Date of Meeting
| || |
Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 3rd October 2013 at the Parish Rooms, Findern commencing at 7 pm
Anne Evans (Chair), Joan Tidy, Heather Hall, Cllr Maurice Johnson, Sheila Hughes, Liz Froggatt, Nev Froggatt, Wendy Hithersay, Frances Prockter and Janet Macdonald.
1. Minute Number 634/13/FPG - To receive apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Mary Ross MBE JP and Jan Ashford.
2. Minute Number 635/13/FPG - Declaration of members’ interests (Parish Councillors)
There were no Declarations of member’s interests.
3. Minute Number 636/13/FPG – To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 5th September 2013
Minutes of the Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 5th September 2013 were circulated and the following noted: Minute Number 629/13 item v) Fun on The Green. Heather clarified that it is a stuffed badger she is bringing to the event, not a badger suit. This amendment having been made the minutes were approved as a true record.
4. Minute Number 637/13/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
Joan stated that bank statements had been received and the accounts balanced. The current account stands at £2895.82p and the reserve account at £5013.63p.
Liz states that the minor maintenance grant of £365 has already been spent with 2 months left to go and she has forwarded all the paperwork to Clare.
Liz asked Maurice to ask Clare for the £500 the Parish Council awards us for the Fun on The Green event to cover expenses.
i) Liz stated she had spoken to Steve Cresswell and Duncan Lovatt and they have advised her to hold off fund raising for the kissing gates for Priory Way for the moment. as they are hoping that the farmer will accept the clapper gates. Delete this bit.
ii) Liz stated that the Pre-School want to organise a Santa Stroll this year and had asked if we, as a group, would be interested in accompanying them. Agreed.
5. Minute Number 638/13/FPG – Communications and Notifications
i) Letter from Cllr Seymour Bell announcing his retirement from the group with immediate effect.
ii) Email from Nick Moyes, Derbyshire Biodiversity Projects Officer re the OPAL Tree Health Survey.
iii) Email from NHBS re a new publication ‘Britain’s Day Flying Moths’.
iv) Email from ‘Visit Peak District and Derbyshire’ re their Peak District Visitor Guide.
v) Email from Eric Clayton, South Derbyshire CVS, re 2 local funding events.
vi) Email from the Woodland Trust informing us we had been awarded a free tree pack and that this would be delivered between 4th and 8th November.
vii) Email received from Derby University informing us that our projects had been added to their web page: www.derby.ac.uk/community/projects/wildvolunteering-2014.
6. Minute Number 639/13/FPG – Countryside News and Website
Liz states the next issue of Countryside News must be written by 31st October for approval at our November meeting. She asked Maurice to clarify with the Parish Council that this was the case and that theirs would also be ready.
Liz states the website has been updated with new seasonal images. It was suggested that now was the time for us to be looking at joining ‘Facebook’ and ‘Twitter’ but it was agreed to wait until the new year and ask Devmac to come out to explain how to go about this.
7. Minute Number 640/13/FPG – Evaluations of Recent Events
i) Findern Historical Walk 25th September 2013
This walk is part of the ‘Wild Derby 2013’ project and 10 members of the public joined group members for the walk to the Marina. Some didn’t realise what we had here and were very impressed, so much so that they have been back to the village for another visit.
ii) SDDC Environmental Forum 24th September
Everyone enjoyed a day out at Calke Abbey having a go at hedge cutting and path laying. All agreed they had learnt how to use tools more safely and it was suggested that we should buy some plastic safety glasses for ourselves when working on our sites. Nev agreed to look into where we could get them from and at what cost.
Resolved: This item is to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
iii) Payback Team 20th Anniversary Event 27th September
Liz stated that this celebratory event went very well and Richard was very pleased to accept the trophy. A thank you card has been received from Ann and thanks also received from the Pre-School. Heather was thanked for making an excellent cake and in turn thanked us for the plant given to her in appreciation. Frances thanked Liz on behalf of the group for initiating and organising this event.
8. Minute Number 641/13/FPG – Review of Walks Programme and Leaflet Circulation
We have received notification from two establishments re their walks programmes for 2014:-
The National Forest Walking Festival which runs from 17th – 29th May 2014 and the Derby City Walks and Activities 2014 programme. It was decided it was in the group’s interest to continue leading these walks as they do bring more people into the village. It was agreed to do the Findern/Mercia Marina Circular Walk on:-
Wednesday 28th May 2014 from 1.30pm to 4.30pm as part of the National Forest Walking Festival and
Wednesday 24th September 2014 from 1.30pm to 4.30pm for the Derby City Council.
Resolved: Joan will submit the necessary forms and these events will be added to the 2014 calendar.
9. Minute Number 642/13/FPG – Project Planning
i) Findern Village Map Publication
Tony has left the Marina so Heather will contact them to see if the work he has done is still on their system.
ii) Information Board Jubilee Wood
Liz states all the alterations have gone to the Co-op and we are awaiting their second draft.
iii) What have trees ever done for us, Debbie Alston
Debbie had emailed suggesting Saturday 18th January 2014 but since most members can’t make that day Joan will reply to Debbie suggesting Saturday 25th January 2014.
iv) I-spot Training Course
Debbie had suggested either 7th or 9th October but again there aren’t enough members available to attend either date and as October is very busy it was suggesting asking Debbie if we could arrange it for early November.
Resolved: Joan will reply to Debbie with the suggested dates and this item is to be added to the next agenda.
10. Minute Number 643/13/FPG – Event Planning
i) Bat box check - Saturday 12th October 2013
Meet Alan and Steven at 10am at the Nadee. Heather, Joan and Frances will be attending.
ii) Wildflower Planting Stanhope Wood - Wednesday 16th October 2013
Wendy states Naturescape will be delivering the flowers on Friday 11th October and these will be put at the back of the parish rooms and divided appropriately for the two planting dates. Liz states the Pre-School are bringing 4 children to help and will be on Lower Green at 9.30am for us to walk down together. Nev will take the plants and the coffee down on the mower, members were asked to bring flasks filled with hot water. Liz will bring milk and cups.
Janet, Heather, Sheila, Wendy, Liz, Nev, Frances, and Maurice will all be attending.
iii) Bridge/gate Installation - Tuesday 22nd October 2013
Liz will ring Mr Parnell asking how he would like the equipment to be taken down to the site. Nev, Joan and Janet will be attending, meet at Lower Green at 9am.
iv) SDDC Environmental Forum - Tuesday 29th October 2013
Joan, Liz, Nev, Frances, Anne, Janet, Maurice and Sheila all want to attend. Nev and Frances offered to bring their cars, members to meet on Lower Green at 6.30pm.
v) Fun on The Green Wednesday - 30th October 2013
Liz completed a checklist of who is doing what etc. and this will be forwarded to all members and a copy will be attached to these minutes. Members meet on The Green at 10 am to erect the gazebos and get everything ready for 1pm.
vi) Christmas Events
i) All Saints Church Festival 7th – 11th December
Members agreed to take part and will be decorating a tree for the church.
ii) Pre-School Santa Stroll
No date available as yet.
Resolved: This event is to be added to the next agenda.
11. Minute Number 644/13/FPG – Public Rights of Way Reports
i) Priory Way Improvements
Heather states Steve has asked if we could clip around the stiles before the 22nd when the stiles will be replaced with clapper gates. She states she is willing if anyone else would like to help.
Wendy and Janet will meet Heather on Lower Green at 9.30 on Thursday 10th October 2013 with shears.
ii) Repairs to the steps (The Gostilles)
Liz states this is on hold at present as there is still so much work to be done elsewhere.
iii) Installation of ‘A’ frame, Cote Close
Liz states this is also on hold as the payback team have so much to do on our other sites.
12. Minute Number 645/13/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
i) Wildlife Site All Saints Churchyard
Liz states we’re still waiting to hear from the church.
13. Minute Number 646/13/FPG – Wildlife Database
Joan reports that Brian sent in a few bird sightings on 1st October including a Kingfisher which was seen perched by the canal side west of the treatment works for several minutes before a canal boat disturbed it.
Wendy reported seeing a Field Vole in her garden on Sunday 29th September.
14. Minute Number 647/13/FPG = Date of Next Meeting and Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Parish Rooms, Findern on Thursday 7th November 2013 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by
[ Go Back ]