Minutes of the Findern Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 5th January 2017 at Murrays, 25
Main Street, Findern commencing at 7 pm.
Heather Hall (Chair), Joan Tidy, Anne Evans, Liz Lenton, Sheila Hughes, Richard Berrington,
Graham White and Jan Ashford
1. To receive apologies for absence
Apologies were received and accepted from Frances Prockter, Janet Macdonald and Ian Humphries.
2. To confirm the minutes of the previous meeting
Minutes of the Footpaths Group meeting held on Thursday 3rd November 2016 were circulated and
approved as a true record.
3. Finance and Fundraising
Joan reported that statements had been received and the accounts balanced.
Payments: 2 x DD £35.94p for website maintenance (November and December).
Receipts: 8p interest on the reserve account.
Current account stands at £2214.95p. Reserve account stands at £5020.73p
Joan proposed that we purchase some new bat boxes for the wildlife sites. Heather agreed to liaise with
Steve at the Derbyshire Bat Conservation Group to ascertain what type of box, how many and from where
they could be purchased. This item will be added to the next agenda for further discussion.
Joan had obtained a quote for public liability insurance from Zurich but as it was agreed that 3 quotes
should be obtained Jan offered to try and obtain 2 more for discussion at the next meeting.
There is nothing to report.
4. Communications and Notifications
All emails had been forwarded to members and none required further discussion.
As we no longer have use of the parish rooms and therefore no access to a telephone landline it was
agreed that Joan would ask Devmac to remove the telephone number 01283 702732 from the website.
5. Reports from Sub Groups
i) Hours of work carried out by the Payback Team
Heather reported that the during November and December the payback team carried out 84 hours of
unpaid work for and on behalf of the community.
ii) Hours of work carried out on the canal towpath
During November 6 hours work carried out surveying the towpath with Wayne Ball C&RT.
iii) Delivery of the Parish Newsletter
It was agreed to keep to the usual system for the time being. If there is a shortfall of members some Parish
Councillors have volunteered to help out.
iv) Group Constitution
During discussion some minor amendments were proposed, Joan will make these and forward them for
further discussion at the next meeting.
v) Revocation of Membership of Entrust
Joan stated she had filled in the necessary form and sent it to Entrust. A reply has been received stating
that our request will be put to the board at their next meeting in March for their decision. As we have had
no LCF funding this should be a formality and we should get written confirmation of our revocation shortly
after the board meeting.
vi) Group Christmas card
Heather stated that we shall have our official card for Christmas this year.
6. Reports and Evaluations from other meetings/events attended
Meeting Wayne Ball C&RT 17th November 2016
Heather and Joan met Wayne at the Nadee and walked along the towpath and discussed the tasks we
hoped to accomplish this year. Wayne was very supportive and said he’d let Heather have a list of contact
numbers. To date no list has been received so Heather will contact Wayne for an update.
7. Project Planning
i) Improvements to the towpath
All agreed that our main task is to try and eradicate the Himalayan Balsam. To this end regular working
parties will go out and start pulling it up as soon as the shoots appear.
ii) More work on the footpath at Airport Way
It was ascertained that the improvements are needed on Little Derby Way not Airport Way. Jan stated it
would be a good idea to see if a circular walk could be planned to go across Little Derby Way to the A38
and then along what used to be the footpath to the old pedestrian bridge over the A38 (which was
demolished some time ago) to join up with Burton Road at the junction with Doles Lane. This item will be
added to the next agenda for further discussion.
iii) Cemetery extension
Heather asked whether members thought it would be a good idea if we were to offer our help to the
Council during the extension of the cemetery. Members agreed they would like to be involved so Heather
will contact the Council.
8. Event Planning
A Year in the Woods slide show Friday 27th January 2017 at 7.30pm
This is being held in the Methodist Chapel so numbers are limited to 40. It is unlikely that we will get more
than 40 but Heather will take numbers on the phone just in case. People can either pay Heather or pay on
the door on the night. Joan states posters have been received from Chris Hollis and are in the notice
boards. Richard will put the poster on the Findern Village Community Facebook page and Jan will ask
Kate to put it on our own Facebook page. It was agreed to charge £3 to include refreshments to cover
costs. Liz agreed to bring the refreshments and Joan reminded members to obtain receipts so they can be
reimbursed for any expenses.
9. Public Rights of Way Reports
i) Priory Way
Heather reported that the landowners had replaced gates at the far end and fixed the clapper gate so the
route is almost completed and ready for photographs to be taken for the leaflet. The duck boarding has not
yet been replaced with the pipe work as the area has been reseeded following work by Seven Trent but it
is hoped it will be finished soon.
ii) Rushy Meadow Way
Heather reported that the payback team had fixed the upright next to the style and it is now steady.
10. Wildlife Site Management
i) Cardales Meadow
Heather reported that the farmer had had a job opening the bottom gate to gain access to take the hay off
because of an oak tree which is now causing an obstruction. Heather will ask Martin Woodhouse for
advice on how to solve this problem.
ii) Cote Close Bird Sanctuary
Heather reported that the payback team had thinned out the self-set ash trees but that those removed had
been placed in the middle of the site. Members were asked to have a look at the site and decide whether
these should be left in situ or removed.
11. Wildlife Database
Nothing of note to report but all sightings should be forwarded to Janet (for inclusion on the spreadsheet)
and Joan (for inclusion on the website) by email.
12. Date of Next Meeting
Resolved: The next meeting will be held at Murrays, 25 Main Street, Findern on Thursday 2nd
February 2017, commencing at 7pm and will be chaired by Heather.