Date of Meeting
The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Parish Rooms on Thursday 2 January 2014 commencing at 7.00pm. The press and public are cordially invited to attend.
1. To receive apologies for absence.
2. Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
3. To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 7 November 2013.
4. Finance and fundraising
5. Communications and notifications
6. Event evaluation sheets for approval.
7. Evaluations of recent events and projects
• Santa Stroll, 3.12.2013
• All Saints Church Christmas Tree Festival, 7-11.12.2013
• C&RT Christmas Party, 14.12.2013
• LDBP Forum, 30.11.2013
• Flower Power project.
8 Project planning 2014
• Findern Village Map publication
• Social media (Facebook).
• Trent and Mersey Canal Improvement Project, meeting with Emma Bird C&RT 20.11.2013.
• Other ideas.
9 Event planning
• What have Trees Ever Done For Us? Debbie Alston, 25.1.2014
• Fun On the Green, 19.2.2014
• Commemorative event WW1.
• I-spot workshop.
10 Public rights of way reports
• Priory Way improvements.
• Repairs to the steps (The Gostilles)
• Replacement of sign denoting wildlife sites.
11 Wildlife site management
• Wildlife site, All Saints Church
12 Wildlife database
13 Next meeting Thursday February 6 2014.
FINDERN PARISH COUNCIL
Clerk, Findern Parish Rooms, Lower Green, Findern, Derby. DE65 6AD
Tel: 01283 702732 email@example.com
| || |
Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 2nd January 2014 at the Parish Rooms, Findern commencing at 7 pm
Anne Evans (Chair), Joan Tidy, Heather Hall, Cllr Maurice Johnson, Janet Macdonald, Nev Froggatt, Liz Froggatt, Sheila Hughes, Liz Lenton, Frances Prockter and Jan Ashford.
1. Minute Number 662/14/FPG - To receive apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Mary Ross MBE JP and Wendy Hithersay.
2. Minute Number 663/14/FPG - Declarations of Members’ Interests (Parish Councillors)
There were no declarations of member’s interests.
3. Minute Number 664/14/FPG – To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on 7th November 2013
Minutes of the Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 7th November 2013 were circulated and approved as a true record.
4. Minute Number 665/14/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
Joan stated a statement had been received for the current account and the account balanced, this account now stands at £2510.14p. The reserve account is unchanged at £5014.15p.
Joan stated that she had received notification from Derbyshire County Council that they had paid £365 into our bank account (funding for the White Letter Hairstreak butterfly project) but this hadn’t yet appeared on the statement.
5. Minute Number 666/14/FPG – Communications and Notifications
i) Email received from Steven Roe proposing dates for the twice yearly bat box checks. Dates proposed are Saturday 5th April 2014 and Saturday 11th October 2014. No objections.
ii) Email received from Steven Roe in response to an item in November’s minutes re our considering buying a telescopic ladder. He advises against using this type of ladder to check bat and bird boxes in trees as they would not be suitable. Following a brief discussion it was agreed to look into buying a hinged or extending ladder instead. During this discussion Heather asked whether we were still intending to buy a hand pulled trolley. It was agreed that as we have the ride on mower and trailer this would not be needed at this time.
iii) Email received from Willington Parish Council re a course on the History and Mystery of Public Rights of Way to be held at Derbyshire Eco Centre. Heather expressed an interest and was given a copy of the email and the course details.
iv) Email received from Nick Moyes reporting evaluations after the Annual Biodiversity Forum held on 30th November at Matlock.
v) Liz reported that the security of our wildlife sites is currently under review with the police.
vi) Liz reported that contractors employed by the Canal and River Trust to cut some trees back may have dropped a branch onto the bench at the end of the causeway and broken same and that they may have also knocked over a bridleway sign in the same location. Liz had asked the Payback team to remove the bench as it was rotten and recement the bridleway sign into position and these tasks have both been completed. A quantity of tree branches left at the scene have been wired up by Nev and left in situ as a wildlife habitat.
vii) Liz stated that she had given the payback team their “Christmas goodies” just before Christmas and thanked members for their donations. She went on to explain why we don’t have the payback team every week and why we don’t know in advance when they will be coming to us. All agreed that the work they do on our behalf is invaluable and is appreciated by all.
viii) Liz passed round an article from the Derby Telegraph reporting that one of the tasks being undertaken by Derby University students is the creation of a mobile phone app for Findern Footpaths Group.
ix) Liz reported that she had contacted Heather Wheeler MP re the possible privatisation of the Payback Team and whether or not they will still do free work for the voluntary sector. She states she has received a reply from Mrs Wheeler who had been informed by the Parliamentary Under Secretary of State that there would still be a role for the Payback Team in the voluntary sector.
x) Liz reported that Christmas cards for the group had been received from:- Richard at the Payback Team, Cllr and Mr Frank Hood, Findern Pre School, Findern School, Rosliston Forestry Centre, Heather Wheeler MP and the Old Forge Nursery
xi) Liz thanked Joan and Dave for all their hard work in getting the group’s computer up and running again after the recent breakdown.
6. Minute Number 667/14/FPG – Evaluation Sheets for Approval
Maurice handed round a draft evaluation sheet and asked members to let him know their comments. The form was approved for use.
7. Minute Number 668/14/FPG – Evaluation of Recent Events and Projects
i) Santa Stroll 3rd December 2013
All attending said the event went really well and they were very appreciative of the hospitality given out by Mercia Marina who had erected a marquee and supplied tea and coffee. The event had also been reported in the local paper accompanied by a very nice photo of the strollers.
ii) All Saints Church Christmas Tree Festival
Well done to all members who worked on our display which was very well received. The trees will be removed from the Church on 4th January 2014.
iii) Canal and River Trust Christmas Party 14th December 2013
All those attending said they had a very enjoyable time and were presented with a mug to commemorate 100 hours voluntary work which will be placed in the cabinet in the parish rooms. They were able to say goodbye to Stuart and hello to his replacement Barry.
iv) LBDP Forum 30th November 2013
Everyone who attended said they had a good day and found the workshops very interesting. Frances said she was surprised she knew so much about butterflies. Liz stated she didn’t realise how helpful DWT were when it comes to planning applications. Liz suggested emailing Tim Birch and asking him to visit us at Findern and see out sites.
Resolved: Heather will email and invite Tim to visit us here.
v) Findern Flower Power Project
It was agreed that there are still some issues to sort out re the mowing etc. and that it would be an idea to see Zoe again to re-evaluate things.
Resolved: Joan is to email Zoe to arrange a meeting for some time in February either on site or at District.
8. Minute Number 669/14/FPG – Project Planning 2014
i) Findern Village Map Publication
Heather stated that this has stalled at the moment as Tony had left the Marina and taken the drafts with him.
Resolved: Heather and Anne are to arrange a meeting with Josh, Tony’s replacement, to get things started again.
ii) Social Media
Liz reports that she and Maurice are to visit Kate at Rosliston on 22nd January with a view to creating a facebook page.
iii) Trent and Mersey Canal Project
Liz had written a report and forwarded it to all members. This report will be attached to these minutes.
iv) Findern Primary School Ground Improvements
Liz reported that she had met with the new head, Mrs Titchener, who wants to create wildlife habitats within the school grounds. Liz has spoken to Steve Cresswell who is keen to be involved and a meeting will be held at the school on 21st January 2014 and will be attended by Liz, Mrs Titchener, Steve Cresswell and some parents of children at the school.
v) Other ideas
Liz advised members of projects being considered so far and asked if anyone had any other ideas. Nev stated we still had 2 kestrel boxes to put up and suggested we could look into creating the ponds in Cardales Meadow. He stated some contractors stored their machinery at Mr Barkers and offered to liaise with them about cost etc.
Resolved: Nev will liaise with the contractors and report back at a later meeting.
9. Minute Number 670/14/FPG –Event Planning
i) ‘What have trees ever done for us?’ walk Saturday 25th January 2014
Posters handed to members for display and each member given 2 tickets to sell. Maximum number is 25. Tickets are £3 and will include refreshments in the parish rooms at the end of the walk. Heather, Janet, Liz Froggatt, Liz Lenton, Sheila, Frances, Nev and Joan will be doing the walk and Anne will do the refreshments.
ii) Fun on The Green Wednesday 19th February 2014
Liz asks authority to buy some books full of activities for children which should cost about £30 in total and authority was given. Activities/demonstrations booked so far include: Peter Wood from Greenwood Days lathe turning, the mini zoo, face painting, splat the rat, Debbie Alston, RSPB, DWT. It was suggested for a group of members to meet to discuss new craft activities. Liz Froggatt, Liz Lenton, Sheila and Janet will meeting in the parish rooms on Wednesday 8th January 2014 at 9.30 and bring ideas to the next meeting.
Resolved: This item is to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
iii) Event to commemorate the centenary of the outbreak of World War 1
During a discussion some ideas were put forward such as a history walk around the village and planting a display of poppies on the approach to the village. It was agreed that it would be a good idea to liaise with Findern Historical Society with a view to holding a joint event.
Resolved: This item is to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
iv) I-spot workshop
It was agreed to wait until the spring to hold the workshop and in the meantime members are to take some photographs to send in for identification.
10. Minute Number 671/14/FPG –Public Rights of Way Reports
i) Liz stated she had received complaints from Mr Cotton and Mr Barker that horses are being ridden over their fields. They have also ridden on our wildflower banks on 2 occasions. It appears they are coming from West Farm Stables at Stenson. Liz states she has informed Clare who will be writing to the stables.
ii) Liz states the Payback Team have repaired the steps at The Gostilles, repaired the boardwalk and the stile, replaced two finger posts and also cleared foliage from the ramps at the King George V playing field.
11. Minute Number 672/14/FPG –Wildlife Site Management
Nothing new to report on the wildlife site at All Saints church as we are still waiting for the tree to be planted.
12. Minute Number 673/14/FPG –Wildlife Database
Heather reported seeing a Green Woodpecker at 11am on 31st December on Crow Park Way and a Kingfisher near the Severn Trent Treatment Works. Nev stated he saw a Great Spotted Woodpecker in a Sycamore Tree in Sycamore Avenue today and Anne reported several Wagtails in her garden. Maurice stated about 2 weeks ago he saw 2 adult foxes with 3 cubs in Brook Close.
Joan advised members that she would put all the latest sightings on the spreadsheet and forward it to members to check before she sends it out to other agencies.
13. Minute Number 674/14/FPG – Date of Next Meeting and Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Parish Rooms, Findern on Thursday 6th February 2014 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Anne Evans.
[ Go Back ]