Heather Hall, (Chair), Joan Tidy, Liz Lenton, Janet Macdonald, Sheila Hughes, Cllr Brian Goodall and Graham White.
Joan stated that Jan had informed her that she would be at the meeting but will be late as she has been working at the Bakewell Show. Jan arrived at 7.30.
At the start of the meeting Heather welcomed new member Graham to the group.
1. Minute Number 912/15/FPG – to receive apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Chandra Sekhar, Frances Prockter, Mary Ross MBE, Nev Froggatt and Anne Evans.
2. Minute Number 913/15/FPG – Declarations of members interests (Parish Councillors)
There were no declarations of members interests.
3. Minute Number 914/15/FPG – To confirm the minutes of the meeting on 2nd July 2015
The Minutes of the Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 2nd July 2015 were circulated and approved as a true record.
4. Minute Number 915/15/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
Joan stated that statements had been received and the accounts balanced. The current account stands at £3708.92p and the reserve account stands at £5017.66p.
Joan reminded members that she would still like to hand over as treasurer and asked if anyone present would like to take it on. As there were no takers Joan went on to say that as Liz and Wendy had both left the group two more cheque signatories were required. Janet volunteered and Joan will ask Jan if she would agree to be the third.
As there were quite a few members absent it was decided to discuss buying items for the shop at the next meeting.
5. Minute Number 916/15/FPG – Communications and Notifications
All emails had been forwarded to all members for comments.
i) Heather referred to the email from Emma at the C&RT concerning Network Rail carrying out maintenance work alongside the railway line between 10th August and October. As the work necessitated them gaining access through our Jubilee Wood Emma had offered to act as liaison between ourselves and Network Rail. All agreed to accept Emma’s offer and to ask her to arrange a site meeting with Network Rail. Heather volunteered to email Emma and get a date.
Resolved: This item is to be added to the next agenda for update.
ii) Heather referred to the email from a rambler who had been chased by cows whilst going along the footpath through a field along Priory Way and who had asked for the name of the landowner. Heather has a copy of the email and will go and see the landowner before we reply to the rambler.
6. Minute Number 917/15/FPG – Reports from Sub Groups
The group consists of 3 management groups, admin, events and groundwork. As some members have left some groups are smaller than others. Since new members have joined the group it was agreed to overhaul the management structure at the next meeting when more members will be present. Joan will send out the minutes from the meeting held in January when the management structure was formed.
Resolved: This item is to be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
7. Minute Number 918/15/FPG – Reports and Evaluations from other meetings/events
i) Visit of pupils from Findern Primary School Wednesday 15th July 2015
Heather and Joan met Mrs Preston and 12 pupils on Lower Green and we visited Cardales Meadow and Cote Close before making our way along the towpath to Mercia Marina. Heather had compiled a quiz sheet for the children to complete along the way and all did very well. Heather states she had received a thank you email from Mrs Preston and it is hoped that we can repeat this event regularly.
ii) Visit to Foxton Locks Tuesday 21st July 2015
Janet, Heather and Frances attended and had a very nice time and learnt a lot about locks.
8. Minute Number 919/15/FPG – Project Planning
i) Butterfly Transect
Rota completed up to and including week 23. The final weeks will be completed at the next meeting.
ii) Leaflet Design with Derby University – approval of final draft
Frances and Janet had walked the route with the leaflet and made a number of alterations and amendments which Heather will pass on to Emma.
iii) New signage along the Trent and Mersey canal towpath, Hicklin’s Bridge and Nadee
Heather states she is still waiting to hear from Tom at the C&RT.
iv) ‘Big Path Watch’ promoted by the Ramblers Association
The Ramblers Association have set up this scheme to survey all public footpaths throughout the land and report any problems which hamper the right of way. Janet states when she and Frances were walking Priory Way they met a member of the Ramblers Association who has been surveying the rights of way in the East Midlands and Joan stated that an email had been received just before the meeting from the rambler and forwarded to all members. He stated in his email that ‘The state of footpaths I have walked in this area has generally been disappointing, the exception being those around Findern. Most of the positive features I have reported have been in the Findern area and you must be congratulated on the work you do to maintain Findern public footpaths and make walks interesting. I wish other communities took as much interest in their local footpaths.’ He went on to say that he had submitted his data to the Big Footpath Watch and would also be sending it to Derbyshire County Council and Derby City Council and that if we wanted he would send it to us too. All agreed it would be a good idea to have it.
Resolved: Joan will reply to the email and request the data be sent to us.
v) Accuracy of mapping rights of way
Jan states this stems from the item above in that a local resident, and member of the Ramblers Association, had surveyed our Footpath number FP5 Airport Way and discovered that the current route does not agree with that on the Ordnance Survey map. It was agreed that it would be a good idea to obtain the OS maps and GPS devices and survey all our paths ourselves.
Resolved: This item is to be added to the next agenda to discuss a plan of action.
9. Minute Number 920/15/FPG – Event Planning
i) Proposed visit of the Friends of Aston Brickworks
Heather states this visit is to be arranged for some time in September.
Resolved: This item is to be added to the next agenda to arrange a date.
ii) Proposed visit of Liz Woods, Development and Engagement Manager for Central Shires, Canal and River Trust, August 2015
Proposed dates are Monday 17th, Monday 24th or Tuesday 25th August. Heather will contact Liz and when a date is agreed she will email group members for those who wish to attend. It is proposed to meet Liz and have a walk along the towpath and call at the Nadee for refreshments afterwards.
iii) Mammal Walk Thursday 27th August 2015
The walk will be led by Debbie Alston and will set off from the Green at 1pm. It was agreed to charge £2.50 per adult and £5 for a family of four and this cost will include refreshments in the parish rooms afterwards. Joan agreed to do the poster and to take numbers re refreshments and Sheila and Liz will be in charge of refreshments after the walk.
iv) Teddy Bears’ Picnic Wednesday 2nd September 2015
Nev has been planning this and says he will need 2 helpers. Jan and Heather said they are available.
v) Fun on The Green Wednesday 28th October 2015
Joan reports that RSPB, DWT, Face Painting and Peter Lister have all confirmed they are coming.
Resolved: This item is to be added to the next agenda for update
10. Minute Number 921/15/FPG – Public Rights of Way Reports
Heather states the last kissing gate has been installed. She has sent an email to the contractors thanking them and she has also thanked the landowner for his cooperation. A lot of work needs to be done to clear the gates so it was agreed to meet at Lower Green at 6.30pm on Monday 10th August. Graham, Janet and Heather will start at the Littleover end and Joan, Liz and Sheila will start at the Findern end. It was agreed to arrange regular work parties to keep all our paths clear so there will be another work party on Friday 28th August, meet at 1pm on Lower Green.
11. Minute Number 922/15/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
Update re leases Stanhope Wood and Stanhope Hole Conservation Area. It was reported that at the emergency Parish Council meeting held on 30th July the Parish Council agreed to try and purchase the sites. Cllr Goodall reports that the agents have been instructed to approach the landowner with the Parish Council’s offer. The next Parish Council meeting is on Thursday 10th September 2015.
12. Minute Number 923/15/FPG – Wildlife Database
It was reported that a Purple Hairstreak butterfly had been seen flying around the top of an oak tree at the junction of Common Piece Lane and Crow Park Way, a first sighting for Findern, and that 3 White Letter Hairstreaks had been seen flying over elms in Stanhope Wood, another first for Findern. Members are reminded to pass all sightings to Janet for the spreadsheet and Joan for the website.
13. Minute Number 924/15/FPG – To confirm the date of the next meeting
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Parish Rooms, Findern on Thursday 3rd September 2015 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Heather Hall.