The next meeting of the Footpaths Group will be held in the Methodist Chapel, Lower Green
on Thursday, 3rd November 2016, commencing at 7 pm. The press and public are cordially
invited to attend.
1. To receive apologies for absence
2. Declarations of members interests (Parish Councillors)
3. To confirm the minutes of the previous meeting(s)
4. Finance and Fundraising
Storage rental due December
5. Communications and Notifications
6. Reports from Sub Groups
Hours worked by the payback team
Hours worked on the canal towpath
Delivery of the Parish Newsletter
Further direction of the group (to include meeting with Murrays 26th October)
Drafting of new constitution
7. Reports and evaluations from other meetings/events attended
Bat box check Saturday 22nd October
Fun on the Green Wednesday 26th October
8. Project Planning
9. Event Planning
‘A Year in the Woods’ Talk by Chris Hollis Friday 27th January 2017
10. Public Rights of Way Reports
11. Wildlife Site Management
Update re Stanhope Wood and Stanhope Hole Conservation AreaFindern Parish Clerk, Parish Rooms, Lower Green, Findern, Derbyshire DE65 6AD Tel: 01283 702732
12. Wildlife Database
13. To confirm the date of the next meeting.
Minutes of the Findern Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 3rd November 2016 at the
Methodist Chapel, Findern commencing at 7 pm
Heather Hall (Chair), Joan Tidy, Anne Evans, Frances Prockter, Janet Macdonald, Jan Ashford and Cllr
1. Minute Number 1094/16/FPG - To receive apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Liz Lenton, Sheila Hughes, Richard Berrington, Graham
White, Ian Humphries and Mary Ross MBE.
2. Minute Number 1095/16/FPG - Declaration of members’ interests (Parish Councillors)
There were no Declarations of members’ interests.
3. Minute Number 1096/16/FPG – To confirm the minutes of the previous meeting
Minutes of the Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 6th October 2016 were circulated and approved
as a true record.
4. Minute Number 1097/16/FPG – Finance and Fundraising
Joan states statements had been received and the accounts balanced
Payments: 2 x DD £35.94p for website maintenance (September and October). Cheques made out for
£120 to Amanda Muller for 3 months storage rental and for £25.40p to Joan Tidy for storage boxes.
Receipts: .23p interest on the Reserve account for August and .21p interest on the Reserve account for
September. Donation of £10 for the loan of the gazebo paid into the current account.
Current account stands at £2471.83p. Reserve account stands at £5020.44p.
Joan states storage rental is due in December.
There is nothing to report.
5. Minute Number 1098/16/FPG – Communications and Notifications
i) Heather stated she had contacted the Canal and River Trust to get details of who we liaise with
now their management structure had changed. Barry Keight has been replaced by Scott Miller
and the other contact is Wayne Ball. It is hoped that they will be contacting Heather soon to
arrange a meeting.
ii) Frances stated she had contacted Massey’s of Swadlincote re the mowers. 4 were deemed
unserviceable and 2 could possibly be repaired but this could not be guaranteed. Frances has
liaised with the Parish Council who have agreed that all 6 mowers should be scrapped (this has
been done) and they would look into buying 2 new up to date mowers ready for the start of the
mowing season next year.
Resolved: This item is to be added to January’s agenda for update285
6. Minute Number 1099/16/FPG – Reports from Sub Groups
i) Hours of work carried out by the Payback Team
Heather reports that the team came out on 1st and 15th October and carried out a total of 66 hours unpaid
work for and on behalf of the community
ii) Hours of work carried out on the canal towpath
A total of 10 hours work was carried out litter picking and checking the bat boxes
iii) Delivery of the Parish Newsletter
As there are fewer of us Heather suggested that we alter the routes to make them more even. It was
decided to try to involve more people in their local deliveries and a request will be made in the next edition
for more volunteers. Joan will bring the current delivery route list to the next meeting for it to be redrawn.
Resolved: This item is to be added to January’s agenda for further discussion.
iv) Further direction of the group (to include meeting with Murrays on 26th October)
Following the loss of the use of the Parish Rooms as a temporary measure Heather managed to find us a
garage which we leased for 3 months at a cost of £120. As we can’t afford to keep paying £120 every
quarter Heather set out to find an alternative solution and approached Murray’s to see if they could help.
Heather, Janet and Anne subsequently met Sue at Murrays and as well as storage space she also offered
us the use of a meeting room complete with table and chairs, use of a copier in an adjacent office, use of a
kitchen and toilet and storage inside for our files and outside of other items and all free of charge.
Members were asked for their views before a vote could be taken on whether to accept this offer. A
discussion followed during which all members present gave their opinions both for and against. Of the 6
members who were absent 2 had emailed their support for the offer and one had verbally supported it.
Within the meeting Cllr Goodall stated as he is the Parish Council’s representative and not a member of
the group he would abstain. Of the six members present 4 voted for (making a total of 6 for) and 2 voted
against. As the majority were in favour it was agreed to accept Murray’s offer. There is some work to be
done at Murray’s before we can move all our stuff, however, as we don’t meet in December is it hoped that
we can have moved all our files etc. and be ready for our first meeting at Murray’s on the 5th January 2017
but this will be confirmed nearer the time.
Heather was thanked for all her hard work in ensuring that we can continue to function as a group.
It was decided that as we are now a smaller group we will cut down on a lot of activities and concentrate
on keeping our footpaths clear and conserving our wildlife sites. Members also expressed a desire to
continue with the annual Butterfly Transect and Bat Box checks.
v) Drafting of a new constitution
It was agreed that the management group; Frances, Jan, Janet and Joan would meet on Friday 18th
November at Frances’ house to draft an amended constitution to bring before the group at the January
Resolved: This item is to be added to January’s agenda for further discussion/ratification.
7. Minute Number 1100/16/FPG – Reports and Evaluations
i) Bat box check Saturday 22nd October
Heather, Frances and Joan met with members of the Derbyshire Bat Conservation Group and a few
members of the public and had a very enjoyable morning checking our bat boxes. As well as evidence of
the occupation of some species of bat 5 Pipistrelles were found and measured.
ii) Fun on the Green Wednesday 26th October
Although it was a nice day weather wise and lots of people attended to see the owls and have a go at
willow weaving and other activities it was noticeable that numbers were down on previous events.
Resolved: Heather is to send a Thank You card to Andy at Shipley for all his hard work and
assistance without which we would not have been able to hold these events.
8. Minute Number 1101/16/FPG – Project Planning
Project Planning for 2017 is to include:
i) Further work on creating a footpath to meander through Jubilee Wood on the towpath
ii) Continued efforts to eradicate Himalayan Balsam from the towpath
iii) More work on the footpath at Airport Way
iv) Official group Christmas Card286
9. Minute Number 1102/16/FPG – Event Planning
‘A Year in the Woods’ talk by Chris Hollis Friday 27th January 2017.
Jan will send details to the Resource and to Kate for inclusion on our Facebook page. Joan will email
Chris to ask whether he does his own posters and publicity and if not ask Richard if he would like to have
a go at a poster. It was agreed to limit the number to 40 and to charge £3 per person to include
refreshments. Heather volunteered to take bookings and supplied her home phone number. It was agreed
to make a donation of £30 to the Methodist Chapel for the use of the Chapel for our October and
November meetings and a separate donation will be made after Chris’s talk.
Resolved: This item is to be added to January’s agenda for update.
10. Minute Number 1103/16/FPG – Public Rights of Way Reports
i) Heather reported that the Rushy Meadow Way footpaths sign on Lower Green is loose and said
she will get the payback team to see if it can be fixed.
ii) Heather is to contact the landowner re installing the signs on Priory Way as photographs are
required so we can begin the draft of the proposed walks leaflet
iii) Jan reported that the stile at the Heath Lane end of The Gostilles is overgrown and she will have a
go at clearing it herself.
11. Minute Number 1104/16/FPG – Wildlife Site Management
i) Cote Close Bird Sanctuary
Heather is to ask the payback team to either dig out or cut the tops off the self-seeded ash trees along the
ii) Crow Park Way bank
Heather reports that horses are being ridden on the banks of Crow Park Way going down towards the A50
underpass. Joan will make and laminate some signs for Heather to put up.
iii) Update re Stanhope Wood and Stanhope Hole Conservation Area
There is not further update at this time.
12. Minute Number 1105/16/FPG – Wildlife Database
Members are asked to forward all sightings to Janet by email.
13. Minute Number 1106/16/FPG – Date of Next Meeting and Chair
Resolved: The next meeting will be held (to be decided) Findern on Thursday 5th January 2017
commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Heather Hall.