Findern Parish Council
Clerk: Mrs Clare Orme
Findern Parish Rooms, Lower Green, Findern, Derbyshire DE65 6AD
Tel: 0771 9599132
Minutes of the Findern Parish Council Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 5th November
2015 at the Parish Rooms, Findern commencing at 7 pm
Present: Heather Hall (Chair), Graham White, Nev Froggatt, Janet Macdonald, Frances Prockter, Jan
Ashford, Sheila Hughes, Anne Evans and Cllr Brian Goodall
1. Minute Number 950/1 5/FPG - To receive apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Joan Tidy, Liz Lenton, Ian Humphries, Mary Ross MBE
2. Minute Number 951 /1 5/FPG - Declaration of members’ interests (Parish Councillors)
There were no Declarations of members’ interests.
3. Minute Number 952/1 5/FPG – To confirm the minutes of the meeting on 1 st October 2015
Minutes of the Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 1 st October 2015 were circulated and approved
as a true record.
4. Minute Number 953/1 5/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
Joan states statements had been received and the accounts balanced. The reserve account stands at
£5017.98p and the current account stands at £3581.10p. Since balancing the accounts cheques have
been written for Peter Wood, £95, and Peter Lister, £100, for willow weaving and crazy critters
respectively, for Fun on the Green. £42.35p proceeds from the shop at the same event have been paid
into the current account.
Nev informed the meeting that the metal supports which were part of the boardwalk leading to Potlocks
Bridge are now surplus to requirements and he suggested that they could be sold to a metal scrap
merchant. Mercia Marina is replacing the path.
Action : Nev to arrange.
5. Minute Number 954/1 5/FPG – Communications and Notifications
i) Joan requested a volunteer to check the group emails whilst Janet and herself are away 16th-21 st
November 2015. No-one came forward and it was suggested that this occasion be a trial re
ii) Waterway Partnership
This is a Canal and River Trust meeting taking place at the Parish Rooms on 20th November 2015 10am-
12noon. Heather said she would attend and Frances will attend if she is available.
6. Minute Number 955/1 5/FPG – Reports and Evaluations from other meetings/events attended
i) Bat Box Check Saturday 24th October 2015
The results of this survey have been circulated round group members and it was pleasing to note that
there were signs of usage in 80% of the boxes.It has been suggested that another bat box be installed
possible one of the round type.
Action : to be put on the February agenda for discussion with Alan and Steven Roe
ii) Fun on the Green Wednesday 28th October 2015
It was felt that this event went well despite the wet weather in the morning and attendance was in excess
of 90 people. Anne had sold a significant amount of the items remaining in the shop and Frances
suggested having a Bran Tub at the Village Fete to dispose of the remaining stock.
Action : Heather to thank the village shop for a donation of items to sell and also Mr Hickling for
providing the bales of hay.
7. Minute Number 956/1 5/FPG – Project Planning
i) Finger posts Trent and Mersey Canal towpath - there has been no further movement on this.
Action : to be put on the January agenda
ii) Accuracy of mapping/Big Path Watch
Information had been received from a person who has carried out a Big Path Watch for most – if not all –
the footpaths within Findern so it was agreed not to pursue this further.
Heather informed the meeting that the Footpaths Officer is aware of the discrepancy in the mapping of
Airport Way but states that until there are sufficient funds available nothing can be done. Frances
expressed concern that there are also inaccuracies in the mapping of Crow Park Way. Jan will forward her
the information re contacting the Ordnance Survey.
Action : Jan to forward information to Frances
iii) Green Dog Walking Scheme
It appears that anyone interested in taking part in this scheme needs to register themselves individually.
Heather will contact the Dog Warden in respect of holding an information session on a Saturday morning
at the junction of Commonpiece Lane and Sycamore Avenue.
Action : Heather to contact the Dog Warden and bring suggested dates to the January meeting
iv) All Saints Church Christmas Festival 5th – 9th December 2015
Meeting arranged for 2pm Thursday 26th November 2015 to decide on a theme and review what
decorations we already have.
Action : Jan to obtain a small real Christmas Tree and book Parish rooms for 26th November.
8. Minute Number 957/1 5/FPG – Event Planning
i) SDDC Environmental Forum meeting Tuesday 24th November 2015 7pm-9pm Repton
Heather, Frances, Joan, Graham and possibly Nev expressed interest in attending. It was agreed to meet
at Lower Green at 6.30pm.
ii) National Forest Walking Festival Sponsored Walk Saturday 14th May 201 6
Joan, Frances and Jan are leading the Three Marinas walk (incorporating Mercia Marina, Stenson Marina
and Willington Marina). It can be shortened if people wish. It is a sponsored walk for the Chair of South
Derbyshire District Council’s chosen charities of Rainbows Hospice and SSAFA. Joan will endeavour to
obtain a street collectors licence so buckets can be shaken.
iii) Fun on the Green events 2016
It was agreed not to have an event in February 2016 as there is limited time to plan due to not meeting in
December and the weather is often very cold. We will however hold Fun on the Green next October halfterm as usual.
Various alternative events were discussed such as a Treasure Trail or Teddy Bears Picnic.
Action : to be put on agenda for January meeting
9. Minute Number 958/1 5/FPG – Public Rights of Way Reports
Priory Way – the Footpaths Officer, Lin Taylor, has walked this route recently. The correct route should go
through Mr Parnell’s farmyard but there could be an informal agreement with him that whilst this remains
the official route the walk leaflet states that there is a route via a kissing gate (which Findern Footpaths
Group need to repair). There will need to be a Permissive Footpath sign in place.
Action : Heather to discuss with Mr Parnell. To be put on the agenda for January
10. Minute Number 959/1 5/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
Update re purchase of Stanhope Wood and Stanhope Hole Conservation Area – The Parish Council have
made an offer for the land but it was refused. A temporary Tree Preservation Order is now in place and
letters have been sent to all villagers requesting support for this becoming permanent.
It was agreed that it is not appropriate to do anything in respect of the memorial benches and picnic tables
on the site at this present time.
Nev requested that the Parish Council contact the Highways Agency in respect of the Wildflower Meadow
and Cotes Close regarding the situation of lease and future management/ownership.
11. Minute Number 960/1 5/FPG – Wildlife Database
No updates provided.
12. Minute Number 961/15/FPG – Newsletter for approval and discussion re delivery of same
The section relating to the Footpaths Group had been received and was approved. A discussion took
place about possibly involving volunteers outside of the group to assist with leaflet delivery.
13. Minute Number 961 /1 5/FPG – Date of Next Meeting and Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held in the Parish Rooms, Findern on Thursday 7th January
2016 commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Heather Hall.