: this item is to be added to the next agenda
ii) Evening Chorus Walk Saturday 11th May 2013
Heather states she has spoken to Stuart who suggests eating at 6.30 pm and the actual walk to start at 8 pm. Heather is concerned that we may not have enough time to advertise the event and take bookings as it’s only a week away so wonders if we should just have group members. However, only 6 members present can attend so we may have to cancel the event.
iii) Fun on the Green Wednesday 30th October 2013
Joan states JTS Falcons have been booked and they will also be bringing the owl pellets for dissection.
Resolved: this item is to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
iv) Visit to Shipley Country Park Wednesday 15th May 2013
Liz states 15 seats have been sold so there is one seat left.
Maurice states the transport leaves Lower Green at 10 am and leaves Shipley for the return at 3 pm. Members can either take a packed lunch or eat at the café at the park.
All agreed we should wear our Footpaths Group red.
v) Friends of Littleover Park village fete Saturday 29th June 2013
Heather she e-mailed Nigel Staunton for more details and has received a reply. The event starts at 1pm until 5pm and costs £5 for a 3m stall. Heather, Wendy, Sheila and Janet are keen to attend and will take the display and shop.
Resolved: this item is to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
vi) Findern/Mercia Marina Circular Walk Tuesday 28th May 2013
Joan states she has sent off the risk assessment and has received the walk leader’s pack and some leaflets for distribution around the village and surrounding area. Joan, Maurice, Liz Lenton and Sheila will all do the walk.
vii) Betty’s Farm Open Day Saturday 25th May 2013
Heather and Maurice will be attending with the display. Heather will let Emma at Betty’s Farm know.
11. Minute Number 581/13/FPG – Public Rights of Way Reports
It is reported that the bridleway is finished apart from the removal of the ‘A’ frame and installation of the ‘horse hop’. Maurice states the ‘A’ frame should be removed as soon as possible as it is a hazard and concern was raised that motorcycles can get through in its present state.
12. Minute Number 582/13/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
i) Priory way as discussed earlier re visit of Derby University Conservation Group
ii) Heather states the lady from the library van has given her 2 bags of snowdrops and asks if she should plant them and if so where? Jan suggested along the towpath near the new Jubilee Wood and Liz Lenton volunteered to help Heather with the planting.
13. Minute Number 583/13/FPG – Wildlife Database
Wendy reported seeing a Kestrel in Cote Close. Heather saw a male pheasant with females on Priory Way and Seymour reported a Bumblebee, butterflies and a toad on Common Piece Lane.
14. Minute Number 584/13/FPG – Date of next meeting and Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Parish Rooms, Findern on Thursday 6th June 2013 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Anne Evans.