Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 3rd April 2014 at the Parish Rooms, Findern commencing at 7 pm
Anne Evans (Chair), Joan Tidy, Wendy Hithersay, Liz Lenton, Cllr Maurice Johnson, Sheila Hughes, Frances Prockter, Nev Froggatt and Liz Froggatt.
1. Minute Number 702/14/FPG - To receive apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Mary Ross MBE JP, Jan Ashford, Heather Hall and Janet Macdonald.
2. Minute Number 703/14/FPG - Declaration of members’ interests (Parish Councillors)
There were no declarations of members’ interests.
3. Minute Number 704/14/FPG – To confirm the minutes of the meeting on 6th March 2014
Minutes of the Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 6th March 2014 were circulated and approved as a true record.
4. Minute Number 705/14/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
Joan states that the Reserve Account remains unchanged at £5014.65p. A statement had been received for the current account and the account balanced standing at £3329.84p. She added that as it’s the end of the financial year the books would be going to the parish clerk for auditing. Group members thanked Joan for work as treasurer throughout the year.
Liz states that Emma Bird at the Canal and River Trust has applied for a grant of £1,000 from Toyota for improvements along the towpath.
5. Minute Number 706/14/FPG – Communications and Notifications
i) Tim Birch – visit to Findern
No dates received yet so item is to be added to the next agenda
ii) Health and Safety Policy/CRT Insurance
Liz states she has received advice from Martin and will have a go at writing a Health and Safety Policy. She has emailed Tom Freeland at the Canal and River Trust twice for clarification of their policy but has received no reply as yet.
iii) Findern Primary School Grounds Project
Maurice states his insurance company (Advantage Mutual Foundation) awards community grants to schools and has applied on the school’s behalf. Liz states the next meeting is on Monday 28th April at 1.30 pm.
iv) Derby University Go Volunteer Project Support
Nev and Heather have arranged to meet Emma on Monday 14th April to show her around our sites and discuss what the options are to move this project forward.
v) Radio Derby Promotion
Wendy states she has not heard anything from the organisers and that the indoor programmes are coming to an end as they move outside for the summer months. However if the weather is bad they may continue with the indoor programme and details should be out next week.
vi) Countryside News
Liz states our content was approved at our last meeting but there has been a delay with the parish council’s and issues with the layout of the publication, however, it is hoped it will be ready for delivery next week.
Liz detailed arrangements for the safe keeping of keys and that when she goes away her keys will be left with Maurice.
viii) Payback team refreshments
Liz states Richard had been keeping the payback team tea, coffee etc. in the garage but they now have a labelled box which is to be kept in the kitchen cupboard.
ix) Wildlife Sites leased from Highways Agency
Liz states she has contacted Clare to see if the parish council could declare Cote Close Bird Sanctuary and Cardales Wildflower Meadow ‘community assets’ under the ‘Localism Act’. This would be beneficial should the Highways Agency want to dispose of the land in the future.
6. Minute Number 707/14/FPG – Community Payback Team, service monitoring
Liz states since the last meeting the Payback Team have painted all the seats on our wildlife sites, washed the pond platform at Stanhope Hole Pond, cut the hedge by the meadow and done a litter pick along the towpath.
7. Minute Number 708/14/FPG – Reports from Events attended
i) SDDC Environmental Forum, 11th March 2014
Heather and Jan attended this event and as they are not present this is to be added to the next agenda.
ii) Flower Power Project Meeting, 12th March 2014
Group members referred to the report of the meeting which had been circulated by email. Liz states the Cultivation Licence has been applied for regarding a bed of land adjacent to Mr Hicklin’s farm on Heath Lane.
Liz is to ask the payback team to clear a bed on old Heath Lane adjacent to King George V playing field for the sowing of seeds and she has been authorised to purchase poppy seeds from Naturescape.
Regarding the sowing of a wildflower bed in Brook Close Maurice is still waiting for permission from the housing society.
8. Minute Number 709/14/FPG – Project Planning
i) Findern Village Map Project
Anne states there is nothing new to report at this stage.
ii) WW1 Commemoration
It was agreed to sow poppy seeds on the area adjacent to the King George V playing field (discussed under minute number 708/14 item ii) Findern Flower Power Project.
9. Minute Number 710/14/FPG – Event Planning
i) Butterfly Transect, April to September 2014
The rota was filled in up to 19th May and will be circulated to all members.
Resolved: This item is to be added to the next agenda to fill in the rota for May/June.
ii) Bat Box Check, Saturday 5th April 2014
Members are to meet at the Nadee at 10am. Heather and Joan will be attending.
iii) Dawn Chorus Walk, Saturday 3rd May 2014
Meet on Lower Green at 5am.
The maximum number for this event is 20 so booking is essential. Joan states she will do the posters, take bookings and buy the food. As the food must be bought on Friday morning Joan asks that members let her have their money by Thursday afternoon. Joan, Anne, Heather and Liz Lenton will be at the Methodist Chapel at 2pm on Friday 2nd May to set out the tables and Maurice will provide the table cloths. Members attending the walk: Joan, Heather, Janet, Liz Lenton, Sheila, Frances (+1). The lady who is cooking the food (Pat) requires 2 rashers of bacon, 2 sausages and 1 bap per person. She also needs 1 catering size tin of baked beans, 6 eggs, ketchup, brown sauce and tea coffee milk and sugar. It was also agreed to buy flowers for Pat.
iv) Fun on the Green/I Spot workshop
Members are to meet at the parish rooms on Monday 14th April 2014 at 7pm with their laptops. Liz states she will liaise with Clare re use of the parish rooms.
v) Kissing Gate Installation
Steve Cresswell had emailed dates he is available. There were not enough members free in June so it was agreed to do the work on Tuesday 6th and Friday 9th May. Joan, Dave and Heather will be attending. Once the dates are confirmed with Steve contact will be made with Mr Bull to confirm he agrees to the gates and to arrange access.
Resolved: This item is to be added to the next agenda to confirm arrangements.
vi) Visit to Shipley Country Park
Members agreed on Monday 23rd June 2014 for the visit.
Resolved: This event is to be added to the next agenda to discuss transport arrangements.
vii) Fun on the Green, Wednesday 29th October 2014
Liz confirms that Andy is coming to our next Fun on The Green and members were unanimous in expressing their gratitude to Derbyshire Countryside Service for their continuing support of this event which could not be held without them.
Liz states Louise Valentine DWT is hoping to bring a fire pit and cook marshmallows etc. for the children.
Georgina Greaves and/or her colleague Ingrid Reeves will be den making with the children.
The following are also to be invited to attend:-
Peter Wood from Greenwood Days to demonstrate pole lathing )
JTS Falcons to bring the owls )
Fun Faces Painting ) Joan will email all
Most of the activities are free but some such as the pole lathing and the owls have to be paid for so Liz asked Maurice to ask the Parish Council if they would consider contributing £500 towards this event.
Resolved: This item is to be added to all future agendas for progress reports.
10. Minute Number 711/14/FPG – Public Rights of Way Reports
Liz requested that she is notified if anyone does any ROW work, this is to be included on the Minor Maintenance Form.
11. Minute Number 712/14/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
Wendy commented on how well the daffodils have spread in Stanhope Hole Conservation Area.
12. Minute Number 713/14/FPG – Wildlife Database
Liz handed her and Nev’s sightings to Joan for updating on the spreadsheet.
13. Minute Number 714/14/FPG – Date of Next Meeting and Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Parish Rooms, Findern on Thursday 1st May 2014 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Anne Evans.