Date of Meeting
The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Parish Rooms on Thursday 7 August 2014 commencing at 7.00pm. The press and public are cordially invited to attend.
1. To receive apologies for absence.
2. Declaration of member’s interests (Parish Councillors).
3. To confirm the minutes of the meeting held on Thursday 3 July 2014.
4. Finance and fundraising
5. Communications and notifications
• Digital map survey
6 Community Payback Team service monitoring
7 Reports from events attended
• SDDC Environmental Forum, 23.7.2014
• Reception hosted by High Sheriff, 6.7.2014
8 Project planning
• Autumn planting programme.
• Walks leaflets in conjunction with Meercia Marina & Derby University
9 Feedback media, Parish Newsletter, Facebook, website.
10 Event planning
• Butterfly Transcept
• Fun on the Green, Wednesday 29th October 2014,( school library service).
11 Public rights of way reports
12 Wildlife site management
13 Wildlife database, (please bring your sightings sheets).
14 Next meeting Thursday September 4 2014.
Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 7th August 2014 at the Parish Rooms, Findern commencing at 7 pm
Anne Evans (Chair), Joan Tidy, Wendy Hithersay, Heather Hall, Liz Froggatt, Nev Froggatt, Cllr Maurice Johnson, Sheila Hughes, Liz Lenton, Janet Macdonald, Cllr Suzi Brook and Richard Brook.
1. Minute Number 758/14/FPG - To receive apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Jan Ashford, Mary Ross MBE JP and Frances Prockter.
2. Minute Number 759/14/FPG - Declaration of members’ interests (Parish Councillors)
There were no Declarations of members’ interests.
3. Minute Number 760/14/FPG – To confirm the minutes of the meeting on 3rd July 2014
Minutes of the Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 3rd July 2014 were circulated and approved as a true record.
4. Minute Number 761/14/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
Joan stated statements for both accounts had been received and the accounts balanced. The current account stands at £3,592.72p and the reserve account at £5,015.65p.
i) Liz states she has applied for a Greenwatch Action Grant of £480 to cover the cost of printing the new ‘Canal Heritage Walk’ leaflets.
ii) Liz stated the application for funding from Toyota for some improvements to the towpath has failed. She proposes to talk to Emma at the Canal and River Trust to see if funding for all the improvements required can be obtained from one source such as the National Lottery. Richard suggested ‘Funding Central’ could also be approached for funding.
iii) Liz states the Nationwide Building Society will also be offering funding to certain groups so she will make sure it has our details.
5. Minute Number 762/14/FPG – Communications and Notifications
i) Liz states she has arranged a meeting with Pat from All Saints Church Committee to discuss the wildlife site in the churchyard. The meeting is on 3rd September. Jan will also be attending.
ii) Liz states she has received an email from the Derbyshire Wildlife Trust re an afternoon of workshops on their ‘Bring out the wild child’ project which focuses on children enjoying the outdoors. This is on 4th September 2014 from 1pm-5pm at the University of Derby.
iii) Email received from a PhD candidate at the University of Sheffield who is looking at Digital maps and related technology as it affects the Peak District National Park. As this is out of our area Joan will reply declining the group taking part.
6. Minute Number 763/14/FPG – Community Payback Team Service Monitoring
Liz reported that the payback team came out twice last month and carried out work on the towpath as well as strimming the wildlife banks. Altogether a total of 78 hours of unpaid work was carried out for and on behalf of the community.
7. Minute Number 764/14/FPG – Reports from Events Attended
i) SDDC Environmental Forum, 23rd July 2014
Sheila reports that she and Frances spent an enjoyable afternoon at Rosliston during which she learned about the identification of trees and Frances learned about the identification of birds. A general discussion followed re ideas for our Fun on the Green events.
ii) Reception hosted by High Sheriff of Derbyshire, 6th July 2014
Liz states she attended and met the High Sheriff, David Coleman QPM, and was pleased to find that he knew all about the group and the work we have done and continue to do. He is aiming to walk all around the borders of the county and hopes that group members will join him when he walks nearby. Full details of the route and dates will be forwarded in due course.
iii) Planned Strategic Rail Hub at Etwall
Maurice states he and Suzi will be attending a meeting called by Repton Parish Council and asks if anyone wants any matters raised to let him know. Heather states when she attended an earlier meeting re this proposed site she was dismayed to find that there was no ecology officer present.
8. Minute Number 765/14/FPG – Project Planning
i) Autumn Planting Programme
Liz states we have the money for plants and asks members what they would like planting and where. Permission has been granted to plant shrubs at the back of Aults Close and it was agreed that planting bare rooted shrubs would be best and that perhaps we could plant more daffodils and snowdrops. Nev stated more primroses could be planted in Stanhope Wood and wild daffodils and ramsons could be planted in the new Jubilee Wood. Primroses were also to be purchased to go in Brook Close. Liz was authorised to spend £400 and will be assisted by Wendy.
ii) Walks leaflets in conjunction with Mercia Marina And Derby University
Liz reports that Emma is still working on the new design for our ‘Canal Heritage Walk’ leaflet. Details of 2 of the walks for the Mercia Marina have been submitted and the 3rd will be sent shortly.
9. Minute Number 766/14/FPG – Feedback Media, Parish Newsletter, Facebook, Website
Liz reports that she and Suzi will be doing the next newsletter and that she has almost finished the ‘countryside news’ which will be circulated for approval at the next meeting. Suzi states the parish council should approve the newsletter at their meeting on 11th September and it will then go to the printers so we should have copies to deliver a few days after that.
10. Minute Number 767/14/FPG – Event Planning
i) Butterfly Transect
Rota completed up to the 8th September, the final 3 weeks will be covered at the next meeting.
ii) Fun on The Green, Wednesday 29th October 2014 (School Library Service)
Heather and Liz will be making an appointment to visit the School Library Service to see what exhibits we can borrow for our Fun on the Green events and whether it is worth paying the £20pa joining fee.
11. Minute Number 768/14/FPG – Public Rights of Way Reports
i) Priory Way
Heather reports that 3 new kissing gates have been installed and waymarking is in place. However because of a collapsed post one of the other gates has been sealed up by the landowner to prevent his livestock getting out. This is now causing an obstruction and it is difficult to see where the path goes. Heather states she will email Steve Cresswell for 3 new posts with yellow tops, one gate post and some more waymarking discs. Liz states she has received a quote from T H Heath Contractors for £270 plus VAT to install the 3 remaining kissing gates and that they can carry out the work at the end of September. Joan will email them to get a definite date then Heather will liaise with the landowner to arrange for access. If funding from other sources fails the group is prepared to pay for the installation out of our own funds.
ii) Sign re Wheelchair/Pushchair access Cote Close Bird Sanctuary
Maurice states permission has been given to place a sign directing people to the disabled access. The wording for the sign should be along the lines of ‘Permissive footpath for wheelchairs and pushchairs’.
12. Minute Number 769/14/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
There was a general discussion about the ‘management plan’ which had been circulated to all members. It was agreed that times could not be exact and that maintenance had to be carried out either earlier or later as climate and weather conditions dictated.
Heather states she has been asked by a resident of Hillside whether the playing field on Hillside will be mown soon. Joan will email Zoe at SDDC to enquire.
13. Minute Number 770/14/FPG – Wildlife Database (please bring your sighting sheets)
Liz and Nev handed their sightings to Joan and Suzi reported seeing a Heron in the field at the back of Brook Close last week.
14. Minute Number 771/14/FPG – Date of Next meeting and Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Parish Rooms, Findern on Thursday 4th September 2014 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Anne Evans.
[ Go Back ]