Date of Meeting
The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Parish Rooms on Thursday 7 Nov 2013 commencing at 7.00pm. The press and public are cordially invited to attend.
1. To receive apologies for absence.
2. Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
3. To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 3 October 2013.
4. Finance and fundraising
5. Communications and notifications
6. Parish Rooms security review.
7. Countryside News & website
8. Evaluations of recent events
• Batbox check, 12.10.2013
• Bridge/gate installation, 22.10.2013
• SDDC Environmental Forum, 29.10.2013
• Fun on the Green, Wednesday 30.10.2013
9 Project planning
• Findern Village Map publication
• Information Board, Jubilee Wood
• Hedge planting
• Wildflower Planting 9.11.2013
10 Event planning
• Christmas events
• What have Trees Ever Done For Us? Debbie Alston
• I-spot training course
• Environmental Forum LBAP 30th November 2013
11 Public rights of way reports
• Priory Way improvements, gate installation 22.10.2013
• Repairs to the steps (The Gostilles)
• Installation of A-frame, Cote Close
12 Wildlife site management
• Wildlife site, All Saints Church
13 Wildlife database
14 Next meeting Thursday January 2 2014- appointment of chair.
| || |
Clerk: Mrs Clare Orme
Findern Parish Rooms, Lower Green, Findern, Derbyshire DE65 6AD
Tel: 0771 9599132
Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 7th November 2013 at the Parish Rooms, Findern commencing at 7 pm
Anne Evans (Chair), Joan Tidy, Wendy Hithersay, Heather Hall, Sheila Hughes, Cllr Maurice Johnson, Janet Macdonald, Liz Froggatt, Nev Froggatt and Frances Prockter.
1. Minute Number 648/13/FPG - To receive apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Mary Ross MBE JP, Jan Ashford and Liz Lenton.
2. Minute Number 649/13/FPG - Declaration of members’ interests (Parish Councillors)
There were no declarations of member’s interests.
3. Minute Number 650/13/FPG – To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 3rd October 2013
Minutes of the Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 3rd October 2013 were circulated and approved as a true record. Liz thanked Joan for a superb job throughout 2013.
4. Minute Number 651/13/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
Joan stated that bank statements had been received and the accounts balanced. Since then cheques have been made out for Fun on the Green exhibitors and monies made on the day have been paid in so the current account now stands at £3166.05p. The reserve account accrued 52p interest at the end of September and now stands at £5014.15p.
Liz states that Galaxy Hot Chocolate are offering grants of £300 for a project and she asked if anyone had any ideas. Suggestions made were for more wetland plants for Crow Park Way wet area, a bird hide and feeders, more bat boxes, a telescopic ladder and a hand pulled trolley. It was agreed to apply for more bat and bird boxes and a telescopic ladder. It was also agreed to submit the already completed application for a Greenwatch Action Grant for disease resistant elm trees to attract the White Letter Hairstreak Butterfly. It was agreed to talk more about the bird hide and feeders under 2014 project planning in January as this would cost considerably more than £300.
Resolved: Liz stated she would go ahead with the applications. Heather stated she would look into prices for hand pulled trolleys. This item is to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
5. Minute Number 652/13/FPG – Communications and Notifications
i) Email received from Steven Roe re Bat Box checks forwarded to all members.
ii) Mercia Marina newsletter received by email and forwarded to all members.
iii) Email received from Nick Moyes re Lowland Derbyshire Biodiversity Forum and forwarded to all members, this is to be discussed under ‘Event Planning’.
iv) Second email received from Derby City Council re their 2014 events programme. Joan will submit walk details.
v) MP Heather Wheeler’s Newsletter received via email and forwarded to all members.
vi) Mercia Marina forum notes received by email and forwarded to all members.
vii) RSPB Derby emailed thanking us for having them at ‘Fun on The Green’ and saying they look forward to coming to the next event in February 2014.
viii) Invitation to Canal and River Trust Christmas party received by email. Nev, Liz, Janet, Heather, Frances and Wendy all wish to attend. Heather agreed to liaise with the Trust direct.
ix) Liz stated she had been in contact with Emma Bird, Graduate Environmental Scientist at the Canal and River Trust and money has been found to proceed with some of the improvements which had previously been shelved due to lack of funds. The installation of coir to fill in the wash holes will go ahead and should be completed during the next financial year. Emma is now looking for further funding for resurfacing the woodland path, signage and barbecue stands. Liz added that Stuart Collins is leaving his current post to become an Ecology Officer still within the Trust. His last day as volunteer coordinator will be on 14th December with is the date of the Trust’s Christmas party.
x) Liz states she has been contacted by SDDC who are keen to have local groups running events in their areas to commemorate 100 years since the outbreak of World War I. One suggestion is a walk around Findern outlining the effect WWI had on the village and how it has changed over the 100 years.
Resolved: This item is to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
xi) Liz states she has been contacted by the owner of Potlocks Farm who would like to meet with her to discuss something he would like to do for the group.
xii) Liz states she is not sure when the payback team will be coming in December so can she have all donations to their Christmas Goodies by the end of November.
6. Minute Number 653/13/FPG – Parish Rooms Security Review
After the recent burglary Liz, Cllr Maurice Johnson, Cllr Seymour Bell and Cllr Martin Woodhouse had a site meeting to discuss recommendations made by the Crime Prevention Officer. Liz thanks Maurice, Seymour and Martin for their assistance and states all recommendations made by the CPO will be put before the Parish Council at their next meeting.
7. Minute Number 654/13/FPG – Countryside News and Website
Heather stated she had looked at our website and was very impressed. Liz asked members to keep checking the website to ensure that the information on it is correct and up to date.
Liz stated our edition of the Countryside News has been completed by the agreed date of 31st October but she wasn’t sure how the Parish Council were progressing with theirs. She stresses the importance of our edition going out on time as otherwise the content will be out of date.
8. Minute Number 655/13/FPG – Evaluations of Recent Events
i) Bat Box check Saturday 12th October 2013
Report received from Steve via email and forwarded to all members and photos published on the group’s website. The report shows that Myotis, Natterer, Daubenton and Pipistrelle bats have all visited Findern and that 74% of the boxes have been visited. All agree these are very encouraging results.
ii) Bridge/Gate installation Tuesday 22nd October 2013
The gate installation was cancelled because of the weather and will now be undertaken on Tuesday 19th November 2013. Nev, Joan and Dave will be meeting Steve at the Parish Rooms at 08.45am. Although the work was cancelled the site meeting went ahead. Present were Liz Froggatt, Steve Cresswell (DCC), Duncan Lovatt (DCC) and landowner Mr Michael Parnell. Mr Parnell asked that the top of one wicket gate should be level with the fencing either side, a minimum height of 4ft, to prevent his cows from jumping over it and this was agreed. He also asked if it was possible for a boggy area to be boarded. DCC agreed to provide the materials and the group will do the work. Mr Parnell also said walkers had trouble seeing the route of the path and asked if the tops of gates could be painted yellow. Duncan agreed and stated he will provide the paint for group members to paint on the gates, however, those on the concessionary path must be painted white. He suggested white masonry paint to be supplied by ourselves would be suitable. Heather states she has some white paint she is happy to donate for this purpose.
Following a request from Mr Parnell, the group are happy to supply him with 2 laminated signs worded as follows, ‘Anyone not wishing to walk through the farmyard may use the concessionary path’ No group logo to be used. This is to be taken along on the 19 November.
Further discussion between Liz, Steve and Duncan re the stiles on Mr Bull’s land. Duncan stated he may be able to fund the supply and fitting of 3 kissing gates if the Parish Council can fund the other 3. Maurice is to liaise with the Parish Council.
iii) SDDC Environmental Forum Tuesday 29th October 2013
• Whistlewood Community Orchard, Melbourne
Members were very impressed with what had been achieved at Melbourne especially the funding of the apple press to enable them to make their own cider. Hopefully, they will be successful in self-funding the project as intended.
Members were very impressed with this website which allows people to download their photographs and receive expert advice on identification. It was agreed to have a meeting in the New Year where members can bring their lap tops and photographs and have a go.
• Recruiting and retaining new members
Maurice stated most of the suggestions put forward were what we do anyway although it was agreed that we don’t do enough evaluation of our own projects/events. It was suggest that we should start giving out evaluation forms and Maurice stated he would have a go a devising one. Joan stated she would dig out one from another group to give Maurice an idea of how to proceed.
iv) Fun on the Green Wednesday 30th October 2013
Anne and Frank made a sterling effort at the shop and raised £45.75p and a total of £9.20p was given in donations, these amounts have been paid into the current account. Heather suggested that for the next event we should draw up a plan of who is going where on The Green to avoid confusion when setting up. All agreed but stated it should be flexible enough to be amended should the weather change. During discussion it was agreed to ask the Mini Zoo to attend the February event. Joan states she has already emailed Peter to ask if he could do pole lathing instead of willow weaving and how much it would cost. Debbie Alston has confirmed that she will be attending.
Resolved: Joan is to contact the Mini Zoo.
9. Minute Number 656/13/FPG – Project Planning
i) Findern Village Map Publication
Heather states she contacted Robert at the Marina and has been given Tony’s phone number, however, she has been unable to contact him. Liz states she will try to contact him via his personal email. It is not known if Tony’s replacement at the Marina would carry on with this project for us.
ii) Information Board, Jubilee Wood
The updated version had been emailed to everyone and the following noted: the American Woodpecker is to be replaced with a native Woodpecker and the butterflies are to be replaced with Speckled Wood Butterflies. Once these amendments have been made Liz has been authorised to order the board to be made.
iii) Hedge Planting
Liz states the trees from the Woodland Trust are on their way and that there are some to be collected from Rosliston. All that is needed now is a date for them to be planted. Date decided Tuesday 3rd December 2013, meet on Lower Green at 9.30 am.
Resolved: Maurice will bring hot water for drinks, Heather will bring the drinks box and milk, Liz will bring the cups. Nev, Frances, Janet and Joan will be there to drink the tea!
iv) Trent and Mersey Canal Improvement Project
This item previously discussed under minute number 652 Communications and Notifications.
10. Minute Number 657/13/FPG – Event Planning
i) Christmas Events
1) All Saints Church Christmas Festival
Liz states the Church will be open on Thursday 5th December am to erect displays. It’s a Victorian theme this year and Liz suggests a winter wood scene complete with trees, a cottage, snow and carol singers
Resolved: Nev will provide the trees, Frances the fleece, house with candle and pipe cleaners, Anne will get the spray snow. Sheila and Wendy will join them in the Church at 9.30am on the 5th December.
2) Pre-School Santa Walk
Liz states the date given by the pre-school is Friday 6th December 2013 at 9.30 am.
Resolved: Not enough members free on that date so Liz will try for another date and email members.
ii) Winter Walk, What have trees ever done for us? Debbie Alston Saturday 25th January 2014
Debbie has confirmed the date. Liz suggests selling tickets at £3 each. All agreed.
Resolved: This item is to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
iii) I-Spot training course
Already discussed under Evaluations of recent events.
iv) Wildflower Planting Saturday 9th November 2013
Members are reminded to display the ‘Working on towpath’ cards in their windscreens when parking at Nadee.
Heather, Sheila, Bob, Janet, Nev and Liz attending. Frances will also be there but will be late.
v) Environmental Forum LBAP Saturday 30th November 2013 all day
Frances, Nev, Liz and Joan all attending. Frances said she will take her car.
11. Minute Number 658/13/FPG – Public Rights of Way Reports
i) Priory Way Improvements, gate installation 22nd October 2013
Work cancelled due to the weather, will now take place on Tuesday 19th November 2013.
ii) Repairs to the steps The Gostilles
Liz states she hopes to be able to get Richard and the payback team to do the work sometime this month.
iii) Installation of ‘A’ frame Cote Close
Liz states this has been installed by the payback team.
12. Minute Number 659/13/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
i) Wildlife Site All Saints Churchyard
Heather states the area for the site has been marked out, however, a chestnut tree is to be planted shortly so she suggests we wait until after the planting before re locating the hedgehog house. All agreed.
13. Minute Number 660/13/FPG – Wildlife Database
Liz handed hers and Nev’s sightings to Joan for updating.
14. Minute Number 661/13/FPG – Date of Next Meeting and Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Parish Rooms, Findern on Thursday 2nd January 2014 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Anne Evans.
[ Go Back ]