Date of Meeting
The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Parish Rooms on Thursday 3 July 2014 commencing at 7.00pm. The press and public are cordially invited to attend.
Findern Parish Council
Clerk: Mrs Clare Orme
Findern Parish Rooms, Lower Green, Findern, Derbyshire DE65 6AD
Tel: 0771 9599132
Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 3rd July 2014 at the Parish Rooms, Findern commencing at 7 pm
Present: Anne Evans, Jan Ashford, Wendy Hithersay, Frances Prockter, Nev Froggatt, Heather Hall, Cllr Maurice Johnson, Liz Lenton, Sheila Hughes and Liz Froggatt.
1. Minute Number 744/14/FPG - To receive apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Joan Tidy, Janet Macdonald and Mary Ross MBE.
2. Minute Number 745/14/FPG - Declaration of members’ interests (Parish Councillors)
There were no Declarations of members’ interests.
3. Minute Number 746/14/FPG – To confirm the minutes of the meeting on
Minutes of the Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 5th June 2014 were circulated and approved as a true record.
4. Minute Number 747/14/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
No report .
The sum of £147.90 was raised at the Village Fete. This comprised £26.90 from the shop, £68 from the Tombola and £53 from Pick-a-Pen.
Maurice mentioned that at next year’s Fete it is intended to only have one tombola and a discussion took place as to how the group could run a similar type of activity (eg using two packs of cards).
Members were asked to collect items suitable for a children’s tombola. It was also discussed whether Fun on the Green would be a suitable event to hold a tombola and a discussion took place with some members feeling that this was an event which is free for participants.
Action : to make decision at October meeting.
5. Minute Number 748/14/FPG – Communications and Notifications
i) Liz Froggatt reported that Joan had informed Mr Ball that we are all volunteers and as such cannot always maintain areas. He has replied acknowledging this and offering to help. Liz has invited him to attend a meeting.
ii) Tim Birch (Derbyshire Wildlife Trust)
Heather has tried to contact him without success..
iii) Findern Primary School Grounds Project
The school won first place in a competition for funding of the project. No further action has taken place but there may be a meeting towards the end of term.
6. Minute Number 749/14/FPG – Community Payback Team Service Monitoring
The team have carried out mowing in the wildlife areas at the end of Commonpiece Lane. They are carrying out further work on 19th and 26th July 2014. Maurice will meet them on 19th July and Liz Froggatt on 26th July.
7. Minute Number 750/14/FPG – Reports from Events Attended
i) SDDC Environmental Forum 5.6.2014
Jan and Stephan attended and had a very enjoyable and informative walk around the marina with other members of the forum looking at the planting and wild life areas.
ii) Findern Fete 21.6.2014
See Minute 747/14/FPG - Fundraising
iii) Visit to Shipley Park 23.6.2014
Seven members took part in this visit and had a very enjoyable day. The main purpose was to look at the orchids and learn more about how to manage the environment in order to encourage them to flourish.
iv) Meeting with C&RT 1.7.2014
Five members met with Barry Keight, Volunteer Officer, and showed him projects the group is involved with and those we hope to carry out along the towpath. Unfortunately Balsam Bashing couldn’t take place due to the height and depth of the nettles. Barry suggested that the nettles and Balsam could be controlled using slashers (similar to scythes) and that the resulting debris can be left in situ to rot down. A four foot width needs to be cleared to enable the path to be accessible. He is looking into the possibility of providing funding for four slashers.
He suggested edging the paths near Ballast Hole Pond with dead hedges or woven hazel using materials which are already there as a result of trimming trees etc.
Signposting at Hicklins Bridge was also discussed as wasthe installation ofcoir bank replacement and barbecue stands.
8. Minute Number 751/14/FPG – Project Planning
i) Walks Leaflets Project with Mercia Marina
Mercia Marina are funding Katapult to produce three walks leaflets which start at finish at the Marina. Including one walk which takes in Swarkestone. Liz Froggatt and Joan have provided information to help with this project. The group is now awaiting Dawn from Katapult to send draft copies of the leaflets.
ii) Walk Leaflet Project with Emma from Derby University
Draft copies of Emma’s leaflet for the Canal Heritage Walk had been circulated to the group and others for comment. Liz Froggatt has forwarded all these comments on to her. Leaflets for four of our walks are being produced and the printing costs will be £420 for 8000 copies(ie 2000 copies of each).
iii) Flower Power Brook Close, Heath Lane, King George V, Aults Close/Wren Park Close
The 1914-1918 beds on Heath Lane and by George V Playing Field have been seeded with poppies but there is sparse growth of poppies at the present time. These beds will be kept for poppies for the next four years and is not self-seeded from flowering poppies will be reseeded each year.
There is a further bed seeded with poppies on Brook Close and this will be resown in the Autumn.
A discussion took place as to how to manage the area of grass between Gorsty Leys and Cloverslade (behind Aults Close and Wren Park Close). It was suggested taht daffodils and shrubs would be a possibility.
Action : Liz Froggatt will put a map and further information in the next Parish Newsletter.
9. Minute Number 752/14/FPG – Feedback media, Parish Newsletter, Facebook, website
Justina Nurse had resigned from the Parish Council so it is unclear who from the Parish Council will collate the next newsletter with Liz Froggatt. The deadline for this is 30th August 2014.
Anne suggested that an article be included in the newsletter to encourage people to volunteer to assist with projects. This led to the suggestion of holding an Open evening as a social event for people interested in environmental matters within the village. It was also suggested that this could be put on the group’s Facebook page.
Action : to be put on the next meeting’s agenda
10. Minute Number 753/14/FPG – Event Planning
The need for group members involved in activities to remember to use sun cream, wear sunhats and take water with them, Wendy is investigating possibly purchasing some red caps for use by the group.
i) Butterfly Transcept
See updated plan attached.
ii) Kissing Gate Installation
Heather and Frances have cleared the considerable growth around the areas where kissing gates re to replace the stiles. The kissing gates are to be installed on Monday 7th July meeting at 9.30am at the Parish Rooms. Steve Cresswell is leading the work but has expressed concerns that his work commitments may mean that he is only able to assist with installation of three of the six kissing gates which would mean that contractors required for the remaining three. It is unclear who to fund this.
iii) Fun on the Green Wednesday 29th October 2014 (school library service)
The School Library Service has resources which it can loan out to schools and voluntary groups such as Findern Footpaths Group. There is a charge so it has been suggested by the service that we view what they have to offer before joining.
Action : to be put on the next meeting’s agenda
iv) SDDC Environmental Forum 23.7.2014
Frances, Heather, Sheila, Liz Lenton and Anne expressed an interest in attending
v) Willington Carnival
It was agreed not to attend Willington Carnival this year.
11. Minute Number 754/14/FPG – Public Rights of Way Report
i) Construction of a ramp Crow Park Way
The previous owner of this land has recently died and at present it is unclear who the new landowner is so it is not possible to progress. However the solicitor (Mr Potter) dealing with the estate has informed Liz Froggatt that Findern Footpaths Group can continue to work on the areas they manage as in previous years.
Maurice will ask the Parish Council to put signage in place at the top of the steep ramp/steps to indicate that it is possible to access Stanhope Wood via the top flat path.
ii) Priory Way Repairs
It was highlighted that there are a number of repairs required on Priory Way.
Action : to be put on next meeting’s agenda
12. Minute Number 755/14/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
i) All Saints Wild life Area
It is anticipated that the replacement tree will be planted by the council in the Autumn. However the site is currently overrun by nettles and ‘goosegrass’ and it is unclear who is responsible for managing this area –All Saints or Findern Footpaths Group. It was agreed that we should hold a site meettingwith the church to establish what they want there and who will manage it.
Action : some members of the group to view the area after the meeting
ii) Management Plans for Wild life Areas
Following the discussions about the growth of nettles on some of the footpaths this year it was suggested that it would be helpful to have Management Plans in place for our wildlife sites. Liz Froggatt offered to put these together.
Action : to be put on next meeting’s agenda
13. Minute Number 756/14/FPG – Wildlife Database
Heather reported several sightings which will be added to the database.
14. Minute Number 757/14/FPG – Date of Next Meeting and Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Parish Rooms, Findern on Thursday 7th August commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Anne Evans.
[ Go Back ]