The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Parish Rooms on Thursday 5 September 2013 commencing at 7.00pm. The press and public are cordially invited to attend.
1. To receive apologies for absence.
2. Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
3. To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 1 August 2013.
4. Finance and fundraising
• Kissing gates
• Replacement mowers and strimmers
5. Communications and notifications
6. Countryside News & website
7. Evaluations of recent events
• Findern Historical Walk, 22.9.2013
• Meeting with Willington FG, 28.8.2013
• Visit to Tean Valley Nature reserve, 29.8.2013
8 Project planning
• Butterfly Transect Project
• Findern Village Map publication
• Information Board, Jubilee Wood
• Findern Flower Power Project, autumn wildflower planting.
• What have Trees Ever Done For Us? Debbie Alston
• I-spot training course.
• Forthcoming projects with Derby Uni.
9 Event planning
• Payback Team 20th anniversary
• Bridge/gate installation, 3& 16.9.2013
• South Derbyshire Environmental Forum, 24.9.2013
• Findern Mercia Marina Circular Walk, 25.9.2013
• Fun on the Green, Wednesday 30.10.2013
10 Public rights of way reports
• Priory Way improvements
• Repairs to the steps (The Gostilles)
• Installation of A-frame, Cote Close
• Mowing arrangements, Crow Park bridleway
11 Wildlife site management
• Memorial bench
• Wildlife site, All Saints Church
12 Wildlife database
13 Next meeting Thursday 3 October 2013- appointment of chair.
|Minutes: || |
Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 5th September 2013 at the Parish Rooms, Findern commencing at 7 pm
Anne Evans (Chair), Joan Tidy, Wendy Hithersay, Heather Hall, Liz Froggatt, Nev Froggatt, Cllr Maurice Johnson, Cllr Seymour Bell, Sheila Hughes, Liz Lenton, Janet Macdonald, Jan Ashford, Frances Prockter.
1. Minute Number 621/13/FPG - To receive apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Mary Ross MBE JP.
2. Minute Number 622/13/FPG - Declaration of members’ interests (Parish Councillors)
There were no declarations of member’s interests.
3. Minute Number 623/13/FPG – To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 1st August 2013
Minutes of the Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 1st August 2013 were circulated and approved as a true record.
4. Minute Number 624/13/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
Joan stated that the bank statement for the current account had been received and the accounts balanced.
The current account stands at £3,066.99p and the reserve account stands at £5,013.63p..
i) Kissing gates
Liz states she has done the paperwork for the application for funding for the kissing gates on Priory Way but she still needs letters of support from parishioners.
ii) Replacement mowers and strimmers
Liz states the strimmers and mowers used by the payback team are so old they are not up to the task and keep letting them down so she is applying for funding for us to have our own. She has received one quote for 6 mowers and 6 strimmers but will be obtaining more quotes to put before the group. Confirmation is to be sought that the Payback Team will be insured using this equipment.
5. Minute Number 625/13/FPG – Communications and Notifications
i) Email from Alan Bates re Environmental Forum Tasks Templates
Nev agreed to look into whether this would be of use to the group.
ii) Email from Jason Nichols re University of Derby Students Projects 2014
Nev is looking into possibly asking the students to devise a phone app and/or produce new walks leaflets for the group.
iii) Email from parishioner offering practical help
Joan replied with details of Priory Way improvements and will keep him informed of other work.
iv) Email from BBC re free leaflets
Joan to reply and ask for 100 to be delivered to Maurice.
v) Email re National Forest Walking Festival.
Joan states the email was from Sally Cope as Kevin Mason has left South Derbyshire. The steering group meeting scheduled for 4th October has been cancelled and no other date has yet been put forward. Next year’s festival will run from 17th to 29th May and the group will decide nearer the time whether to take part.
vi) Ash tree Crow Park Way
Liz states she sent Andy photos of the ash tree which appears distressed. Andy states he doesn’t think it is ash die back but he is organising an inspection of the tree for us, due to the large number of ash trees in Findern.
6. Minute Number 626/13/FPG – Countryside News and Website
Liz states that the parish council had agreed 4 dates by which time the Countryside News was to be completed and sent for publication. She states she had written our summer issue and had it was approved by the group prior to the agreed deadline of July 31st and forwarded it to Clare and Justina for publication. Due to the seasonal nature of the content and included dates, it is imperative this timetable is kept. She asked Seymour and Maurice to review this with the parish council.
7. Minute Number 627/13/FPG – Evaluations of Recent Events
i) Findern Historical Walk 22nd August 2013
Liz thanked Wendy and Jan who stepped in to assist Nev when Joan was unable to attend. 17 people attended to do the walk and a total of £28 in donations was raised.
ii) Meeting with Willington Footpaths Group 28th August 2013
Liz, Wendy and Heather met 7 very enthusiastic members of Willington Footpaths Group and offered advice on setting up their constitution and gave them contact details of people who could help at County Hall.
iii) Visit to Tean Valley Nature Reserve 29th August 2013
All agreed it had been a very pleasant evening and Heather stated she had sent a thank you note and an anniversary card to Alan and Sylvia. It was agreed to send a gift of 2 mugs with a group photo on them as a thank you and Liz stated she will deal with this in due course.
8. Minute Number 628/13/FPG – Project Planning
i) Butterfly Transect Project
The rota was completed to the end of September and will be forwarded to everyone by Joan.
ii) Findern Village Map Publication
Heather states she has not heard from Tony but knows he is busy with the Marina Open Weekend so she will contact him again after this event.
iii) Information Board Jubilee Wood
Liz had forwarded the first draft to all group members and professional partners including Andy Laxton. Liz stated that some of the logos were out of date and that she had supplied the current ones. It was agreed that there were several discrepancies in the pictures which did not represent woodland species so the following amendments were needed:
There were too many butterflies none of which were woodland species so it was agreed to replace them with one Speckled Wood.
The Crocus was to be replaced with a Wild Daffodil and the Yellowhammer was to be replaced by a Great Spotted Woodpecker.
It was also agreed that each species should be labelled and that our group logo should be inserted with the others.
iv) Findern Flower Power Project, autumn wildflower planting
Liz states she had received a visit from Andy and he had agreed that hay rattle should be planted on the sites to be sown with wildflowers. It was also stated that the council are still not mowing as per instructions and that another meeting with Zoe Souter was needed. Liz stated that 2 dates needed to be decided for wildflower planting in the autumn, one to be a weekday as the pre-school wanted to be there and another a Saturday as the Brownies wanted to help. The following dates were agreed:
Stanhope Wood Tuesday 15th October 2013 meeting 9.30 at Lower Green with the Pre-School and
Jubilee Wood Saturday 9th November 2013 meeting 9.30 at the Nadee with the Brownies.
Liz will contact the Pre-School and the Brownies with these dates.
v) What have trees ever done for us, Debbie Alston
Joan states she has not received a reply from Debbie so she will send another email.
vi) I-Spot training course
vii) Forthcoming Projects with Derby University
As discussed under Communications and Notifications Nev is looking into this project.
9. Minute Number 629/13/FPG – Event Planning
i) Payback Team 20th Anniversary Friday 27th September 2013
Joan showed the trophy to the group and stated she would show it to the Parish Council at their meeting next week.
Liz states she would like a member of the parish council to host the event as well as other members to attend.
Heather Wheeler will present the trophy to Richard and members of the payback team and Ann Hood will be presenting the certificates to team members.
The chapel is booked and will be open at 12 to set out the tables etc. Heather has made the cake and Ann Bagnall will be icing it. Heather is to ask Ann if she has a cake stand and a knife which she could bring. Members of the Methodist Chapel volunteered to make the refreshments to allow group members to circulate and ensure that all guests were looked after.
It was agreed that we should take our display stand and Janet and Wendy volunteered to collect it from the parish rooms on the day.
Liz Lenton and Sheila will take the tea and coffee and will also buy biscuits for those who don’t want cake and also provide serviettes.
Frances will place a cone out to reserve a space for Cllr Hood’s official car.
It was agreed to ask the following village committees to send to representatives to the event:
Village Hall, Brook Close Community Centre, Village Fete, All Saints Church, Findern School, Findern Pre-School, The Canal and River Trust and the Methodist Chapel.
ii) Bridge/gate installations Monday 16th September 2013
Heather extended thanks to all who helped install 2 gates on the 3rd September. The next 2 dates are 16th September and 22nd October.
Heather, Jan and Fay will meet at Bakeacre Stables at 9am on the 16th September.
Nev and Joan will attend on 22nd October.
Resolved: This item is to be added to subsequent agendas until the work is complete.
iii) South Derbyshire Environmental Forum Tuesday 24th September 2013
This event is from 12 noon to 4pm at Calke Abbey.
Jan, Janet, Liz Lenton, Heather, Nev and Liz Froggatt to meet at 11.15am at Lower Green to car share.
iv) Findern/Mercia Marina Circular Walk Wednesday 25th September 2013
This is part of the Wild Derby Project and members are to meet at 1.30 on The Green.
Liz Lenton, Janet, Sheila, Nev and Wendy volunteered to attend. Nev has the paperwork to complete.
v) Fun on The Green Wednesday 30th October 2013
Liz states she has booked the ‘face painter’ who will not charge the group but will charge the children £1 for half face and £3 for full face.
Liz states Frank Hood told her Derby University were keen to be involved and it was agreed to invite them along to do some sort of children’s activity.
Wendy states she has spoken to Bridget who was agreed to do the storytelling in the parish rooms.
Heather states she will bring along 2 stuffed badgers for display.
Resolved: This event is to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
10. Minute Number 630/13/FPG –Public Rights of Way Reports
i) Priory Way Improvements
As discussed earlier under Event Planning.
ii) Repairs to the steps, The Gostilles
Liz states there is still so much strimming and mowing to be done that this repair will be put on hold for now.
iii) Installation of ‘A’ frame Cote Close Bird Sanctuary
Again this work will be carried out when all the strimming and mowing is finished.
iv) Mowing Arrangements Crow Park Bridleway
Liz states she has expressed concern re the narrowness of parts of the bridleway and the possible hazard should a horse rider suddenly be confronted with a mower. She has spoken to Clare and it has been agreed that the bridleway should be closed for the few minutes that the mowing takes place.
11. Minute Number 631/13/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
i) Memorial Bench
Liz sates delivery is imminent and an email will be sent to the parish room’s computer when a date and time is known. Joan states when she has the delivery details she will ring round to get able bodies to help get the bench off the lorry and into the back of the parish rooms.
ii) Wildlife Site All Saints Churchyard
Liz reports that Pat has told her the conifer is due to be felled very soon and is to be sawn into logs to be used as a demarcation line for the wildlife area. It was agreed that the hedgehog box needs to be re-sited as soon as possible. Jan states that the church would like some sort of information board informing people of the purpose of the site and she will ask the committee what sort of board to determine whether we need to obtain funding or whether we can do it ourselves.
12. Minute Number 632/13/FPG – Wildlife Database
Joan reported that 2 Kingfishers were seen along the canal on 2nd September.
13. Minute Number 633/13/FPG – Date of Next Meeting and Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Parish Rooms, Findern on Thursday 3rd October 2013 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Anne Evans.